Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Flying V2 - an enthusiast!

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14332
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    Here's one for sale in Blue Sparkle:

http://davidjpym.com/page381.html

can't recall the last time I saw one in Blue Spakle but it does somehow look cool - but not at that price
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Er, isn't @HarrySeven on a road trip around Somerset and Wiltshire today. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72542
    guitars4you said:

can't recall the last time I saw one in Blue Spakle but it does somehow look cool - but not at that price
    Good grief... that's not far off double what I thought of as a silly high price before I checked the link!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    ICBM said:
    guitars4you said:

Good grief... that's not far off double what I thought of as a silly high price before I checked the link!
    Investment grade, innit?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14332
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    guitars4you said:

similar thoughts - at first I never clicked on the link, as the pic from @Brize was all I needed to see - But thought 'so what' let's have a look at that guitar and others in stock - some prices do daffle me
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    I guess they rely on (a) buyers not doing their research or (b) being so desperate for a particular guitar that’s not available anywhere else and having more money than sense. I am a V2 nut and wouldn’t be averse to having another one, especially in blue as it happens, but that price is simply hoping to hook a sucker, and it ain’t me! 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Er, isn't @HarrySeven on a road trip around Somerset and Wiltshire today. ;)

Well, he was...but no V's in the car...despite owning loads, not really a fan... :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

I've just read on another post here about decoders - I'd never known about being able to find out information from serial numbers before. So, it turns out the two V2s I have were built in February and October 1980. Is there any way of drilling down for more detail - for example, are there records anywhere of how many guitars of a particular type were made? How many V2s in Red Sparkle were ever produced? Any other knowledge that can be gleaned from serial numbers or any other means? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14553
    Gibson produced in batches. Sometimes, in response to dealer orders. Sometimes, in anticipation of hoped for demand that may or may not have materialised.

On the V2, the opaque finishes were an attempt to maintain interest in a poorly selling model. If the total sales for 1981 were only into the hundreds and there are six or seven of these colourful finishes, it seems reasonable to assume that there may fewer than fifty of each colour. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2331
    They are super cool.  I can imagine St Vincent playing one. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    Bill_S said:
    I've just read on another post here about decoders - I'd never known about being able to find out information from serial numbers before. So, it turns out the two V2s I have were built in February and October 1980. Is there any way of drilling down for more detail - for example, are there records anywhere of how many guitars of a particular type were made? How many V2s in Red Sparkle were ever produced? Any other knowledge that can be gleaned from serial numbers or any other means? 

Try posting in this LP Forum thread:

It was started by "Strings Jr" who is an ex-Gibson employee of around that era and kept records of every guitar he worked on.  You may be lucky and be on his list, or he may have some more V2 info.

Bill_S said:

It was started by "Strings Jr" who is an ex-Gibson employee of around that era and kept records of every guitar he worked on.  You may be lucky and be on his list, or he may have some more V2 info.

Wow, thanks, I’ll do just that! 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    Nice video, although it would have been better if he'd let us hear the clean and edge of breakup tones, which for me is what the guitar is all about. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2408
    Bill_S said:

Well that was a fun rabbit hole - some beautiful and truly hideous guitars in that thread! Hope you can find out some more about your V2.
    Tim
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    edited January 2019
    I think it's great that he's kept records and photo's of his work there.  Sadly when I asked he wasn't involved in making my '84 335.  Also, @Bill_S, I think he worked at Nashville rather than Kalamazoo so may not be able to help.
  • I hate to ask the obvious question, but why would anyone design a Guitar where the pick up routing encroaches into the fingerboard resulting in only being able to play a note on the 22nd fret on the low and high E String?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72542
    I hate to ask the obvious question, but why would anyone design a Guitar where the pick up routing encroaches into the fingerboard resulting in only being able to play a note on the 22nd fret on the low and high E String?
    To stop you from playing Hotel California of course.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I hate to ask the obvious question, but why would anyone design a Guitar where the pick up routing encroaches into the fingerboard resulting in only being able to play a note on the 22nd fret on the low and high E String?
    To stop you from playing Hotel California of course.
    They should design the V3 with the pick up encroaching around the 14th fret to stop people playing Sweet Child O' Mine. Trouble is, it'd ruin the learning of lots of other songs too.

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @springhead ;Well I did post there and this is what I got back...no luck on this occasion, but an interesting resource - thanks! 

I found out about this thread on The Fretboard UK guitar forum. I wonder if you can help me. I have a Gibson Flying V2 in Red Sparkle. The serial number is 82830006 and from this I have discovered it was built at the Kalamazoo Plant on October 9th, 1980. I have also gleaned, I think that the body is a maple-walnut-maple-walnut-maple sandwich. I have read all I can find on V2s but would be fascinated to learn more. 

I wonder if you are able to help me? Thanks very much in advance.

That's a nice looking V you have there. Still looks brand new.
    Unfortunately, I can't offer much more info than you already have. All of the V-2's at that time were built in Kalamazoo. 
    I did find one in my records that I assembled. It has a K-zoo serial number, 80262003 and likely was sent to Nashville along with the other unfinished, work-in-process instruments when K-zoo closed. I built it on February 15th, 1985.

Thanks!

RL