Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fickle ? Why Did You Buy That Guitar Just Based Upon Its Colour ?!?!

What's Hot
Ok, I’ll admit that looks mean more than most to me....

Current GAS dictates that I need an amp and a guitar. I was talking to @tone1 and we spoke about our fickleness...

The colour is vital guitar-wise and the thought that the guitars could match in a band setting, really appeals to me.

Here’s an option to match my beloved Suhr Alt T Pro...

Why did you buy that colour guitar of yours ?

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31692
    What can I say, I'm cheap and trashy, so it has to be gold :)

http://i61.tinypic.com/23vb72f.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    edited December 2018
    I didn’t like single coloured guitars for ages. I usually prefer Sunburst or natural, but recently acquiring my Goldtop Les Paul I find it just goes beautifully with my Tweed amp... So much so I’m going to have my hideous Strat done in relic Gold to match (it needed doing anyway)...I used to think it a shame to hide the wood underneath the finish, but I find myself drawn to Goldtop PRS’s or Gibson guitars rather than admire flametops....it must be our age Waz

I also think after years of tone chasing and obsessing (see Mick’s Strat journey) I’m turning to colour schemes, as the tonal journey is a fool’s errand for me as I always sound the same whatever I play through 

https://i.imgur.com/611QaYR.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I wanted a Les Paul. Some kind of burst of course, goldtops are for old giffers. Then I saw this on ebay, coolness personified, and was an immediate convert. Burst schmurst.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    Ideally I prefer natural finishes but I'm not really that bothered. Not purple though, never purple.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1975
    edited December 2018
    Red, Redburst, or Cherry Sunburst for me  3
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Love colours rather than ‘bursts but I’m the opposite to the above in that I REALLY can’t stand having colour repetition, to the point it dictates what I buy. This is my little lot of colour right now.

https://i.imgur.com/CEmHwKV.jpg

• I’ve bought loads of black guitars in my time primarily because the wife can’t differnetiate guitar shapes but can on colour. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve bought loads of black guitars in my time primarily because the wife can’t differnetiate guitar shapes but can on colour. 
    I can't buy white guitars for a comparable reason: MrsLostSon says they don't go with our decor- my guitars are on wall hangers in the living room & white/cream guitars blend in apparently. 
    My latest purchase was a Jazzmaster. I bought the red Squier Deluxe rather than the white Mascis because the only difference I could find when playing them was the colour (& squiggle on the headstock)... saved me money too! 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I’m generally not fussed about the colour but sometimes a particular finish just suits a guitar and looks right or wrong and can be the difference between buying.  

I just caught myself being a brand snob which is probably more annoying and embarrassing- a good guitar is a good guitar.  I fancy a korina V and saw a nice looking Joe B sig model and wished it said Gibson - silly when I know these Epi models are supposed to be good. 
  • Anything in TV yellow preferably 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8032
    I hate red guitars. Only ever owned two, both lasted 5 mins...it’s an awful colour. 

I just bought a red sparkle Duesenberg Paloma. Damn love that thing. 
  • In my main band we have a colour theme so the guitars have to be black, but at home I am a sonic blue kind of guy!
  • If it's paisley, there is a good chance I'll want to buy it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I bought a FretKing Ventura earlier this year - there's a NGD thread, I think: Ivor Mairants were selling off two ex-display models half price, a red one and a blue one. I bought the red one because I already had a matching strap. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2416
    Colour certainly affects my choice. I like to see wood grain (not flame or quilt though if I can help it) so metallics and solids are out of the window for me. Also hate all these bright blues and greens you see on PRS etc.I'm so traditional....give me sunburst and blondes and I'm happy. 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2963
    I'm getting into two tone:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4970
    Maybe more pickle than fickle...

I call it avocadoglo.

• I don't think I've chosen any specific guitar for its colour, aside from I guess my Paisley Tele. But I do now try and keep a range of colours, so would likely ignore certain guitars if they look too much like my current ones. 

Actually, now I've typed that, I did spec my JM precisely to look like an old Danocaster one, but with neck binding:

Danocaster:

Mine:

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33849
    Never done it myself.

I have bought guitars in colours I don’t like because they were amazing.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited December 2018
    I've never really liked one solid colour guitars either. Sunbursts only reality 

This may sound a bit weird though as the dominent colour used in my bands colour scheme is red, I like my guitar and/or my amp to be red. Not sure what I'd do if I joined another band though lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/