Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How big an turkey crown?

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2799
going for crown this year as only 3 of us so we ordered the smallest that Tesco’s have

but weve just added at least one more for Xmas day and. Boxing day

so now we have to think about how big we actually need.

we want Xmas day, Boxing Day dinner, and some sandwiches the day after

that sounds like 10 servings to me.  Which leads at 333/400/500g per serving (depending on who you read) gets you to 3.3kg to 5kg.   
Except most are 1.5kg to 2, or 2.5 to 3 kg???

so confused :(. Anyone with turkey crown experience ?
cheers 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    I have 5 for Christmas dinner and have a 13 pound turkey which will do Christmas Day and a pie or curry. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3062
    You will need 400g per serving (don't go lower) so 5 people x 400g = 2 kg, then the same for tea and the same for Boxing day so 6kg. If 4 people then 4.8kg.

Don't go by what any guide tells you, they never go enough, preferring to fill you up with veg instead and likewise turkey will be the most popular meat on the table for teatime and Boxing Day. Don't skimp on it!

Any left (and better more than not enough) then turkey curry on the 27th always a favourite!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28708
    People can eat half a kilo of turkey in one sitting? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3062
    @Sporky ;

400g = 14oz - don't forget there will be shrinkage, so they're not actually eating 400g/14oz

It depends on how much people 'like turkey' and how much they're likely to fill up on veg, tats, stuffing and pigs in blankets. Personally, I'd scoff 14oz of turkey in a sitting but then again I'd also scoff a 16oz Rib-Eye steak.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited December 2018
    Don't know, can't stand turkey. I've got a 2.5 kilo shoulder of local free range pork on order. Slow cook for 8 or so hours and....

https://media.giphy.com/media/Zk9mW5OmXTz9e/giphy.gif

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16156
    edited December 2018
    Vile,dry tasteless American fodder.
    Get a Duck or a Goose.......a good Rib-eye joint or a haunch of Venison or even a couple of Corn fed chickens.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2799
    Dominic said:
    Get a Duck or a Goose.......a good Rib-eye joint or a haunch of Venison or even a couple of Corn fed chickens.
    Duck, Goose, beef and venison all out because of iron content :(

have been eating chicken I ken pretty much full stop this year as a result

am quite looking forward to a real turkey rather than turkey mince 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6167
    Dominic said:
    Agreed... I prefer the brown meet. Morrison's sell the the big leg joints for about £4.50. Slow cook those for 5 hours and they are sublime, like pulled-pork on steroids. :) The flavour.. oh God the flavour is to die for!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    edited December 2018
    Was planning on having 8 legs of venison buy thought it would be too dear :-)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8015
    edited December 2018
    get a proper turkey, legs and all. 
    Jamie Oliver Turkey and Leak pie recipe is a huge Boxing Day crowd pleaser for bugger all money. 
    Just use what’s left over, plus an extra £3 ingredients, feeds a battalion!

I’m a vegetarian, but I make this for my family every year!  They love it (up to 25 In a sitting!)

Marlin
  • Nothing wrong with filling up on stuffing and roast root veg. All good scran :) Not to mention pigs in blankets and yorkshire pud :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    TheMarlin said:
    get a proper turkey, legs and all. 
    Jamie Oliver Turkey and Leak pie recipe is a huge Boxing Day crowd pleaser for bugger all money. 
    Just use what’s left over, plus an extra £3 ingredients, feeds a battalion!

I’m a vegetarian, but I make this for my family every year!  They love it (up to 25 In a sitting!)

Marlin
    This is the pie I do. Tremendous stuff   
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    edited December 2018
    sev112 said:
    going for crown this year as only 3 of us so we ordered the smallest that Tesco’s have

but weve just added at least one more for Xmas day and. Boxing day

so now we have to think about how big we actually need.

we want Xmas day, Boxing Day dinner, and some sandwiches the day after

that sounds like 10 servings to me.  Which leads at 333/400/500g per serving (depending on who you read) gets you to 3.3kg to 5kg.   
    Except most are 1.5kg to 2, or 2.5 to 3 kg???

so confused . Anyone with turkey crown experience ?
    cheers 

Now that I'm back in chef world, I'm cooking one or two crowns a day for the next fortnight

With a crown, you won't get the same shrinkage you get with pork or beef. I'll be cooking in in about 12 hours time this way:

-stick both on wire trays into a gastro. Season with salt and pepper. Pour some water into each gastro. chopped onion and herbs of your choice into the water. Foil around each gastro. Give them 20 mins in the oven. Take 'em out, remove the foil, and whack the oven temp up. Let ovens heat up for five mins than chuck the birds back in until the skin is crisp. When you take them out, retain the water in the gastros for gravy. 

My advice: buy 3 of the 2 kgs one. Cook two for Xmas day. Piss easy to do another one on Boxing Day. 

I think I'm doing beef three ways on Xmas Day. Haven't figured out my menu yet. Definitely going short rib for one of them. 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9741
    edited December 2018
    Shrews said:

It depends on how much people 'like turkey' and how much they're likely to fill up on veg, tats, stuffing and pigs in blankets...
    ‘So Pooh’, asked Piglet, ‘What’s this pigs-in-blankets thing you want me to be a part of?’
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Eeyore wasn't featured in this tale as he was already part of a Tesco lasagne. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Get an extra crown and also a nice bit of gammon. Goes well with the turkey saves meat fatigue when you have eaten nothing but turkey for 2 days and it’s even nicer cold
  • There's only 2 of us here. I'm still cooking a full turkey. I like legs and I like leftovers :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2221
    'Brining' the turkey makes a big difference.  I leave it overnight in a massive bucket of salty water with sugar, spices and shit.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11975
    Sporky said:
    People can eat half a kilo of turkey in one sitting? 
    I was thinking that, finally found a link to a page which indicates you lose most of the weight during cooking, they say serving size is 140-175g each:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/christmas-portion-planner

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11975
    For me, I can see why turkey doesn't sell well the rest of the year, it's not as nice as other meats.

It seems it's only been popular here since after WW2:

http://www.britishturkey.co.uk/facts-and-figures/christmas-stats-and-traditions.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/629175/christmas-dinner-turkey-meal-lunch-festive-season-food