H7 Road Trip

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
So, today I find myself in Bath, via Melksham (Alan George Guitars) and Corsham (Gardiner Houlgate) -
more on these later. ;)

Just grabbing a coffee, then a visit to Guitarbitz and V&R.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8830
    Just look out for someone parking up an articulated truck in the Bath area.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6128
    JerkMoans said:
    I picture a trailer of old WEM amps being towed by a Rover 90. Good hunting H7.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    JerkMoans said:
    Well, I’ve only picked up 3 guitars so far today!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2335
    Ooh I love a guitar road trip! A couple of years ago I took a day off and drove from Swindon to Ashbourne to try out some lovely axes at @guitars4you. I ended up keeping the guitar I had intended to trade, but despite (or because of?) this it was a worthwhile exercise, and I had a thoroughly enjoyable time chatting with Mark. Looking forward to hearing how you got on @HarrySeven.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    Guitarbitz - all new stuff...nowt for me.

V&R - jaw-dropping loveliness, but nothing specifically on my radar at the moment.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    JerkMoans said:
    What's slowing you up, it's nearly 11 O'clock already.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    JerkMoans said:
    What's slowing you up, it's nearly 11 O'clock already.
    I know! Slacking or what?!?! :open_mouth: 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14638
    V&R 
    Does a Synthaxxe now count as "vintage"? Given its reputation for overheating and spontaneous combustion, the thing is more likely to be well done than rare.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14544
    tFB Trader
    looking forward to more info H - See you at Brum Show I assume late Feb
    looking forward to more info H - See you at Brum Show I assume late Feb
    Actually, Mark...I'll be (permanently) giving it a miss from now on (unless someone convinces me otherwise) - it's just not my cup of tea - not enough weird old tat! :(

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 300
    I feel like this premisecould make an entertaining tv series
    edited January 2019

Bath itself was just a bit of a potter round and (other than V&R's drool-inducing stuff), not much to say, really.

So...on with the reason for the quick nip down to that neck of the woods...

Firstly, this:

Jolana Superstar, won in December's GH auction.

Their description was as follows:

1978 Jolana Superstar electric guitar, ser. no. 2xx9; Finish: natural, impact blemishes and other various imperfections; Fretboard: rosewood; Frets: generally good, but in need of cleaning; Electrics: working; Hardware: some pitting, but generally good; Case: soft bag; Overall condition: good.

I'd say that was reasonably accurate.

As you can see above, the frets are rough and the board was very dry/dirty.

I gave it a bit of a clean, soaked the board in lemon oil and restrung it this afternoon - I'll finish off the setup tomorrow, but it needs a fret dress, really.

It also needs a wee bit of attention to the wiring (2 minute job).

You'll note from the pic below that the pickup construction is...errr...interesting!

As per usual re. Jolana, DeFil, Klira, Musima, etc, etc...construction is somewhat "industrial". The neck is like a baseball bat, but a much lower action has improved things immensely.

So...a fret dress is definitely in the offing, along with a few other jobs. Great-looking guitar though!

As for my other port of call...I've often wondered re. the quality of stuff from Alan George (primarily sells Rebon/Aiersi, etc stuff on Facebook) and as I was in the area, I dropped him a line and asked if I could call in.

Really nice guy. I tried a few guitars (including some LPs) and ended up coming away with these two boxes below...and no...they weren't empty!

Two Jazzmaster-ish jobs with bound/block fingerboards - one in metallic pink and another in gold. Nice weight, played great, sounded good and, at £75 each, what's not to like as a modding platform?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    pmg said:

Hmmmm....now that could be interesting! ;)

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2335

Interesting to see (1) PCB control mounting, (2) TESLA pots - would that be the same crew now known as manufacturers of JJ valves?

What does the second toggle switch do - phase switch, coil tap?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8830
    pmg said:
    A sort of ‘Lovejoy’ spin off
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 300
    JerkMoans said:
    pmg said:
    A sort of ‘Lovejoy’ spin off
    Yes!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14638
    Keefy said:
    Interesting to see PCB control mounting
    See also, Rickenbacker 220.

HarrySeven said:
    the pickup construction is...errr...interesting!

Now, that pickup cover is truly deserving of the description "ash tray". :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Having just twiddled with the Jolana a bit more, it’s clear that the nut has been replaced at some point - and it’s too high (so the zero fret has no function).

• MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    are your open notes wrong if the strings aren't touching the zero fret? ( = making the first fret longer than it should be) 

interesting find tho
    MLten80 said:
    are your open notes wrong if the strings aren't touching the zero fret? ( = making the first fret longer than it should be) 

interesting find tho

Yes - spot on.