Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

BBC 4 Guitar, Drums and Bass

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited January 2019
    Last night's was good as history of pedals. I was surprised they didn't end on him waving around a multi FX saying "..and now you can get it all in one damn box". Anything not to end on Ed Blandboy anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Had a bit of Uli Jon Roth although surely we've lost all respect for him since he finished a gig slightly late once...

I like how Lenny looped ( cough) it all back to Les Paul at the end. I guess it's a programme you could make again and again and always something different but perfectly nice bit of light documentary. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Guitar one was good, just think the personal journey thing that Stuart Copeland had going on the drums one got diluted as the episodes went on and became more standard documentary - I.e. the Edge stuff was existing footage and there were more lone talking heads without the interaction and enthusiasm of the host.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    No Jeff on the Guitar episode?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    edited January 2019
    No Ted McCarty, Forrest White or Don Randall either!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I enjoyed it but did wonder why the hell he didn’t tune that Rickenbacker before he played it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    I’ve enjoyed all three of the shows. Considering they were only an hour each I reckon they did a great job of making a fist of the history of each instrument and covering a decent amount of ground. 

Obviously there are gaps in the people covered in each one but as  general interest show then I thought they were great. As borne out by the apparent number of wives and partners who also seemed to enjoy them (mine included). 

I’d be keen to have a more in-depth series on each like they did with drums recently (the Steve White presented series) as I definitely learnt a chunk from that
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    dindude said:
    Guitar one was good, just think the personal journey thing that Stuart Copeland had going on the drums one got diluted as the episodes went on and became more standard documentary - I.e. the Edge stuff was existing footage and there were more lone talking heads without the interaction and enthusiasm of the host.
    I think within the limitations of an hour I'd have preferred more of the personal journey as a formal documentary was always going to miss so much out. I know no more about Lenny Kaye now than I did before. 

But looking forward to On Flute, On Harpsichord, On Trombone...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I enjoyed the first 2 episodes, but the third one was dull IMO. Joe Bonamassa, or Doug and Pat, would have done a better job, assuming free reign for the most part.

In fact, most of the regulars here would have done a better job. The premise of the show was "An exploration of the contribution of key instruments to modern popular music,"
    If you think that Charlie Christian invented the role of the guitar in "modern popular music" and you had made the decision to start and end with Charlie , that would have been fine with me.
    The programme needed a stronger personality (like Stuart Copeland) with an angle.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom