Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What has Drew been up to?

What's Hot

Comments

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    octatonic said:
    I tend to think we have psychological processes that allow us to be comfortable with whatever reality we happen to be experiencing.

I respect Drew's position but it implies that anyone who doesn't do X is living a meaningless life.

I don't buy into that (and I'm not sure that is what Drew is saying either, it is just how I interpret that statement).

It could be that my life is meaningless, but I don't feel like my life lacks meaning.
    I mostly love what I do and how I live.

I do have some responsibilities outside myself- staff need to be paid and given a safe working environment, my mum needs to help from time to time but otherwise I guess I don't have many traditional *responsibilities* beyond paying bills and taxes.
    I do things, as a rule, because I feel like I am building upon the things I've done previously- the worth in doing them is largely self-evident. 

I think the quote refers to responsibilities in general. Not just kids. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Fair play Drew. Nice work on the piano.

There’s no instructions for fatherhood and a whilst I’m sure there’s some basic ideas that work - all kids are different, we are all different and you’ve just got to work it all out on the fly and make the mistakes along the way.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    Sporky said:
    Snap said:

Parenthood - so many opinions on what it should be, shouldn't be. 

To quote the great Mrs Bradley:

"There are three golden rules when raising a child; sadly, no-one knows what any of them are."
    Having children: the most dangerous thing you can do without needing a licence. 

Wotcha Drew, welcome back  ;)
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    Image result for monkey waving
    tae be or not tae be
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited February 2020
    Where you've been just takes you to where you are.

• bunch of wets

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jordan Peterson talks about responsibility being the thing that gives your life meaning. To bear a burden on your shoulders, and to do it proudly and with dignity.

Which is how I'm trying to tackle fatherhood.

I've had my years of pleasure. And at the time I didn't think it was meaningless, but it truly was.
    Fatherhood is easy, work out what's best for your kids and do it. Your kids dont ask to be born, you inflict life on them. The least you can do is the guide them on how to enjoy life, everything else is bullshit.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    octatonic said:
    I tend to think we have psychological processes that allow us to be comfortable with whatever reality we happen to be experiencing.

I respect Drew's position but it implies that anyone who doesn't do X is living a meaningless life.

I don't buy into that (and I'm not sure that is what Drew is saying either, it is just how I interpret that statement).

It could be that my life is meaningless, but I don't feel like my life lacks meaning.

I do have some responsibilities outside myself- staff need to be paid and given a safe working environment, my mum needs to help from time to time but otherwise I guess I don't have many traditional *responsibilities* beyond paying bills and taxes.
    I do things, as a rule, because I feel like I am building upon the things I've done previously- the worth in doing them is largely self-evident. 

Reminds me of a good book I once read, "Man's search for meaning" by Viktor Frankl. Worth a read, if you haven't already.
  • 34 and you’ve had a mid life crisis? What’ll you do at 44 and 54?
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Good to have you back Drew.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    kaypeejay said:
    34 and you’ve had a mid life crisis? What’ll you do at 44 and 54?
    44 - have an affair.
    54 - Buy a caravan.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I hope things work out for you Drew. Best wishes.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Kilgore said:
    kaypeejay said:
    44 - have an affair.
    54 - Buy a caravan.
    Or perhaps slightly more realistically....

44 - wish you were having an affair
    54 - wish you could afford to buy a caravan

Welcome back Drew.  I like the humility and honesty of your original post. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12368
    I'm 44 hmmm
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    I'm 44 hmmm
    Yeah... but if you're an early developer, you can miss out the tawdry affair and go straight to buying a trailer tent - in preparation for all the fun when you're 54.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Kilgore said:
    kaypeejay said:
    44 - have an affair.
    54 - Buy a caravan.
    64 - cottage on the Isle of Wight (if its not too dear)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5168
    Nice to see you back dude....That Burny Les Paul seems to be a constant in your life :)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6123
    Welcome back to the clan Drew. It's been monochromatic since you've been gone and now it's back to full technicolor!  :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:

Honestly, it's not that anyone who doesn't do X is living a meaningless life. It's more that anyone who doesn't do 'THEIR OWN PERSONAL X' is living a meaningless life. That's the entire point behind Jordan Peterson's statements on this. It isn't that there is only one way to live life and that everyone should conform to it. It's that internally to yourself you know what life it is you should be living, and if you're not doing it for some reason - fear, insecurity, money, external pressure, etc... - then you're not giving your life the meaning it perhaps could have.

My personal 'X' for the longest time was my band. I don't mind telling you that right now I am getting more satisfaction and enjoyment out of just being a dad and a home guitarist. But honestly that's more to do with the slackness and the dysfunction in the band right now.
    NelsonP said:
    From memory most studies into what makes you happy have concluded that parenthood has no relationship, or maybe a slightly negative one with happiness. 

Keeping healthy, being happily married (or in a long term partnership), keeping up with friends and having enough money (not necessarily being rich) are much more important 'predictors' of happiness in the long run.

If you really want to be happy, move to Scotland
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/nesscontent/dvc238/index.html

Parenthood is bloody hard and extremely rewarding in equal measures. But at least your genes get to stay on the planet after you've gone, so there's that.
    I spent most of my life measuring success by my "happiness" quotient. It's a poor way to judge one's life I think. I started to try and find meaning in other ways a few years ago. I sorta had to. I can't go into all the details but mindlessly chasing happiness became a bit of a prison and I would say I was taken advantage of in many ways because I was blind to the other possibilities that life can give.

Anyway... those were the responses swirling around in my head the past few days. Only just got a chance to put them down.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jordan Peterson talks about responsibility being the thing that gives your life meaning. To bear a burden on your shoulders, and to do it proudly and with dignity.

Which is how I'm trying to tackle fatherhood.

I've had my years of pleasure. And at the time I didn't think it was meaningless, but it truly was.

That's a really great way of looking at it.

I find some of Jordan Peterson's stuff a bit odd, but on the subject of taking responsibility he's putting out a message which people (especially young blokes) need and is missing from modern discourse.

That's the mystery of JBP. Much of his talk about religion is utter bollocks but that simple core message can be narrowed down to "take responsibility". Whether it's through parenthood, responsibility for your health, whatever it may be, it is down to you. 

If music/artistic expression is the thing that brings meaning to your life, then it is valid. If it is sport, it is valid. It's about honesty with yourself as to whether the things you pursue are positive in your life. An alcoholic could claim that drinking gives their life validity: to then back that up with anecdotal evidence as to how drinking is a positive influence would be somewhat hard.