Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I think Sonos is the shittest thing in the world.

What's Hot

Comments

• I have many sonos (sonos's, soni?) all over the house. The recent app update that allows them to be dropped in and out of the group on the fly is a real boon.
    I love letting my music follow me around the house as I'm doing stuff.
    One of them has been playing up for a while, dropping out even if hard-wired to the network and I must say that the technical support from sonos, through twitter, was absolutely superb. Ultimately they couldn't fix it (but boy did they try) and it was out of warranty but they did ask for it to be returned and gave me a monster discount on a replacement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

My wife said that the reason I like Alexa is because its the only thing in the house that I can successfully boss about.

Sad, but true.

Thankfully, since I changed my AV/hi fi kit, it all works seamlessly via Alexa, Spotify & airplay & Sky Q. Largely pain free to set up too.

Sony STR1080 amp & Sky Q, a few ipads & iphones and good old Alexa.

How did I manage back in the 80s with an HMV music centre?? Answer - just fine.

• simonk said:
    Something vexes thee??
    Cancel all the kitchen scraps for the lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas!

A mighty rant but one I don't understand! I've got 3 Play 1's and a Play 5 and I couldn't be happier with Sonos. The app is really easy to use, pulls together all of the music services and the sound quality is exceptional. My Sonos system is one of the best things I've bought! I spent £1k kitting out my house with Sonos in 4 rooms and I've now got an extremely versatile sound setup that allows me to play different music in different rooms or the same across all 4, in sync, and all for the cost of about 1 decent sound system. I'm getting a Beam as soon as I move house next month and my new neighbours are going to hate me. My guitars are the least of their worries.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I have 4 Google speakers in the house.  I use Google Home to turn on a lamp in the front room that I can't reach easily.  And to tell me if an actor I've seen on the telly is still alive/married/gay.

I'm sure there's probably other stuff she can do.  I quite like to hear her voice in general though, makes a change from the wife and kids.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    MrBump said:
    I have 4 Google speakers in the house.  I use Google Home to turn on a lamp in the front room that I can't reach easily.  And to tell me if an actor I've seen on the telly is still alive/married/gay.

I'm sure there's probably other stuff she can do.  I quite like to hear her voice in general though, makes a change from the wife and kids.
    Just read over that, and it does sound like I'm coming out, and stalking gay actors as potential love interests.

I'm not, and I'm not.
    Mark de Manbey

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    MrBump said:
    MrBump said:

Just read over that, and it does sound like I'm coming out, and stalking gay actors as potential love interests.

I'm not, and I'm not.
    You have to admire Google for building a technology that has enabled you to express your true feelings to the NSA and GCHQ* while you suppress your inner emotions here on The Fretboard.

* In the interests of completeness also these organisations:
    • Metropolitan Police Service
    • City of London Police
    • Police forces maintained under section 2 of the Police Act 1996
    • Police Service of Scotland
    • Police Service of Northern Ireland
    • British Transport Police
    • Ministry of Defence Police
    • Royal Navy Police
    • Royal Military Police
    • Royal Air Force Police
    • Security Service
    • Secret Intelligence Service
    • Ministry of Defence
    • Department of Health
    • Home Office
    • Ministry of Justice
    • National Crime Agency
    • HM Revenue & Customs
    • Department for Transport
    • Department for Work and Pensions
    • NHS trusts and foundation trusts in England that provide ambulance services
    • Common Services Agency for the Scottish Health Service
    • Competition and Markets Authority
    • Criminal Cases Review Commission
    • Department for Communities in Northern Ireland
    • Department for the Economy in Northern Ireland
    • Department of Justice in Northern Ireland
    • Financial Conduct Authority
    • Fire and rescue authorities under the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004
    • Food Standards Agency
    • Food Standards Scotland
    • Gambling Commission
    • Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority
    • Health and Safety Executive
    • Independent Police Complaints Commissioner
    • Information Commissioner
    • NHS Business Services Authority
    • Northern Ireland Ambulance Service Health and Social Care Trust
    • Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service Board
    • Northern Ireland Health and Social Care Regional Business Services Organisation
    • Office of Communications
    • Office of the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland
    • Police Investigations and Review Commissioner
    • Scottish Ambulance Service Board
    • Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission
    • Serious Fraud Office
    • Welsh Ambulance Services National Health Service Trust
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If the above organisations have a strategic interest in the time at which I turn on my living room lamp, good luck to them.
    Mark de Manbey

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    MrBump said:
    MrBump said:

I'm not, and I'm not.
    But no can accuse you of potential necrophilia, so that's a positive.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Sooo sat in the kitchen cooking (Meatballs in a spicy red wine, mushroom and red pepper sauce) listening to The Cranberries via my Sonos Play - not as good as my Avi hifi but not bad either :)

