Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

BBC 4 Guitar, Drums and Bass

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    It obviously misses a lot out, but I see it more as one player's personal journey than an accurate history. 

Tbh, if it was a linear history of the bass guitar in one hour I doubt I would've learned anything I didn't know, whereas the personal slant of one particular player I know very little about was far more interesting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Any programme about Bass that doesn't mention Ron Carter is aimed at a different level, and I judge it as such. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The drums one was great, the bass one was shit. Hopefully guitar will be better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:
    No Jaco on the Bass episode?
    No fucking Leo Fender on the bass episode.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3074
    edited January 2019
    The guitar episode will cop some flack on here no doubt. I've enjoyed the first two so I'm hopeful
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    The guitar episode will cop some flack on here no doubt.
    And then some!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    In the programme they mentioned the story of Paul McCartney using a bass speaker as a mic to record the sound from his bass amp. I remember hearing that story before, in Ian McDonald’s book if I recall correctly.

But here it was presented as a way of getting a big bass sound, beefier than ever before. Is there any truth in that? I’d always assumed it was just the Beatles being bored so trying something different just for the sake of it. Is this more myth-making, or is there any reason to think this approach would capture the sound better?
  • mart said:
    In the programme they mentioned the story of Paul McCartney using a bass speaker as a mic to record the sound from his bass amp. I remember hearing that story before, in Ian McDonald’s book if I recall correctly.

But here it was presented as a way of getting a big bass sound, beefier than ever before. Is there any truth in that? I’d always assumed it was just the Beatles being bored so trying something different just for the sake of it. Is this more myth-making, or is there any reason to think this approach would capture the sound better?
    I don't know about this but I do remember reading there was some technical reason why the bass on American record labels like Atlantic in this period (pre and early Beatles) sounded bigger than the bass on British records. So it was very much part of the mindset of British artists, producers etc that they had to find ways of making the bass sound bigger.  It wasn't just The Beatles.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Oh yeah, I don’t doubt that the desire was there to get a bigger bass sound. I’m just dubious about whether the speaker-as-mic approach would achieve that, or even whether anybody ever thought it would.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9676
    PhilW1 said:
    ...really impressed with the amount of people just jamming on the street//beach or in the park.
    can’t ever see it happening in Brum tho’!

To be fair, the weather in Louisiana and California is probably a bit more conducive to playing outdoors than it is in the West Midlands
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Enjoyed both so far. Thought the level of detail was just about right.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1945
    The guitar episode will cop some flack on here no doubt. I've enjoyed the first two so I'm hopeful
    Maybe they should have got The Fretboard membership on the advisory team? We could have had Guthrie Govan interviewing Greg Howe about what thickness plectrum he uses and then bitch about why there wasn't more than 20 minutes devoted to Frank Gambale's forth album :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lodious said:
    Maybe they should have got The Fretboard membership on the advisory team? We could have had Guthrie Govan interviewing Greg Howe about what thickness plectrum he uses and then bitch about why there wasn't more than 20 minutes devoted to Frank Gambale's forth album :-)

Or they could screen exactly that and have just as many complaints that they spent so long on those "soulless" meedlers.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I enjoyed both programmes, but felt there was a bit too much chat in the Bass one. The Drum one covered a lot of ground well, and, as others have mentioned, Sheena E just stood out even from what was really just a short blast on her drum kit.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    I did not see the Drums episode but the Bass program was pretty good as those programs go.  It tried, and succeeded fairly well, to give non musicians an insight into what a bass brings to music. And how music evolved because of adding bass instruments to the mix.  The showing and explanations  of the playing on a few well known songs was well thought out. And beneficial to non musicians who listen to and enjoy music.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I enjoyed it too.  Stand-out moment was Herbie Flowers demonstrating how he developed the bass line for Walk on the Wild Side, so simple, but hugely effective.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Sheena E
    On reflection, I think that I would rather hear Sheila E sing than hear Sheena Easton play drums.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3074
    Ep3 was on last night. I'll stick my neck out and say I enjoyed it. A bit too much on slide guitar imo but good on the whole. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    I enjoyed it but I do like slide.
    Surprisingly OH enjoyed it too. Most unlike her!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11303
    I thought last night's episode was really good, very entertaining.

There is so much guitar stuff they had to pick from that any programme would be found wanting by someone or other. This one may picked some bits, and picked them well.