Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the ultimate bedroom guitar?

What's Hot
4 years ago, on my 60th birthday, I bought Fender Stratocaster and a Yamaha THR10. I then started off on the Justinguitar beginners course. I’m loving learning to play even though I seem to be a talent free zone !
There’s lots of talk on here about various bedroom/practice amps but nothing about bedroom guitars. So I’d like some opinions...the strat +THR10 gives me a selection of tones at talking volume, but then I decided I wanted an acoustic. I bought a Taylor GSMini. It’s ok but frankly, when strummed, is too loud, which got me to thinking. Can I find a guitar that will give quiet acoustic sounds and then switch to electric? May be a Taylor T5z or Godin A6. What say you?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    edited January 2019
    Anything with a piezo pickup will do what you want.

They allow electrics to sound broadly like an Acoustic. Give them a google and see if anything catches your eye
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited January 2019
    Going by your user name, I'd be tempted to suggest a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin, or Kingpin 2. I don't know what sort of budget you have in mind, but you can pick a used one up for about £350-£400. They do an acoustic only version, but the Kingpin has a single P90 (the Kingpin 2 is a twin P90), which will give you some nice vintage blues/old jazzy tones. 

It's quite a quiet acoustic guitar, but has that nice P90 tone for whenever you want to plug in. 
    Call me Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    A BC Rich whatever the model is that looks like a cross between a cartoon spider and a fantasy battleaxe.

Because your bedroom is the only place where you can play it without the embarrassment potential of someone seeing you...

:)

More seriously, a solidbody with a piezo pickup system as Elwood said. Not a Taylor T5 - they're quite semi-acoustic and aren't that quiet even played unamplified. I think the A6 might be better, it's more solid.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3324
    If you can find one I highly recommend the ovation vxt. 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I would say the general concensus here is a gibson r8 :D
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    R8 les paul surly 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    DB1 said:
    Going by your user name, I'd be tempted to suggest a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin, or Kingpin 2. I don't know what sort of budget you have in mind, but you can pick a used one up for about £350-£400. They do an acoustic only version, but the Kingpin has a single P90 (the Kingpin 2 is a twin P90), which will give you some nice vintage blues/old jazzy tones. 

It's quite a quiet acoustic guitar, but has that nice P90 tone for whenever you want to plug in. 
    A great guitar. Much loved by Gretsch enthusiasts, particularly those who play jazzy stuff. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I've had one for a couple of years or so now. I keep putting it up for sale, then relenting because it's such a nice piece of kit for not too much money. The only reason that I keep thinking of selling it is because I have a 1955 ES-125, but to be honest, the Godin is nearly all the way there.
    Call me Dave.
  • Variax 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Fit a FishMan acoustic bridge to your strat
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 246
    or just save your money and use your fingers to play the acoustic softly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It might be worth considering an electric which is typically a little louder unplugged. An ES-335 or something along those lines. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Bedroom guitar! What you gonna do to it? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I would say the general concensus here is a gibson r8 :D
    But they're sooooooo last year ;) This year it's all about the R9
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    Id say it’s the one that inspires you :)

Here’s my two, after many many years of research, trial and error and cost !

- Fender ‘63 Jason Smith Masterbuilt 
    - Suhr Alt T Pro (Thornbuckers)

The Suhr is one of the best ‘all-round’ Ive played.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited January 2019
    I think a big bodied semi acoustic is the best, as you can play it and still get a sound unplugged
    ES-175 or White Falcon would be my first choices 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    Do you guys actually play in bedrooms? How do you get that one past the missus without waking up the kids?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.