I'm fairly sure the red wine helps ;)
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    edited January 2019
    Still hating it, fundamentally. Today I wanted to play guitar along to some songs...the usual 5 minutes cocking around firing up the app, finding the right playlist, getting it to play. It was playing on the phone but not the Sonos. Ah shit, in on the Spotify app, not the Sonos app. Fire up the Sonos app. Find the playlist again. Can't. Why is that? Ah, because that playlist was in my wife's Spotify account, not mine which is not linked to the Sonos account. Ok...search for the song using the search function. Got that playing. Wrong Sonos speaker. Change speaker. Finally. Get the guitar on. Song stops. Now skips to next song for some reason. That songs stops. Put guitar away.

Mother. Fucker.
    not a good experience then ??
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    My house is full of guitars, drums, amps, PA equipment and blissful silence. 

Music is overrated IMO. 
  • Still hating it, fundamentally. Today I wanted to play guitar along to some songs...the usual 5 minutes cocking around firing up the app, finding the right playlist, getting it to play. It was playing on the phone but not the Sonos. Ah shit, in on the Spotify app, not the Sonos app. Fire up the Sonos app. Find the playlist again. Can't. Why is that? Ah, because that playlist was in my wife's Spotify account, not mine which is not linked to the Sonos account. Ok...search for the song using the search function. Got that playing. Wrong Sonos speaker. Change speaker. Finally. Get the guitar on. Song stops. Now skips to next song for some reason. That songs stops. Put guitar away.

Mother. Fucker.
    You know you can go direct to Sonos speaker from Spotify, you don’t need the Sonos app.

• Still hating it, fundamentally. Today I wanted to play guitar along to some songs...the usual 5 minutes cocking around firing up the app, finding the right playlist, getting it to play. It was playing on the phone but not the Sonos. Ah shit, in on the Spotify app, not the Sonos app. Fire up the Sonos app. Find the playlist again. Can't. Why is that? Ah, because that playlist was in my wife's Spotify account, not mine which is not linked to the Sonos account. Ok...search for the song using the search function. Got that playing. Wrong Sonos speaker. Change speaker. Finally. Get the guitar on. Song stops. Now skips to next song for some reason. That songs stops. Put guitar away.

Mother. Fucker.
    It really just sounds like you haven't taken the time to set it up correctly. I have a lodger and we have both of our Spotify and Google Play accounts on it, as well as other services. Just a quick tap of the app and a search for whatever I want to listen to, be it song, album or playlist and it searches across all platforms and plays instantly. It's simply sublime.

About the skipping - are you on iPhone? I get the skipping too, its an IOS issue but because I've got spotify I just stream from there. It will get sorted one day. They recommend turning bluetooth off. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/305#mobiledevice

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• Must admit I'm not into it either...
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    I love my Sonos.

Superb sound quality, really practical and cheap as chips...

I sold my £4k Naim separates when I got the Sonos...
    You lunatic! Although, £4K doesn’t buy you much Naim kit these days. Probably just a CD player for that money.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I fucking hate it. Above anything else, it has been instrumental in preventing me from listening to more music and spoiling my mood than any other thing in the world. It's a device from fucking Satan.

I have two of the fucking cunts. A small one and a larger one and they are both complete shite. I spend 20 minutes fucking about with either the Sonos app or the Spotify app trying to get it to play the song I want before the mood passes, before giving up and throwing my phone / iPad / laptop across the room. I fucking hate it.

I used to have records. Put the fucking record on the fucking turntable. Play the fucking thing. Then I had CDs - put the fucking CD in the fucking CD player. Play the fucking thing. Now there's this shite. Fucking 15 fucking quid a month for Spotify for all the music in the fucking world and I never listen to a fucking thing.

And Alexa's fucking worse, except she scares the shit out of me by shouting at me for no reason when I'm standing in the kitchen, minding my own business, not saying a fucking thing.

They are all going in the crusher.

Fuck 'em.
    So you are a Telecaster player then?

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hey I play a Tele and my Sonos works seamlessly via the Sonos App ;)

I do like a bit of networked music mind in fact I realised as I typed that I've been using a Mac Mini as a media server and various Apple TV's for well over a decade now. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Let alone when the cunt made all that money from shorting the pound!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Mother. Fucker.
    You know you can go direct to Sonos speaker from Spotify, you don’t need the Sonos app.

Oh can you. Fucking can you.

;)

Frequently my sonos speakers don't show up on the Spotify app. If they do, then when I select them and click play nothing happens for about half a minute, then it goes back to playing on my phone. Which is why I switched to the Sonos app. Which worked initially but it now almost as flakey.