Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Flying V2 - an enthusiast!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    Bill_S said:
    I've just read on another post here about decoders - I'd never known about being able to find out information from serial numbers before. So, it turns out the two V2s I have were built in February and October 1980. Is there any way of drilling down for more detail - for example, are there records anywhere of how many guitars of a particular type were made? How many V2s in Red Sparkle were ever produced? Any other knowledge that can be gleaned from serial numbers or any other means? 

Try posting in this LP Forum thread:

It was started by "Strings Jr" who is an ex-Gibson employee of around that era and kept records of every guitar he worked on.  You may be lucky and be on his list, or he may have some more V2 info.

@springhead ;Well, I did post there and this is what I got back... it was worth a try  =) Interesting resource anyway, so thank you for making me aware of it. 

I found out about this thread on The Fretboard UK guitar forum. I wonder if you can help me. I have a Gibson Flying V2 in Red Sparkle. The serial number is 82830006 and from this I have discovered it was built at the Kalamazoo Plant on October 9th, 1980. I have also gleaned, I think that the body is a maple-walnut-maple-walnut-maple sandwich. I have read all I can find on V2s but would be fascinated to learn more. 

I wonder if you are able to help me? Thanks very much in advance.

That's a nice looking V you have there. Still looks brand new.
    Unfortunately, I can't offer much more info than you already have. All of the V-2's at that time were built in Kalamazoo. 
    I did find one in my records that I assembled. It has a K-zoo serial number, 80262003 and likely was sent to Nashville along with the other unfinished, work-in-process instruments when K-zoo closed. I built it on February 15th, 1985.

Thanks!

RL

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bill_S said:
    I've just read on another post here about decoders - I'd never known about being able to find out information from serial numbers before. So, it turns out the two V2s I have were built in February and October 1980. Is there any way of drilling down for more detail - for example, are there records anywhere of how many guitars of a particular type were made? How many V2s in Red Sparkle were ever produced? Any other knowledge that can be gleaned from serial numbers or any other means? 

Try posting in this LP Forum thread:

It was started by "Strings Jr" who is an ex-Gibson employee of around that era and kept records of every guitar he worked on.  You may be lucky and be on his list, or he may have some more V2 info.

@springhead ;Well, I did post there and this is what I got back... it was worth a try  =) Interesting resource anyway, so thank you for making me aware of it. 

I found out about this thread on The Fretboard UK guitar forum. I wonder if you can help me. I have a Gibson Flying V2 in Red Sparkle. The serial number is 82830006 and from this I have discovered it was built at the Kalamazoo Plant on October 9th, 1980. I have also gleaned, I think that the body is a maple-walnut-maple-walnut-maple sandwich. I have read all I can find on V2s but would be fascinated to learn more. 

I wonder if you are able to help me? Thanks very much in advance.

That's a nice looking V you have there. Still looks brand new.
    Unfortunately, I can't offer much more info than you already have. All of the V-2's at that time were built in Kalamazoo. 
    I did find one in my records that I assembled. It has a K-zoo serial number, 80262003 and likely was sent to Nashville along with the other unfinished, work-in-process instruments when K-zoo closed. I built it on February 15th, 1985.

Thanks!

RL

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    Shame he couldn't help.  Fascinating some of the guitars he worked on, and quite a treat for people who have asked and he built theirs.  Mine of that era is a Nashville 335 but sadly not one of his.
  • Jfs2Jfs2 Frets: 2
    Hello there.  I have just acquired one of the first year Gibson v2's.  Its pearl white and with the chunky neck I love the way it plays.  Some like them some dont.  Ive been trying to research my new acquaintance and I ran across this post of Dave's hoping for more detailed information. So far no luck.  Has anybody had any discoveries into specific details of this model of V?  From my understanding 157 were shipped in 1979 starting around June and were not in the Gibson catalogs until 1980.  Why this has become a near obsession is that the serial number on the head stock is 70029001 Made in USA.  Granted the fact that unless the Gibson Kalmazoo factory worked new years day this could be the first V2 produced. (Jan 2nd, 79 production number 1).  Does anyone have any earlier S/n numbers for this model or any additional info?  I know they are very rare but any help would be greatly appreciated.  Stay safe, stay healthy  Thanks! James
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/jRyJtgFmHxpN61Jn9
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hello there.  I have just acquired one of the first year Gibson v2's.  Its pearl white and with the chunky neck I love the way it plays.  Some like them some dont.  Ive been trying to research my new acquaintance and I ran across this post of Dave's hoping for more detailed information. So far no luck.  Has anybody had any discoveries into specific details of this model of V?  From my understanding 157 were shipped in 1979 starting around June and were not in the Gibson catalogs until 1980.  Why this has become a near obsession is that the serial number on the head stock is 70029001 Made in USA.  Granted the fact that unless the Gibson Kalmazoo factory worked new years day this could be the first V2 produced. (Jan 2nd, 79 production number 1).  Does anyone have any earlier S/n numbers for this model or any additional info?  I know they are very rare but any help would be greatly appreciated.  Stay safe, stay healthy  Thanks! James
    Sorry for the multiple entries. This time I’ll blame it on my iPad rendering. Ha. 
    Thanks James
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23033
    I don't have any info for you, but that's a fine looking guitar.  Looks to be in great condition too.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I missed this thread first time around but colour me envious - I love my Flying Vs, never had a V2 but maybe one day.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    That does seem like a ‘special’ serial number that might not correspond to the actual date of manufacture - otherwise, what are the odds that the very first guitar they stamped in 1979 would be an extremely rare model that wasn’t even in production yet at that point? Negligible, I think.

It looks far better in white than the usual “1970s skateboard” natural finish too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Speaking as someone who loves the skateboard V2, I actually agree with ICBM, the white looks better.
    Hi @Jfs2 , OP here. I love the look of your new white V2! Super cool, and I’m sure it aches to be played. It’s frustrating trying to get detailed information on these beauties. Still want to know how many of my red sparkle versions were built, but I don’t think I’ll ever find out.