Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS McCartys. Tell me all....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 19791979 Frets: 87
    edited December 2018
    I had a lovely looking 2011 McCarty but had to sell it as I didn’t think my playing warranted such a guitar. Lovely thing to play though, just behaved itself in your hands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4717
    edited December 2018
    I have a CE24 and wanted a McCarty, so bought one on here.  TBH, we never gelled and I think it was a combination of the slightly larger neck and the darkness of the thing, plus it felt like the guitar equivalent of a classic car.  But then again I also sold an LP Studio, a Standard and a Classic as I didn't gel with them either as they were all a bit, well, dark sounding.  But I've also sold three Strats and three Teles beacuse they were, well, a bit bright...............  

I have learned that buying things because you think you need them, and also because they look great, isn't the wisest way forward and would advise treading with caution in the matter of McCartys.  
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4717
    Fuengi said:
    I do wonder that had it not been for the Gibson lawsuit, PRS would not be considered directly comparable with Les Paul. 

They appear to me to be very different guitars. 
    But that, surely, is the whole point of the McCarty - to be directly comparable but better...........
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited December 2018
    I’ve owned two. 

A 2002 that looked great and was quite lightweight. But it lacked low end grunt. My brother owns it now. 

Then I had @bluemonst ‘s 98 McCarty Goldtop. That was heavier and acoustically sounded great. But my personal experience was that the pickups were a bit underwhelming. I sold it on to finance an engagement ring. 

I loved both of them in terms of build and fit and finish. But I think if I was gonna buy another one I’d probably change the pickups. They sort of are trying to be a bit like the Lollar versions of a PAF. But the ones I had on both lacked clarity. 

Im basing that on my preferences. I think if I was in a blues band they’d be OK. But for heavier styles...not sure. 

In comparison to a Les Paul. Only you will be able to answer that question by trying a few.  There’s a whole emotional aspect to owning an iconic guitar vs one that is very functional. 
  • I have a Les Paul Traditional and I love it. Everything sounds good like clean, classic rock, high gain stuff, etc.

I also have a CE24 in Amber, which I'm selling it, and I'm kind of struggling to find a good use of it. Although it looks pretty and plays really nicely.

A McCarty has always been under my radar. Possibly my next one.
  • gassner said:
    I have a Les Paul Traditional and I love it. Everything sounds good like clean, classic rock, high gain stuff, etc.

I also have a CE24 in Amber, which I'm selling it, and I'm kind of struggling to find a good use of it. Although it looks pretty and plays really nicely.

A McCarty has always been under my radar. Possibly my next one.
    A few people have mentioned 24 fret CEs/Customs and 22 fret Customs, yet haven’t played a McCarty or variant. It’s probably worth pointing out that they are radically different. The shorter, fatter necks - and thicker mahogany backs make for a much thicker sounding guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8739
    My McCarty has previously been owned by several forum members. None of them seemed to get on with it, presumably because it sounds so thick. I immediately replaced the pots, which looked worn and overheated. This improved the sound no end. Recently I’ve swapped the standard pickups for a pair of Oil City Creatures which are brighter still, and give a better tapped coil sound.

I like feel and playability of the guitar, but agree that the sound is not to everyone’s taste.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    edited December 2018
    I have owned a couple of older McCarty,s and currently have a new one. I think the old ones are some of the best guitars PRS built. As others have said they can be a little dark but this can work really well for dirty tones.

The newer ones have far brighter more PAF like pickups.

I,ve got a 594 currently as well which is great and supposed to be closer to a Les Paul with it's shorter scale and thicker body but I think the std McCarty is just as close.

I,d love another older McCarty if I could find one at the right price.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I've only played a McCarty for an hour or so but thought it sounded much more like my LP than my Custom 22. I liked it a lot but given I'd sold a Tele in  the same shop to reduce the herd I had to pass on it. 
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3769
    edited December 2018
    My 2000 McCarty sounded insanely good with saturated drive. Stunning. It was unbalanced physically though and I found it uncomfortable. Oh, and it had moon inlays  s

I had a 2011 McCarty Dallas Shootout too which was physically perfectly balanced and played great. Its vintage sound was amazing. But not quite what I wanted, as I lusted after a rosewood neck.

Either way, a McCarty for me will always play better than a Les Paul. Higher fret access being a bit factor. Get a McCarty with a rosewood neck that is balanced weight-wise and I doubt you would be unhappy. They don’t look as cool though!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    My 2000 McCarty sounded insanely good with saturated drive. Stunning. It was unbalanced physically though and I found it uncomfortable. Oh, and it had moon inlays  s

I had a 2011 McCarty Dallas Shootout too which was physically perfectly balanced and played great. Its vintage sound was amazing. But not quite what I wanted, as I lusted after a rosewood neck.

Either way, a McCarty for me will always play better than a Les Paul. Higher fret access being a bit factor. Get a McCarty with a rosewood neck that is balanced weight-wise and I doubt you would be unhappy. They don’t look as cool though!
    Those older PRS pickups seemed to be designed for that saturated Santana kind of sound.

I had a rosewood neck McCarty.  It's the one guitar I kind of regret selling.  It was a great guitar, but it didn't have a lot of high end, and didn't tend to cut through a mix.  With hindsight, I probably should have tried some different pickups in it.

I tried a 594 in a shop a little while back.  Overall it's the best maple topped PRS I've played.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    DaveMon said:
    What about looking at the 245?
    There are SE versions available, and should should closer to a LP.

Or one of the Bernie Marsden signatures. (Although different control layout.)
    Yep, the Bernie's are great guitars. Especially the satin neck version. The ones I've played have been very loud and resonant acoustically. The PRS design has much much better upper fret access too.
  • McCartys don't have the Gibson neck angle thing though do they? I guess they must feel very different to play.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23013
    McCartys don't have the Gibson neck angle thing though do they? I guess they must feel very different to play.
    The neck's angled, but not as steeply as a modern Gibson USA LP.  The stoptail bridge sits quite close to the body.  It's probably not very much different from the neck angle of a Custom Shop LP, but of course the neck joint itself is totally different.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Philly_Q said:
    McCartys don't have the Gibson neck angle thing though do they? I guess they must feel very different to play.
    The neck's angled, but not as steeply as a modern Gibson USA LP.  The stoptail bridge sits quite close to the body.  It's probably not very much different from the neck angle of a Custom Shop LP, but of course the neck joint itself is totally different.
    This is true.  It still doesn't feel like playing Fender that has no angle at all.
  • Do custom shop LPs have a shallower neck angle? Hmmm...
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Yep, Custom Shop models are more historically accurate and the angle is shallower than on Standards.
  • Bugger. Oh well...wrong thread for that conversation.  :/