Is there an album you like that nobody else seems to?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    fob said:
    Gang Gajang - Gang Gajang

Too many "G"s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    For me it's this gem of an album . Saw them live in concert on this tour in 1980 and was amazed by the musicianship and Ashley Mulford's guitar playing. Maybe a bit lightweight for some (kind of like a sax and guitar heavy 10cc) but a favourite in my house.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    For me it's this gem of an album . Saw them live in concert on this tour in 1980 and was amazed by the musicianship and Ashley Mulford's guitar playing. Maybe a bit lightweight for some (kind of like a sax and guitar heavy 10cc) but a favourite in my house.

I don't know much about Sad Cafe other than my brother is/ was a bit of a fan. He also likes Squeeze, Motown and singer-songerwritery type stuff so in my head it's somewhere between all that. My brother earned his living as a mobile DJ for a while in the mid 70s ( our garage was full of lights and record decks,etc, which was kind of cool) so that's definitely his era. I should check that out shouldn't I...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72363
    edited April 2019
    If we're including rarities that hardly anyone's even heard of...

The Explorers - Phil Manzanera and Andy Mackay's short-lived post-Roxy Music band with singer James Wraith, from 1985.

They were the first proper gig I went to, and the friend I went with bought the album. I only had a cassette copy of it for years, but managed to download it a few years ago. A couple of months back I finally managed to buy an original CD copy, and hearing it again at proper quality is fantastic - some bits of the production are almost hilariously dated ("Hey, this gadget is called a sampler! Let's see what we can do with it!"  ) but the songs are actually really good.

And I still can't hear an owl in the woods at night without singing "Falling For Nightlife" in my head ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Fourplay - Sensational Alex Harvey Band without Alex.
    Just a great rock record and wonderful guitarring from Zal Cleminson.
    Better than anything they recorded with Alex IMHO

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5380
    Not sure they're albums nobody else likes, but one certainly comes in for a lot of mockery, and the other I've only ever known one other person who owns it (who happens to be my cousin, although I only found out this year). Both eponymous, and both a good listen IMHO.

Georgia Satellites
    Energy Orchard
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 190
    wolsnah said:
    Does St. Anger count?  o

To be fair, I wasn't that keen to start with, but like mould in a nice blue cheese, it's a bit of a grower and an acquired taste, but I now do honestly really like it.
    You know an admission like that will get you stoned these days...REPENT
    Nope, I'm ahead of the curve ;) Give it a few more years and it'll start to be regarded as a classic.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    @FelineGuitars Interesting, I shall try and listen to that Sad Cafe album, I always thought that the single hit was superb

@SimonC That SAHB looks interesting as well. Must hear that also
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited April 2019 tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    @FelineGuitars Interesting, I shall try and listen to that Sad Cafe album, I always thought that the single hit was superb

Spotify link https://open.spotify.com/album/0PQAfhcIoAp2rR06gmtRMe?si=A6xPLtrnSH-m-Iq8OlXnwg

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• I don't like VHIII with Gary Cherone. I don't think there is anything by VH I like that much after For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (didn't abbreviate that, through fear of being banned. Haha!! ). Everything including and prior to that album, I love! I liked Extreme also, but for some reason am not keen on Gary Cherone's vox. 

I can't think of an unpopular album which I like. Maybe anything by Nickelback. I like Nickelback! :)
  • ewalewal Frets: 2584
    Afghan Whigs, all albums... I literally do not know anyone that like The Afghan Whigs.. I have plenty of friends with similar taste in music but none of them like them and most say what a pile of rubbish they are :(
    Thread resurrection alert - I love Afghan Whigs especially Gentlemen. I thought the emotional self-evisceration would be something everyone would tune in to. Apparently not. But it's now got a book written about it so someone out there definitely loves it.

I dug out this thread, because a couple of bands have been occupying my mind recently that I never really knew anyone else got in to, well except my wife but she doesn't really count because she was forced to listen to them so much, she had to end up liking them. It was either that or ditch me.

Versus - American league 2 indie rock in terms of popularity but superb song writers. Fontaine Toups has a perfect 'I can hold a tune but I'm not really a singer voice', perfect for the genre. Every album they've done is a stoater, new one out soon too. If I was to pick one to stay on thread topic, I'd go for Two Cents Plus Tax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG1QYqFY0k4

Seam - I always associate Seam with Versus in my head which is maybe a bit unfair. But another slightly under the radar 90's american indie rock group. They did quiet/ loud exceptionally well. Beautiful clean tones. Almost a pre-cursor for some of the post-rock groups that were to follow, but with vocals... and less reverb... Totally love the tight snare sound too. The track Sweet Pea from their album The Problem With Me was my track of '93. God I'm old....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6_mArIMiA

I should've started a thread dedicated to the greats of US indie labels like Merge and Touch and Go. I could go on for days. One of my favourite musical eras...

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    From Lubbock to Clintwood East - Terry & Gerry
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3456
    UFO The Collection PT1 and PT2. Which is basically UFO 1, and UFO Flying.
    But fuck me, how good are these albums? Mick Bolton was a genius! The raw guitar, almost out of tune, no frills, thats not easy to achieve.

Spark up, crack a beer, enjoy.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    ooh good one (my music tastes are quite broad..

mudhoney- my brother the cow (did anyone else in the world buy that? not their best work but few corkers)

machinedrum- rooms (odd glitch post dubstep housey breaks nonsense)

pearl jam - vitalogy (yeah.... :/ )

alter8 - full on mask hysteria (glow sticks at the ready lol)
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3456
    Remember Vision Thing? Most of my mates thought I was...…

Any album by Fields Of The Nephilim,

piouhgd

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    ICBM said:
    steven70 said:
    I feel the need to add 'Pop Trash' by Duran Duran as well. The last original thing they did before becoming a cabaret act. Not sure what's with the 'middle to late period Duran Duran' phase.
    I quite liked Astronaut, and to a lesser extent Red Carpet Massacre. I haven't got either of the last two because I have a severe allergy to anything Mark Ronson has ever produced... apart from the recent Miley Cyrus single :).
    RCM is awesome! And so are the subsequent albums, especially Paper Gods. I also love Arcadia, but then I like Powerstation too
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    robgilmo said:
    UFO The Collection PT1 and PT2. Which is basically UFO 1, and UFO Flying.
    But fuck me, how good are these albums? Mick Bolton was a genius! The raw guitar, almost out of tune, no frills, thats not easy to achieve.

Spark up, crack a beer, enjoy.

ooh there's my soundtrack for the day sorted thx Rob. I love me a bit of UFO.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    MLten80 said:

Now that one is surprising! I thought that album was really terrible.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72363
    viz said:

RCM is awesome! And so are the subsequent albums, especially Paper Gods. I also love Arcadia, but then I like Powerstation too
    I recently got both the Arcadia and Power Station albums again, having not listened to them for about thirty years - but despite thinking at the time that the Power Station were the more interesting and different, it's So Red The Rose that now stands up better of the two... The Power Station sounds quite dated.

Today's new entry is Lloyd Cole's 'Bad Vibes' - apparently not well-liked by critics and most fans, and even he doesn't seem to rate it, but I actually think it's one of his best.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    axisus said:
    MLten80 said:

Now that one is surprising! I thought that album was really terrible.
    I didn't know if Vitalogy was generally regarded as terrible, but to me Pearl Jam is one of those bands who got everything right on their first album then went downhill from there (with the caveat that I gave up completely after about five albums so they may be amazing now...).

I do love Stone Gossard's solo album Bayleaf.