Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Albums you'd like a band to re-record

What's Hot

Comments

• tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    .....And justice for all.

But with Bass guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "Give 'Em Enough Rope"  by The Clash......Sandy Pearlman made it sound like it was recorded in an old shortbread tin.....
  • ....and on reflection it'd be a bugger to re-record with Joe passed not far off 20 years....
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited December 2018
    Showing my age here, but I've long wished that the early Little Feat albums weren't recorded with all the depth of compressed cardboard.

They were brilliant live, and though there were some hits, the records were a huge disappointment comparatively.

• ICBM said:
    richardhomer said:

I’m not sure Water’s gripe with fame deserves such a (dare I say it?) turgid portrayal.
    Which exactly confirms my point. If you think it's about his 'gripe with fame', you've clearly failed to understand it.

Actually, it needs one *extra* track to make it perfect - When The Tigers Broke Free should be at the beginning. It was recorded at the time but not used because the others thought it "too personal". Well duh...
    Also needs the full version of What Shall We Do Now which was played live and in the movie, but didn't fit on the album.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd like to have Maiden's Seventh Son with a bit more grunt. I feel this is more a mixing issue and than re-recording though. Martin Birch tended to have rhythm guitars too low in the mix on mid-period Maiden. Fear of the Dark album is perhaps the worst for this with some great rhythm stuff in there, but it's too quiet. 

I'd like a version of An Justice for All where we can hear Jason. 

And just to be sacrilegious I'd like Springsteen to redo Born to Run without on the twinkly stuff like glockenspiels and the like. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ICBM said:

Which exactly confirms my point. If you think it's about his 'gripe with fame', you've clearly failed to understand it.

Actually, it needs one *extra* track to make it perfect - When The Tigers Broke Free should be at the beginning. It was recorded at the time but not used because the others thought it "too personal". Well duh...
    Interesting .. not considered that, but it makes sense.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    ICBM said:

...Warren Zevon’s Learning To Flinch, which I found unlistenable due to the guitar sounds.
    First album that came to my mind. The vocals are often lost in  the mix too.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.

• And just to be sacrilegious I'd like Springsteen to redo Born to Run without on the twinkly stuff like glockenspiels and the like. 
    Just imagine me giving you "a look"... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited December 2018
    Showing my age here, but I've long wished that the early Little Feat albums weren't recorded with all the depth of compressed cardboard.

They were brilliant live, and though there were some hits, the records were a huge disappointment comparatively.

For the time they're fine, besides, most of the later albums are Amazingly well recorded, especially The Last Record Album (Massenburg)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2386
    Re-records so rarely happen but did you see that Joe Bonamassa is redoing the guitar parts and vocals on his New Day Yesterday recording for a 20th Anni edition release? Must be Kevin Shirley wanted to stamp his same old mark on the Tom Dowd production......
    Personally I'd like to see my old favourites Green On Red back in the studio to re do Snakes or some of the other stuff. 
  • Ooh, just remembered U2's Pop. There are some good songs in there, but the recording process was a complete mess. If they'd re-done it immediately after the tour that followed it would've been a great record.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2960
    Impossible to do but I would love National Health to re-record Ds al Coda without the Simmons drum kit. Sadly Pip and Phil no longer with us and Dave Stewart won’t touch his old band output anymore. Still a great tribute to Alan Gowan though. If you haven’t heard it, etc ... 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • ionianionian Frets: 100
    Offspring - Smash

I know it's supposed to sound raw but using something more sophisticated than a Tascam 4 track and letting Brian have more than one take at the vocals would give it the tweak it needs. Maybe. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72409
    Strat54 said:
    Re-records so rarely happen but did you see that Joe Bonamassa is redoing the guitar parts and vocals on his New Day Yesterday recording for a 20th Anni edition release?
    That reminds me... I'd like Deep Purple to re-record, or simply re-mix, Stormbringer... without Glenn Hughes' vocals. His screeching nearly ruins what's otherwise a pretty good album.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    And justice for all. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • All of Husker Du's indie label albums suffer from poor production IMHO. Rerecording them could prove tricky without Grant Hart though.
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    I’d like Dream Theater to re-record their very first album When Dream and Day Unite. It was recorded and mixed in three weeks on a tight budget and it sounds like it, but there was some great material on there. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    Everything from the 1980s, except Zappa.

It all sounds like sports jackets with the sleeves rolled up. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    ICBM said:
    That reminds me... I'd like Deep Purple to re-record, or simply re-mix, Stormbringer... without Glenn Hughes' vocals. His screeching nearly ruins what's otherwise a pretty good album.

Be careful what you wish for.  They might re-record it with his current vocals.... and he sounds infinitely more annoying now than he did then.

(Personally I love Stormbringer, it's one of my favourite DP albums.)