Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS McCartys. Tell me all....

What's Hot
I've wanted a Les Paul Standard (Gibson!) for a long time and I've decided that I'm going save like a mofo and get one sometime next year. Part of it is because I love the look / tone, and part is because Les Paul!

However I currently play a PRS CU 24 SE and being honest I do love the PRS.

So when googling the subject there are many posts singing the McCartys praises and it's got me thinking that maybe that would be a better option. Now when I say McCarty I mean one of the normal ones, and not the 594 (I wish!) as it's probably going to take bit of a stretch of the budget to even get a used normal one!

Anyone any experience of the two and care to shed any light on the subject?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Scale length is the big difference between the PRSs, along with the controls, and neither do what a Les Paul does. They have their own thing going on.

I much prefer the PRS models as they fit me better ergonomically and I think they sound better. YMMV vary of course.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3351
    I’ve had two “normal “ ones and they don’t sound like a les Paul, very close but not the same. 
    Both played great and the coil taps where very useful. 
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I used to own a McCarty and have owned a couple of Las Pauls. As stated above they're different. Ergonomically more comfortable to play with better upper fret access. But if it's a Las Paul you want may still be left wanting. That was the case for me anyway.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I do wonder that had it not been for the Gibson lawsuit, PRS would not be considered directly comparable with Les Paul. 

They appear to me to be very different guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24854
    edited December 2018
    McCarty pick-ups are darker and more ‘veiled’ that later PRS designs, such as 57/08s. In my experience, stop-tail McCartys produce a lot of low end - but with stock pick-ups - are somewhat lacking in sparkle/clarity.

Later models with 57/08s cure his. The most obvious other model is the DGT - which adds a trem, a slightly different neck carve and independent volume controls to the McCarty recipe - along with great-sounding stock pick-ups. Definitely in the Les Paul ballpark tonally but with vastly superior ergonomics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    McCarty pick-ups are darker and more ‘veiled’ that later PRS designs, such as 57/08s. In my experience, stop-tail McCartys produce a lot of low end - but with stock pick-ups - somewhat lacking in sparkle/clarity.

Later models with 57/08s cure his. The most obvious other model is the DGT - which adds a trem, a slightly different neck carve and independent volume controls to the McCarty recipe - along with great-sounding stock pick-ups. Definitely in the Les Paul ballpark tonally but with vastly superior ergonomics.
    The trem changes the sound.  McCarty is closer to LP than the DGT (have owned all three - only got the LP now).
  • If you want a Les Paul, you will want that Les Paul until you get one.  The itch will spread all over your body until you are consumed, nothing else will sate it.  You must have the Les Paul.  You will eventually get the Les Paul, convincing yourself that this will be the guitar of your dreams and "The One".  Oh my foolish friend that is when the GAS will truly take its hold on you, for then you will want the next "The One" or this years version of "The One" or you will need something that contrasts with "The One" and will that be a Strat or a Tele.  Oh it is such a slippery slope.  

Basically, if you want an LP, get one and hang on tight, its going to be a long ride.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
  • If you want a Les Paul, you will want that Les Paul until you get one.  The itch will spread all over your body until you are consumed, nothing else will sate it.  You must have the Les Paul.  You will eventually get the Les Paul, convincing yourself that this will be the guitar of your dreams and "The One".  Oh my foolish friend that is when the GAS will truly take its hold on you, for then you will want the next "The One" or this years version of "The One" or you will need something that contrasts with "The One" and will that be a Strat or a Tele.  Oh it is such a slippery slope.  

Basically, if you want an LP, get one and hang on tight, its going to be a long ride.
    See this is certainly a factor. As much as I know a McCarty will be a fantastic guitar, my desire for a Les Paul isn't solely based on reason. It's a guitar I've lusted after for many years for no other reason than it's a Les Paul!
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1452
    Hairdoom said:
    See this is certainly a factor. As much as I know a McCarty will be a fantastic guitar, my desire for a Les Paul isn't solely based on reason. It's a guitar I've lusted after for many years for no other reason than it's a Les Paul!
    You need to own a Les Paul just to find out what the fuss is about.  It's a legendary guitar for good reason, but no guitar is perfect.  I've owned many, now I own none.

I do still have a McCarty though (mine's a 94).  It's not perfect either, and it's not a Les Paul but they cover similar ground.  I've owned it longer than the sum total of all my years of LP ownership put together which says it all.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I've lusted after a McCarty for many years even though I had a Custom22 10 top. Lusted after a les paul too and got one after many years looking for one. Love it and sold me PRS. Les Paul's just sound more organic and raucous to my ears. Prs are just too perfect. Faultless build quality obviously,and nice and light.Cant speak for mccarty as i havent actually played one.Just my opinion mind. Everyone's different.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    gringopig said:
    If that's the case, go for a Les Paul Standard and accept nothing else.
    Sadly this may not be enough. There will be lingering curiosity about custom shop Las Pauls 
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    if you can stretch, buy a used post 2013 R8. Aim to pay 2k ish.
  • I spent a long time deliberating this myself. I was only happy when I went through two Les Paul Standards (physically owned them) and tried a whole lot of 594's, Singlecut's and McCarty's...I ended up with a 2017 R8 which is the absolute best of them all. I'm absolutely smitted with it. It's got the R9 profile which is a bonus and makes me love it more.

I also own a Custom 24, and between those two guitars, I've got the best of PRS and the best of Gibson, for my particular needs.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • What about looking at the 245?
    There are SE versions available, and should should closer to a LP.

Or one of the Bernie Marsden signatures. (Although different control layout.)
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3351
    edited December 2018
    I had a les Paul traditional 2016 and my 2006 Mccarty at the same time, I got the les Paul to see what the fuss was about but never really bonded with it. I kept the Mccarty until bills needed paying. When money allows I’d get another Mccarty. 
    It was a more functional instrument to me, easier to play from ergodynamics and the coil  taps made it more versatile. The Gibson smelt better though. 
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 205
    Having got a les Paul standard a couple of weeks ago I’d say get the les Paul... I’ve been a prs fan since 2001 when I got my first, I’ve had most models but none a quite like the les Paul. There’s this weird unrefinedness to it, hard to explain but , just do it , hope u get a good one! 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    RMJ said:
    gringopig said:
    If that's the case, go for a Les Paul Standard and accept nothing else.
    Sadly this may not be enough. There will be lingering curiosity about custom shop Las Pauls 

That might not be enough either.  If you get a plaintop, and I've had two of them, then there is always that thing at the back of your mind that you would like an R9!

I know this from experience, which is why I bought the R9 in my avatar in the August frenzy rather than a plaintop R8.