So what are your planned projects for the year?

What's Hot

1) I need to kick myself up the arse and get going with my headless guitar again
2) About time I made a bass so that will probably be no 2
3) I want to do a Variax transplant, I bought one about 5 years ago for the job. It will be a very rustic looking Tele.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NyjNyj Frets: 4
    Well, I've learned a valuable lesson - I tried to repair a ding in a variax acoustic, didn't work out as well as I'd like, so I thought I'd better strip all the varnish off back to the wood.   Tried Nitromors - the varnish just laughed at me.   Tried a heat gun, didn't work at all.    So I tried sanding it and after a while I learned that the wood is just a veneer on some kind of synthetic block.   So now I've got a full-on bodge to repair and I'm not sure how to do it.  
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I have the cabinet, chassis, and transformers from a Carvin Vintage 33 combo up in my loft. My plan is to turn it into a low-power amp along the lines of a Supro, preferably with reverb (I have the working spring tank too, plus a couple of other spares).

The OT would suit 4x EL84 valves into 4/8/16 ohms, but I think it would also work with 2x EL84 if I use the 'wrong' secondaries - I really need to get some advice on this before proceeding.

The cabinet will need to be completely re-covered - not looking forward to that part!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    More fuzz pedals!  Been assembling Fuzz Dog kits (6 so far!) but want to get into drilling my own enclosures and sourcing my own components this year
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27028
    I have a 5e3 kit coming soon. I also have a couple of fuzzdog kits that've sat unbuilt for literally years.  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Finish my Tele refinish, the one one I started for the 2018 Q1 build challenge.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    My project is nowt to do with guitars but will extend my workshop so I will have some space to indulge my hobbies, mostly brewing and guitars/amps.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

One guitar build, got the wood and most hardware but not quite sure what shape it'll be.
    Some repairs and refins to do.
    One pedal build underway.

Mostly will be working on the Land Rover though at least for a few months so prob going to be delayed from my own builds unfortunately.

@hywelg now that's a project! Hats off.. and good luck with it.

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3215
    edited January 2019
    To actually finish some projects would be a great start for me! The arrival of my daughter 13 months ago hampered a lot of the bits and pieces I was meddling with. A bass build came and went, various pedal builds have fallen by the way and the music...don’t start me on the music.

So, goal one of the year is record more (my old drummer and I are working on a low-fi Americana album we’d like to finish). Goal two, keep messing with fuzz pedals at some point as I’m never happy with them and maybe just maybe keep a mind to another partscaster.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8711
    Replace 4 windows and 2 external doors.
    Replace bathroom.
    Repaint walls and ceilings in 7 rooms.
    Replace garage roof.
    Repair house roof.
    Reorganise workshop, and build a better workbench.
    Rewire cellar.

In between all of this I want to:
    1. Build another headless guitar. This time with Tele pickups and wiring, and hex synth pickup.
    2. Integrate a guitar synth into my live rig.
    3. Build a second guitar. No idea what.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Roland said:
    Replace 4 windows and 2 external doors.
    Replace bathroom.
    Repaint walls and ceilings in 7 rooms.
    Replace garage roof.
    Repair house roof.
    Reorganise workshop, and build a better workbench.
    Rewire cellar.

In between all of this I want to:
    1. Build another headless guitar. This time with Tele pickups and wiring, and hex synth pickup.
    2. Integrate a guitar synth into my live rig.
    3. Build a second guitar. No idea what.
    Huh, not very ambitious!
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited January 2019
    .finish purple heart/iroko superstrat - if 2k actually hardens I might build it next weekend 
     .think of something else to use last piece of purple heart - maybe a paul to go with the purple sg I made her indoors 
     .get round to making a strat from scratch with new templates 
     .think of something to make with last 2 pieces of zebrano.. I have 2 guitars worth of decent quality parts to use 
     .she wants a V now, so I'm planning a shipwreck looking one like Hetfields esp explorer 
     .possibly attempt making new fretboard for poor old burns ... or just get some advice from a professional.. probably be disowned if I ruined grandads guitar 

I had cut it down to 2 homemade guitars but I'm sure it'll be 3-4 again within a few months 

damn you that awesome feeling of completing & playing a homebrew guitar
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I spotted a Fender clock in the background of one of the photos in Geddy Lee’s book
    https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--Rz6sbCJ---/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1437402472/lkl7hruad3kmtbg8myv5.jpg
    Since they’re a bit pricey and rare, I figured I’d build my own with the cheapest tweed amp/cab I could find:
    https://d1aeri3ty3izns.cloudfront.net/media/11/112284/1200/preview_1.jpg
    and a cheap clock mechanism from amazon. Will see if I decide to keep the amp inside, or just gut it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited January 2019
    Duplicate post deleted
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    First thing for me would be to find out what I did wrong on the pedal I built that caused it to melt on first test. Lol
  • Sham61Sham61 Frets: 26
    Replace the garage roof as it leaks every winter. Usually onto my bench which currently has a few buckets on it. 
    Then I want to finish my Tele thinline.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I have a telecaster to finish as well as a pedal board. I’m not planning too much guitar wise, I need to see how much time and money is available this year first. 

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    I am on the lookout for singing lessons.  At my age I ought to have sense but what the heck?  My experiences singing over the Christmas period [thread about this somewhere on this site] has inspired/embarrassed me into trying to get it as good as I can.  Even at this late stage. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    mart said:
    I spotted a Fender clock in the background of one of the photos in Geddy Lee’s book
    https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--Rz6sbCJ---/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1437402472/lkl7hruad3kmtbg8myv5.jpg
    Since they’re a bit pricey and rare, I figured I’d build my own with the cheapest tweed amp/cab I could find:
    https://d1aeri3ty3izns.cloudfront.net/media/11/112284/1200/preview_1.jpg
    and a cheap clock mechanism from amazon. Will see if I decide to keep the amp inside, or just gut it.
    I love this idea and am going to shamelessly copy you!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26608
    edited January 2019
    Hmm...let's think...

- Rewrite the forum software
    - Release the bad's album and tour it (HahAHahHAHHAhahahAHAhAa)
    - Get the forum YouTube channel off the ground
    - Put the Luminlay dots I bought at the beginning of the year into my self-build Nuno-alike.
    - Put together a cheap-ish low-power bench drill to put the Luminlay dots in
    - Re-think my Arduino-controlled pedal-based multi-effects idea
    - Build it
    - Lay a patio in the back garden
    - Replace the fences around the front garden
    - Replace the rear arches on my Puma (think this one will end up being somebody else paid to do it...I can learn things quick, but I think welding might be a step too far)

Think that's it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    I think finishing of the two build challenges I started on here last year would be a good start before considering anything else.