Hummmm........

What's Hot
Just picked up an '03 mim Tele' on Reverb and it buzzes unless  ground it by touching something metal. 

Any tips before I pull it apart and break out the heat shrink and copper tape?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited January 2019
    Think you will have to go in and have a look - it could be as simple as the ground wire to the bridge not making contact, or a dry solder joint at the jack socket connections......
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14450
    Just picked up an '03 mim Tele' on Reverb
    The guitar may have been "repaired" or "upgraded" by somebody who did not really know how to do that properly.

Equally, it may have been hurriedly returned to original spec immediately prior to sale.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72408
    Is it the month for this or something?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    ICBM said:
    Is it the month for this or something?
    Dry-joint January maybe?

Uh...IGMC....again... :#
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited January 2019
    Hooked the control plate off last night and the joints all looked okay, and everything was where it should be. I was thinking about fitting one of the Home of Tone signature harnesses at some point so I may well just do it sooner rater than later.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Hooked the control plate off last night and the joints all looked okay, and everything was where it should be. I was thinking about fitting one of the Home of Tone signature harnesses at some point so I may well just do it sooner rater than later.
    While you are doing that it's worth completely shielding the control cavity too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66 said:
    While you are doing that it's worth completely shielding the control cavity too.
    Will do, I think I've got some copper tape somewhere if the wife hasn't used it all on her slug defences! =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom