The Tremonti conundrum, what would you do?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
I read a story once (in a guitar mag I think?) where someone went to an Alter Bridge gig with a meet and greet ticket. They took their Tremonti SE guitar along in the hope of getting Mark T to sign it. He took the guitar, strummed it, played it a bit and decided that he had to have this lowly SE, so he offered the guy one of his genuine Tremonti PRS guitars from a rack in the room (which he took gladly). 

So, swap for a very expensive top quality guitar, or keep the lowly SE that is 'so special and unique in playability' that Mark Tremonti just has to have it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I thought that happened with a regular US tremonti that he swapped for one of his.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    If he offered me that deal, I'd have his bloody hand off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    John_P said:
    I thought that happened with a regular US tremonti that he swapped for one of his.   
    Yes it was this^^....I remember the article in a guitar mag  :)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7177
    The only  'conundrum' for me would be "WTF am I doing at a Tremonti gig?" and "How the fuck do I get out without hearing any of his music?"
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Either way,  if it’s was a player I was a big enough fan of that I’d take a guitar to get signed, I’d still be tempted to swap it for one of his.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember the story, but I don’t think it was an SE - pretty sure it was a full on Tremonti sig, and the guy offered to sell it to Mark, but Mark said he couldn’t buy it and offered him one of his own guitars instead...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Hard to imagine what could have been so good about it that he got from a quick strum at a signing.

To be honest I was pretty sceptical of this story until it was corrected to a US Tremonti, now I find it easy to believe it happened. I've always suspected it's a myth that there are rare special units where cheap guitars are better than expensive ones, despite the amount of times I've heard someone say their Squier beats a US Standard etc.
    stonevibe said:
    The only  'conundrum' for me would be "WTF am I doing at a Tremonti gig?" and "How the fuck do I get out without hearing any of his music?"
    lol are they that bad?

I wanted to have a listen due to the PRS link, the fact he's fairly rated as a player etc. but then I found out they're Christian rock so didn't bother
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24676
    edited December 2018
    thegummy said:
    stonevibe said:
    lol are they that bad?

I wanted to have a listen due to the PRS link, the fact he's fairly rated as a player etc. but then I found out they're Christian rock so didn't bother
    Creed were Christian rock and the lyrics are cringeworthy. Most of that was due to their singer Scott Stapp.

Alter Bridge and Tremonti are fairly regular rock though. In interviews Tremonti has said he does believe in a higher power, but not in the bible.

Alter Bridge’s Black Bird is a belter of an album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    stonevibe said:
    lol are they that bad?

Creed were Christian rock and the lyrics are cringeworthy. Most of that was due to their singer Scott Stapp.

Alter Bridge and Tremonti are fairly regular rock though. In interviews Tremonti has said he does believe in a higher power, but not in the bible.

I liked one or two Creed songs, though it was more Stapp’s excruciating vocal style that made me cringe, more than the lyrics.

Blackbird is a class album though, yes. I liked One Day Remains as well.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3008
    I remember reading the story as well and I thought that the sketch was that the punters Tremonti was a US one and it was in a limited release colour that Mark himself had never seen in the flesh before
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Yeah, I probably remembered it wrong!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I own a PRS that Mark Tremonti strummed and played .... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I read that the deal included the bloke's daughter as well as the SE.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He must have been very unhappy with his recent purchase to feel the need to take the matter up directly with the signature artist rather than the retailer. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10299

Hendrix?
    thegummy said:
    stonevibe said:
    lol are they that bad?

Weird that he thinks the bible is a lie except one part of it.

Kind of like knowing Harry Potter is fiction but still believing in quiditch
  • thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    stonevibe said:
    lol are they that bad?

Read between the lines, he's probably interested in Eastern spirituality and doesn't want to upset any redneck fans :)
  • DrBob is right - i remember this. The guitar the kid asked him to sign was in a finish he'd never seen before and he liked it so he offered to swap it for one of his touring guitars (a dark red one if i remember rightly).
    The guy then tried to sell the Tremonti tour guitar on Ebay for about $5000, no idea if it sold or not (I'm 90% sure this last bit happened, but my brain could have made it up to embellish the story)

This was when i was in full on PRS mode around 2009/10 so it got a lot of coverage on the old birds and moons forum (now defunct)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24676
    thegummy said:
    thegummy said:
    stonevibe said:
    lol are they that bad?

He said higher power, not christian version of a god.

He could be talking about Sedna for all I know.