Low budget, high value

What's Hot

Comments

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Reading this thread is like letting loose with those foam aerosols you get from DIY stores.

Now just waiting for the Gibson fanbois to roll up and claim an R8 as the best value guitar under £5,000.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Revelation, the Danelectro DC 59, and Cort, especially their acoustics. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    57Deluxe said:
    Grumpyrocker said: and
    uncledick said:
    Early PRS SEs can be had for £150 now.  Really well made and properly capable of coping with a pickup/pot upgrade when you feel like it.
    I've got one I bought used in 2009. CU22, moons, fairly chunky neck. Changed the pickups for some Iron Gear. Fabulous guitar, as well made as any guitar I've played at any price. Very nice gig bag too.
    Best gig bags you will ever hope to find at any price.

Another SE vote. I sanded a few mm off the Fat Wide neck - (PRS isn't THAT Fat or Wide anyway tbh)

Also Pacifica gets my vote
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    My local shop has a Chinese Tokai Love Rock just over 300 and it is one of the better LP's I've played it almost makes me want one. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 988
    Squier Jazzmaster Deluxe. 

It's basically the incredibly popular Mascis signature model (as used by Tame Impala, Smith Street Band & J himself) , but in red... I bought mine new for under £300 & it's GREAT! 

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--4F05JCSr--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1487966695/uwqhtuseoginrokmxzys.jpg

The Mascis is £150 more expensive. 
    Nice to see a better photo which shows te colours.  Every other photo I’ve seen looks completely different...even the Fender website. https://www.dawsons.co.uk/squier-2017-deluxe-jazzmaster-electric-guitar-with-tremolo-candy-apple-red?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4P3EstXr3wIVRLDtCh0FPgy6EAQYAiABEgKN7_D_BwE
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    edited January 2019
    Telecaster from Alan George Guitars on Facebook. £88 delivered.

Lovely, chunky neck, perfectly dressed frets and light body - couple of minor flaws in the finish but nothing serious. The pick ups weren't bad but I swapped them out for Wilkinsons.

Gigged with it a few times and well impressed with it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2908
    edited January 2019
    I'm all for the cheaper underdog guitar. My main guitar for years was an Epiphone LP Custom, loved it and should have kept it!

Full disclosure I do own a Gibson SG but i really like the PRS SE guitars and would have no issue taking one over a Gibson based on the ones I've played, especially the Bernies. JHS Vintage are nice too and I'd definitely have an LTD Eclipse too. Most of the time they just need a pickup swap to get the best out of them.

I just don't think expensive guitars are worth the money - or at least I can't feel enough of a difference to justify the expense.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14501
    Everything that has been posted about Cort guitars also applies to the Made In Indonesia Hamer XT range from before production ceased. (Less keen on the Korean ones. Haven’t tried the recent ones.) Find a nice one. Lavish it with TLC. Upgrade the pickup(s). Plug in to overdriven valve amplification. Grin.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I've got an inexpensive LTD Eclipse - an EC-256. It's really well made with no construction issues at all. The pickups are a bit pish so I think I might stick some Iron Gear ones in there soon. But otherwise it's a great guitar.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27135
    edited January 2019
    Not quite sub-300, but broke-necked Gibson SGs. If you get a good one it's certainly under 400 and they're about as good as guitars get.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6725
    I've got an inexpensive LTD Eclipse - an EC-256. It's really well made with no construction issues at all. The pickups are a bit pish so I think I might stick some Iron Gear ones in there soon. But otherwise it's a great guitar.
    I did this many moons ago and it really brought the guitar to life. Do it do it do it
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    edited January 2019
    soma1975 said:
    I've got an inexpensive LTD Eclipse - an EC-256. It's really well made with no construction issues at all. The pickups are a bit pish so I think I might stick some Iron Gear ones in there soon. But otherwise it's a great guitar.
    I did this many moons ago and it really brought the guitar to life. Do it do it do it
    I've never had a chance play one. How do the necks live up to the "thin U" description in comparision to the epi "slim taper" ?
  • soma1975 said:
    Spent quite some time last week adjusting the pickups and the pole-pieces and I've got it sounding pretty great now. So I may leave off the upgrade, for a while.

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6725
    gilby said:
    soma1975 said:
    I've never had a chance play one. How do the necks live up to the "thin U" description in comparision to the epi "slim taper" ?
    Been a few years since I owned it but played very much like a fast modern guitar without quite being an Ibanez Wizard neck. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    so4ma1975 said:
    gilby said:
    soma1975 said:
    Been a few years since I owned it but played very much like a fast modern guitar without quite being an Ibanez Wizard neck. 
    Ta for that. May have venture further out to try one.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 247
    If I had £300 budget I'd go used.  I'd go for a classic vibe hunt one down for £200 buy some customshop pickups for £100 to put In it.  I'd prob sand the neck down and get it all set up to my acquired taste :)
  • I've got an inexpensive LTD Eclipse - an EC-256. It's really well made with no construction issues at all. The pickups are a bit pish so I think I might stick some Iron Gear ones in there soon. But otherwise it's a great guitar.
    As I've mentioned many times on here, my main gigging guitar for years was an LTD EC1000... not exactly budget, but I'd take it over a Les Paul any day. My friend has an EC400 and that feels virtually identical, so I can't imagine the 256 being much different. Cracking guitars!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArjailerArjailer Frets: 103
    LuttiS said:
    Cort guitars.. most of the sub £300pack a punch. If you break your rules a but more, there is the Cort /Manson Telecasters.. which are Manson spec, Cort made. Hell of a guitar for £380ish.

In fact, thomann has them for sub £300 at the moment. So that one .Yeah
    Tried one of the Cort/Manson tele's over the christmas break (was looking for something different from my usual twinbucker rockers) - was very impressed - a great guitar for £400

Noticed last night they were only £220 on Thomann - ordered almost immediately  smiley  :+1: 
    As I've mentioned many times on here, my main gigging guitar for years was an LTD EC1000... not exactly budget, but I'd take it over a Les Paul any day. My friend has an EC400 and that feels virtually identical, so I can't imagine the 256 being much different. Cracking guitars!
    Yep can't really think of a thing wrong with it. Excellent guitars for the price.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1704
    i fancy that Silvertone 1423.Looks great and usuable value for 249 .Liked by many  it seems and I may well get one .