Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fickle ? Why Did You Buy That Guitar Just Based Upon Its Colour ?!?!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11487
    Sassafras said:
    Ideally I prefer natural finishes but I'm not really that bothered. Not purple though, never purple.
    I had a purple guitar back in the early 90s (long before I met my wife), and I had two different women come up and tell me it was their favourite colour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3674
    Colour is the most important thing to me.

Fancy a '50's Classic Strat but not seen a used one in a good colour so ......
  • octatonic said:
    Never done it myself.

I have bought guitars in colours I don’t like because they were amazing.
    I specifically didn’t buy a J45 once because it was even more poo coloured than the normal J45 poo-burst. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2267
    Most of my guitars are in colours I don't particularly like. I've chosen some of them over ones in colours I do like. I do draw the line at green. Imho horrible colour that has no place on guitars, cars or walls. Looks great on grass or plants to be fair.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12462
    edited December 2018
    TheMarlin said:
    I hate red guitars. Only ever owned two, both lasted 5 mins...it’s an awful colour. 

I just bought a red sparkle Duesenberg Paloma. Damn love that thing. 
    IMO 335s only look good in red, nothing else does (except for metallic reds CAR etc). sunbursts suit fenders not much else. surf green looks great on strats and offsets but I'm not keen on teles in surf green.  I don't love black fenders but les pauls and gretsch's look best in black.

I spray painted an antique burst (doesn't suit anything) strat surf green, waited out for an oly white strat, bought a new 335 copy in cherry and am having a black tele repainted 3 tone SB so colour fairly important to me.

• What other reason would there to be to buy a guitar?? #strictlynosunburst!
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2267
    edited December 2018
    In a p...

I like certain guitars in certain colours. Red stain, sg. Es335 etc les Paul Jr dc yes, single cut Jr no les Paul no etc 

Orange for gretsch and nothing else.

Then there's pick guard's none of this blue with torty Shiite.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    crunchman said:
    Sassafras said:
    Ideally I prefer natural finishes but I'm not really that bothered. Not purple though, never purple.
    I had a purple guitar back in the early 90s (long before I met my wife), and I had two different women come up and tell me it was their favourite colour.
    Disease riddled slags, probably.
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    I have a guitar in a horrible satin grey.. I wanted a black version but this one felt right. I later got the black one too.. horrible guitar.. felt like a complete god, glad I went with the grey one. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12462
    Sassafras said:
    crunchman said:
    Sassafras said:
    Disease riddled slags, probably.
    Like the old woman from the shining.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    cos they didn't do a TV blue....

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I don't think I've ever bought a guitar solely or mainly because of its colour. 

Nor me. This thread is hilarious! :)
  • I own a lot of Stratocasters and don’t really need any more, but I recently bought a relatively inexpensive Classic Vibe because I couldn’t resist the Aztec Gold colour.
  • One of the reasons I bought my Squier was because it's got a reverse headstock :) 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• The first half decent guitar I had was an Ibanez Roadstar II (back in the eighties, before Steve Vai, RG's and all that). I wanted a red one, but a black one played better, so that's what I got. A couple of years later I wanted a Tele, and played every available Sunburst US Std Tele in the north of England (it was the latest Tele model from the then newly formed FMIC!). I was determined not to have another black guitar. Anyway, after a couple of months of looking I found myself in my local guitar shop buying strings, and trying a new Fender valve amp (red knob Super 60, horrible!). I didn't like the amp, but I did like the guitar that I tried through it, so a couple of hours later a deal was struck and they had my Ibanez RS530 and I had a shiny new Fender US Std Tele - in black....
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I once bought the white version of a particular guitar, under pressure from a certain wife, when I really wanted the trans red. The white guitar was great actually. Eventually sold it, as you do.. Sometime later, I happened upon a trans red one, on the bay. Bought it. Meh..!
    Never again!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• The only guitar I’ve bought because of it’s colour is my Paisley Tele. Although I was pleased that during my recent search for an EBMM Albert Lee I did manage to pick up an early Pinkburst one, because, well it’s just great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4977
    I also bought this guitar body for the colour (still haven't found a neck for it, though).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom