Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is Jeff Beck the most innovative guitarist ever?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• I admire the way that Beck is playing an electric guitar these days without using a pick (usually), and the way he uses the whammy bar and volume control to add "musicality" to his playing. At times, his playing really does sound like a human voice. 

Surely that is innovative? Unlike his composition, or his soloing over other people compositions, which can only ever be a matter of personal taste... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    matt1973 said:
    The bulk of the guitarists in this thread are simply culturally significant millionaires. They likely achieved this status by merely, and profusely, playing the right licks at the right time whilst utilising the right technology to do so in combination with excellent collaborative skills, clever personal branding and a stunning feel to predict precisely what their audience wanted. That did not necessarily mean they broke new ground. To proclaim this is a simple misinterpretation of concept of innovation. The true master of innovative guitar playing won't feature on any platinum selling albums, he will likely lack many of the aforementioned attributes and he certainly won't give a flying fuck about your ears. Gentleman I give you Henry Kaiser. 

I don't think it's as simple as that. If I walk out my house today in a pink floral 2-pice swimsuit, I'm not a fashion innovator, I'm a madman. Without context and without the ability to influence change, inspire, leave a legacy, shake things up, one-person innovation is largely irrelevant.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Still not heard anything to change my opinion that Charlie Christian, Django and Les Paul were the most Innovative.

Sure the others listed are great guitarists, but standing on the shoulders of Giants and all that !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Still not heard anything to change my opinion that Charlie Christian, Django and Les Paul were the most Innovative.

Sure the others listed are great guitarists, but standing on the shoulders of Giants and all that !
    Problem with innovation in music is it very soon is forgotten by the players who come after and perpetuate it until it becomes the norm. 

So Jeff Beck has kept up with modern musical trends whilst retaining his signature sound. Other players such as the ones mentioned have come up with a new angle which is now mainstream, I honestly can’t think of a player or artist which has started their career in one musical genre and created the wow factor then came up with something completely innovative and new in another, except may be Rob Davies from Mud who was a glam rock guitarist then did all that club stuff with Coco Star and Spiller etc
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    matt1973 said:
    The bulk of the guitarists in this thread are simply culturally significant millionaires. They likely achieved this status by merely, and profusely, playing the right licks at the right time whilst utilising the right technology to do so in combination with excellent collaborative skills, clever personal branding and a stunning feel to predict precisely what their audience wanted. That did not necessarily mean they broke new ground. To proclaim this is a simple misinterpretation of concept of innovation. The true master of innovative guitar playing won't feature on any platinum selling albums, he will likely lack many of the aforementioned attributes and he certainly won't give a flying fuck about your ears. Gentleman I give you Henry Kaiser. 

Piss offffff :)
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    matt1973 said:

Piss offffff :)
    Hehe - I was wondering if that would be taken seriously.

Beck is king for me.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Lodious said:
    I watched a Jeff Beck doc over Xmas. When he started his fusion/instrumental journey he sounded like he was ripping off John McLaughlin, surprised he's not been mentioned.
    Really? I don't think he's ever sounded like John McLaughlin?
    The clip they showed to demonstrate the style he was evolving to sounded to me like he was doing his version of what the Mahavishnu Orchestra were already doing. Granted this is based solely on what they showed in the doc.
    That could just be because Beck had Jan Hammer playing keys with him. Personally I don’t think Beck and McLaughlin have any similarities in style, apart from the fact they both played jazz fusion. 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Innovative? Yes, undoubtedly. 

Had he written anything interesting since Hi Ho Silver Lining? The jury's out...
    Um, yeah - except he didn't actually write that one.  He wasn't the first to record it either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi_Ho_Silver_Lining
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27084
    Trude said:
    Innovative? Yes, undoubtedly. 

Had he written anything interesting since Hi Ho Silver Lining? The jury's out...
    Um, yeah - except he didn't actually write that one.  He wasn't the first to record it either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi_Ho_Silver_Lining
    I rest my case ;) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires