Is there an album you like that nobody else seems to?

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:
    MLten80 said:
    pearl jam - vitalogy (yeah.... :/ )

Now that one is surprising! I thought that album was really terrible.
    I didn't know if Vitalogy was generally regarded as terrible, but to me Pearl Jam is one of those bands who got everything right on their first album then went downhill from there (with the caveat that I gave up completely after about five albums so they may be amazing now...).

I do love Stone Gossard's solo album Bayleaf.
    Ten was brilliant, 2nd album (Vs.) for me had 2 superb tracks and lots of filler. Vitalogy seemed so bad to me that I was done with the band then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4924
    Hats by The Blue Nile, at the time it came out everybody I knew hated it and I became evangelical about it's quality, no doubt boring my friends rigid. Since then I've met a lot of people with similar good taste : >
    That was obligatory for Linn owners.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4924
    I've always been a fan of Billy Squier...

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    axisus said:
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:
    MLten80 said:
    pearl jam - vitalogy (yeah.... :/ )

Now that one is surprising! I thought that album was really terrible.
    I didn't know if Vitalogy was generally regarded as terrible, but to me Pearl Jam is one of those bands who got everything right on their first album then went downhill from there (with the caveat that I gave up completely after about five albums so they may be amazing now...).

I do love Stone Gossard's solo album Bayleaf.
    Ten was brilliant, 2nd album (Vs.) for me had 2 superb tracks and lots of filler. Vitalogy seemed so bad to me that I was done with the band then

GET OUT 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I think I am the only person in the UK who bought anything put out by The Music. I like all 3 of their albums especially the first which kicks arse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospxlZZM2Hw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ7S1NqzIvA

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22865
    edited June 2019
    pmbomb said:
    I think I am the only person in the UK who bought anything put out by The Music. I like all 3 of their albums especially the first which kicks arse.

I have their first album, bought on some kind of weird impulse.  Maybe I liked the cover.  I only listened to it once and I know I didn't like it, although I have no memory at all of what they sounded like.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5375
    @robgilmo I like Vision Thing, so you're not alone.

I really like "Live in Yugoslavia" - The Anti-Nowhere League. It's not so much that I don't know anyone else who likes it, as I don't know anyone else who admits to knowing who the League are. And it's not really the kind of album you put on for "nice" friends.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    @Winny_Pooh I love that Matthew Herbert Album. Although I maybe prefer their first album, more. But it's still a cracker.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    Lewis Taylor's first album. It had a lot of critical acclaim, but seems to have dropped off the radar. It's a neo-soul classic, and he can really play, too (I believe it's largely all him, Prince style).

Although I suppose his obscurity is partly his choice. He deleted a lot of stuff, I believe. There's an interview here:

http://souljones.com/exclusive-features/2016/6/14/questions-answers-lewis-taylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUy-mWXM_wU

Or live (shonky video quality):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O67sFDooM-g

The production is fantastic, too.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Snags said:
    @robgilmo I like Vision Thing, so you're not alone.

I really like "Live in Yugoslavia" - The Anti-Nowhere League. It's not so much that I don't know anyone else who likes it, as I don't know anyone else who admits to knowing who the League are. And it's not really the kind of album you put on for "nice" friends.
    I have vague memories of them, I’ll have to go listen to Streets of London. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7787

I don't think many bought it, but I like it - The Story So Far by Mo-Dettes

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3027
    edited June 2019
    ewal said:

Seam - I always associate Seam with Versus in my head which is maybe a bit unfair. But another slightly under the radar 90's american indie rock group. They did quiet/ loud exceptionally well. Beautiful clean tones. Almost a pre-cursor for some of the post-rock groups that were to follow, but with vocals... and less reverb... Totally love the tight snare sound too. The track Sweet Pea from their album The Problem With Me was my track of '93. God I'm old....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6_mArIMiA

I should've started a thread dedicated to the greats of US indie labels like Merge and Touch and Go. I could go on for days. One of my favourite musical eras...

Got to thank you @ewal for recommending Seam, never heard of them until your post, another 90's band that passed me by at the time (Bedhead too). They are so good, you describe them well. Inspiring songwriting and dynamics. Will give Versus a listen.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    @MagicPigDetective - glad to hear you enjoyed them! It's worth speeding through the Versus back catalogue - they become more and more polished, but great songwriting throughout.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience