Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Make your bands cover of Sweet Home Alabama more authentic...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2386
    Jason is on a roll...his wife Amanda Shires bought him a '53 Goldtop with Bigsby for Christmas.....! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    Strat54 said:
    Jason is on a roll...his wife Amanda Shires bought him a '53 Goldtop with Bigsby for Christmas.....! 
    I shall be pointing that out to my wife for next Christmas. Needs to up her present ideas. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    I love Carter vintage. Best shop in Nashville by miles. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    So it turns out my favourite ever Strat sound was a stock off the shelf 73 Strat, wow, I'd no idea, that's great :)

Weren't Skynrd famous for playing Peavey solid state amps as well? Please let it be true :)
  • https://www.scribd.com/doc/23991125/Lynyrd-Skynyrd-Ed-King-Equipment-History

An interesting look at Ed's gear over the years, Looks like he wasn't that keen on the Strat (page 4)
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    ICBM said:
    miserneil said:

Am I being dense? I don’t get the gag here??
    The gag is that there's a perpetual dispute about what key Sweet Home Alabama is in - some say G, some say D.

For some it's in G major because it's a V-IV-I chord progression with G as the I - but the melody line is a D major scale, so some people think it's that, and want it to end on the D... which can make stopping the song quite hard if one or more members of the band want it to go round again ;).

I think the answer is that it's in G with the melody in a different mode (I forget what it's called), but I don't know enough about music theory to know if that's correct - for me it's in G because it seems to want to end on that, as Skynyrd did, and because Ed King said it was in G... and he wrote it!
    I'm the fugging singer and they stop when I bring my hand down in an authentic  flourish ...sometimes.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    clarkefan said:

Weren't Skynrd famous for playing Peavey solid state amps as well? Please let it be true :)
    Solid-state preamp but valve power amp - the Mace, which is the largest (180W head!) model of the original Classic series.

At least on stage - in the studio they used other amps, I think I read somewhere that SHA was recorded on a Fender Twin.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • But how can it sound so good when we all know 70s Strats are rubbish? 
    But how can it sound so good when we all know 70s Strats are rubbish? 
    It's as if what matters is the player (don't tell anyone of the whole industry will fall apart!!) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Because it's all in the hands?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Because it's all in the hands?

That's a large part of it.

Early 70s isn't as bad as late 70s though.  There is a difference between a 73 and a 79.  Still don't like the big headstock though (unless it's upside down).

MOAR!

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I hope Neil Young buys it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom