Barefaced AVD guitar cabs - not open backed, not closed back, not even ported; but something new!

What's Hot

Comments

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    ah man!

If I hadn't bought a cab already I would have tried one of those.

Bah.
    I'm tempted, I must admit!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24364
    ah man!

If I hadn't bought a cab already I would have tried one of those.

Bah.
    I'm tempted, I must admit!!
    They've got a great return policy so it might be worth you trying one.
  • StephenBStephenB Frets: 75
    timbuk02 said:
    PSA
    Looks like Barefaced have a sale on with these at pretty much half price (!)
    Wow...£249 is a hell of a price for these.

And...pssst...if things align properly, one lucky Fretboarder might get one even cheaper than that soon...
    I'd be on that one very quickly if it were the case ;) 

Does anyone know how well these would fare with a Katana 100 head? Thanks!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26627
    StephenB said:
    timbuk02 said:
    PSA
    Looks like Barefaced have a sale on with these at pretty much half price (!)
    Wow...£249 is a hell of a price for these.

And...pssst...if things align properly, one lucky Fretboarder might get one even cheaper than that soon...
    I'd be on that one very quickly if it were the case ;) 

Does anyone know how well these would fare with a Katana 100 head? Thanks!
    I don't know anybody who's tried one. However, if all comes off the way it's planned, Drew and I should be trying it out with a few things (a couple of his amps, my Helix/Powerstage 170 rig, maybe a Jet City...).
    <space for hire>
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    hmm, cool as satellite speakers for some kind of stereo dealy
  • BarefacedAudioBarefacedAudio Frets: 34
    tFB Trader
    Trude said:
    I'd be up for the British 12" version of this, but I don't want green tolex/black cloth!  Why they would use such a niche colour scheme without any option to change is beyond me.  Green with silver would be marginally better, but that's only for the US voiced version. 

Baffling (no pun intended)
    Every guitar cab we make is available with dozens of different tolex and grill cloth customisations: https://barefacedaudio.com/pages/customisations
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72414
    BarefacedAudio said:

Every guitar cab we make is available with dozens of different tolex and grill cloth customisations
    Out of interest, do you - or are you likely to - do a textured paint finish, like a lot of modern PA cabs, and some acoustic and bass amps?

I’ve got a couple of these and I prefer them to tolex - it looks smart, seems hardwearing, and must save a few ounces!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    BarefacedAudio said:

Every guitar cab we make is available with dozens of different tolex and grill cloth customisations
    Out of interest, do you - or are you likely to - do a textured paint finish, like a lot of modern PA cabs, and some acoustic and bass amps?

I’ve got a couple of these and I prefer them to tolex - it looks smart, seems hardwearing, and must save a few ounces!
    Looking at the site, they do seem to offer it at £50 over the normal price.
    <space for hire>
  • BarefacedAudioBarefacedAudio Frets: 34
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    BarefacedAudio said:

Indeed we do. I doubt it saves any weight though - it's heavy stuff and goes on thick!
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Trude said:
    I'd be up for the British 12" version of this, but I don't want green tolex/black cloth!  Why they would use such a niche colour scheme without any option to change is beyond me.  Green with silver would be marginally better, but that's only for the US voiced version. 

Baffling (no pun intended)
    Every guitar cab we make is available with dozens of different tolex and grill cloth customisations: https://barefacedaudio.com/pages/customisations
    Really? Great!!
    I'm interested in this as I'm looking for a compact but big sounding speaker.

Do you have many people using them out in the field with valve amps?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Here’s a Rob Chapman review featuring Alex from BF:

https://youtu.be/OgkxjWZhfcw

Yeah, so...that proves that these things are for real :)

I'm interested to get my hands on one, because I'd like to see how it fares in my usual use case - it's used for on-stage sound (which is obviously going to be dispersed much more widely), but there's a mic in front going to the FoH desk. Will the close-mic sound markedly different to a normal cab? Hmmm....
    <space for hire>
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    @BarefacedAudio that was a  great video!!! cabs look fantastic.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    The only small issue - which isn't an issue for me, but might be for some - is that because the cabs are louder for the same input signal, they're actually less appropriate for home use (given that lots of valve amps have hair triggers at the lower end of the scale).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Forgive me but I couldn’t find any technical info with photos that demonstrate the construction difference. Can the cab be ordered without a cone?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    lukedlb said:
    Forgive me but I couldn’t find any technical info with photos that demonstrate the construction difference. Can the cab be ordered without a cone?
    There are pictures of the construction on their website and an exploded animation in that video.
    I doubt they’ll offer a bare cab as there’s a HPF tuned to the particular driver fitted.
    simonk said:
    Here’s a Rob Chapman review featuring Alex from BF:

https://youtu.be/OgkxjWZhfcw

That's very interesting!
    @BarefacedAudio ;

Question about the 2x12 - does the defraction wotsit work properly if the cab has to be used on it's end, if there is a small stage / limited space?
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Alex, if and when you bring out a 2x10 GX cab I'll be at the front of the queue :)
  • BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 228
    Great video, its nice to see some fresh thinking in this stagnant industry. Good luck with the patent application.