Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is Jeff Beck the most innovative guitarist ever?

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited January 2019

Gassage said:
    I would be hard pressed to name a more innovative player than the great Mr Adrian Belew.
    I'm glad I searched through this thread as this is who I had in mind, although I think 'Where were you' is probably one of the most beautiful and innovative guitar pieces every written and played (album version) but live, I find JB a bit hit and miss.

As an aside, 50 or so years ago, Jeff Beck would've been my neighbour
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    I'm not so sure he's that innovative; he's done pretty much the same thing for years.

I do like his stuff, but listen to Loud Hailer (a great album!) and he's really just grafted his sound onto another band.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited January 2019
    I believe that John Williams is the most innovative guitarist of recent years. Check out his "Sky" period, it really is rather innovative and really "rocks" (Herbie Flowers plays Bass).
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Philtre said:
    I believe that John Williams is the most innovative guitarist of recent years. Check out his "Sky" period, it really is rather innovative and really "rocks" (Herbie Flowers plays Bass).
    It's classical music basically. Hardly innovative. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Philtre said:
    Come on, man! John Williams! Herbie Flowers! Toccata! ;)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Philtre said:
    Philtre said:
    Come on, man! John Williams! Herbie Flowers! Toccata! ;)
    :) be careful mentioning electric guitars and classical, next thing the swedish meatloaf will get a mention in this thread 
  • I'm not sure about most innovative guitarist, but although I love the flashy country players like Brad Paisley, Brent mason etc its only recently I heard this song by Sturgill Simpson. Just when you think you have heard it all on slide you hear this guy and his control. If you don't like song skip to 1:35 for solo. The control is stunning. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hendrix all the way.

My experience is that most non guitarists find Becks modern playing quite annoying to listen to.
    I don't see that as a reason for guitarists not to like his work.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    This has just turned into a thread of who likes who really, hasn’t it?
    Not a criticism, just an observation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    AlexC said:
    This has just turned into a thread of who likes who really, hasn’t it?
    Not a criticism, just an observation.
    It has, hasn’t it? I’m just waiting for someone to mention Johnny Ramone and Steve Jones as innovative.  ;)
    axisus said:
    Fretwired said:

True. Had Hendrix not died would we still b talking about him as much? I'm a fan and have copies of his main studio albums. However, guitar playing has moved on and I'm not sure I'd call him the best 

Hendrix isn't 'the best', he's the one who moved electric guitar forward into a whole new dimension, and that is why he is still revered (by those who understand his role in guitar history). 
    IMHO, there are two guitarists who did that: Hendrix and Van Halen.
    I would say that Jimmy Page is the most innovative & important musician in rock music.

Versatile, great sounds, stadium rock, subtle, acoustic work, different tunings, doubleneck, Tele, Les Paul, inspired bands like Deep Purple, Rush, Heart, etc., great solos.

Like Lemmy said, Led Zeppelin defined the vocabulary of rock music.

The whole Led Zep catalogue is still available in every music shop today, 50 years on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    When the new forum software comes in, I hope it does polls...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    prowla said:
    I would say that Jimmy Page is the most innovative & important musician in rock music.

Versatile, great sounds, stadium rock, subtle, acoustic work, different tunings, doubleneck, Tele, Les Paul, inspired bands like Deep Purple, Rush, Heart, etc., great solos.

Like Lemmy said, Led Zeppelin defined the vocabulary of rock music.

The whole Led Zep catalogue is still available in every music shop today, 50 years on.
    Nothing to argue with there, Page's acoustic playing is fantastic and gives me an excuse to post this track again!

What is the effect used on this track? It sounds like some kind of phaser or is it chorus?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I think its hard to name one King of the Hill with these types of threads as so many have brought new ideas but Beck has made a very big contribution and is still by most considered the guitarist's guitarist if not for the simple fact he can underplay as well as sparkle and shine.

For me with Beck, the little tricks and stuff is like icing but it's his timing note choice the subtle almost sublime microtonal bends and nuances. Holdsworth could be technically and musically Jaw dropping but unless my head is craving something clinically technical then Beck wins for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched a Jeff Beck doc over Xmas. When he started his fusion/instrumental journey he sounded like he was ripping off John McLaughlin, surprised he's not been mentioned.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    I watched a Jeff Beck doc over Xmas. When he started his fusion/instrumental journey he sounded like he was ripping off John McLaughlin, surprised he's not been mentioned.
    Really? I don't think he's ever sounded like John McLaughlin?
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    edited January 2019
    The bulk of the guitarists in this thread are simply culturally significant millionaires. They likely achieved this status by merely, and profusely, playing the right licks at the right time whilst utilising the right technology to do so in combination with excellent collaborative skills, clever personal branding and a stunning feel to predict precisely what their audience wanted. That did not necessarily mean they broke new ground. To proclaim this is a simple misinterpretation of concept of innovation. The true master of innovative guitar playing won't feature on any platinum selling albums, he will likely lack many of the aforementioned attributes and he certainly won't give a flying fuck about your ears. Gentleman I give you Henry Kaiser. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Let’s settle this once and for all -
    If you personally like a guitarist’s playing then they’re really great and important and influenced everyone ever.
    If you don’t like a particular guitarist’s playing then they’re either -
    Ripping someone else off.
    Just happened to have a good promoter.
    Had a great pair of trousers.
    Can’t play that well anyway.
    (Stating that you don’t like them but saying that they can actually play is optional and to be applauded for being jolly reasonable.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    edited January 2019
    Lodious said:
    I watched a Jeff Beck doc over Xmas. When he started his fusion/instrumental journey he sounded like he was ripping off John McLaughlin, surprised he's not been mentioned.
    Really? I don't think he's ever sounded like John McLaughlin?
    The clip they showed to demonstrate the style he was evolving to sounded to me like he was doing his version of what the Mahavishnu Orchestra were already doing. Granted this is based solely on what they showed in the doc.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/