Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ash, don't leave us!

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9678
    mrkb said:
    I only heard about oil city through ash’s presence on this forum, and have bought a cowtron and am about to buy a mighty ninety. So there are benefits to businesses posting and interacting here.
    ^ This. Learnt about OilCity through this forum, and have placed a couple of orders.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Bigsby said:
    gilby said:
    "Instant gratification", really does sum up today's society. 
    I don't think that really works in this context: The telephone is a lot more 'instant' than an online contact form or e-mail will ever be, and telephones have been around a lot longer than any of us. 

And people still complain of phones not being picked up and messages not being replied to straight away.
    It's not the method, it's the expectations people have.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2950
    gilby said:
    Bigsby said:
    gilby said:
    I don't think that really works in this context: The telephone is a lot more 'instant' than an online contact form or e-mail will ever be, and telephones have been around a lot longer than any of us. 

And people still complain of phones not being picked up and messages not being replied to straight away.
    Are you suggesting 'phones being answered' is an unreasonable expectation? Or that such an expectation sums up today's society? Did people in the 1950s not expect phones to be answered? 

None of this has anything to do with 'instant gratification' or 'unreasonable expectations'. FWIW, if I have an outstanding enquiry from a potential new client, I'll respond to it before I log onto any forum. So far that's helped me deal with managing their expectations over reply times... :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  •  No personal abuse or insults have been thrown  so why throw the toys out of the pram and leave the party

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    57Deluxe said:
    who are the culprits that have led to this decision - surely they should be the ones to go??
    Agree Ash is a gentleman.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I’m not really getting this one tbh, the OP in original thread moved on, I left my own critique of the Oil City website but have since ordered from it. It’s the on-lookers and curtain twitchers wanting to brighten up their day that have made this one controversial, and people jumping on complaining how hard it is to run a small busiess. Well I’ve answered 4 emails this morning and I work for a big business - I’m not asking anyone to feel sorry for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    who are the culprits that have led to this decision - surely they should be the ones to go?

The OP was justifiably a little annoyed due to late or no replies to inquiries. He didn't mention names or abuse, shout or swear at anyone so why should he walk the plank?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    RBigsby said:
    gilby said:
    Bigsby said:
    gilby said:

Are you suggesting 'phones being answered' is an unreasonable expectation? Or that such an expectation sums up today's society? Did people in the 1950s not expect phones to be answered? 

None of this has anything to do with 'instant gratification' or 'unreasonable expectations'. FWIW, if I have an outstanding enquiry from a potential new client, I'll respond to it before I log onto any forum. So far that's helped me deal with managing their expectations over reply times...
    In the context of dealing with a one man manufacturing operation, wouldn't it be reasonable to accept that they may actually be busy manufacturing, collecting supplies, dealing with accounts ? They may even be involved in more pressing personal stuff or simply ill or taking some me time.
    We have become so used to having so much available online 24hrs a day that people forget that there is a human being behind that service. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    I'm a big fan of Ash's pickups. I like it when he chimes in on here with some experience based info too. Let's not ruin it :anguished: 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14270
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    Correct @Iamnobody , I and many other businesses on here have done well on the Fretboard.  But, this is just 1 of 5-10 outlets for us as a business. The problem is, do you contribute and put your head on the block or do you just sign in and upload to your own thread then leave? The latter is discouraged and most people who do that don’t get much business because no one trusts them.

For me, coming here is a definitely “one more thing I have to do” at the end of the day. And it’s hard keeping on top of all the lines of inquiries. Tbh, my thread attracts views, but it certainly doesn’t inspire conversation. So, uploading to Imgur then faffing around copying and pasting has been low on my list this past week tbh. 

Im happy to let my regular interaction here drop if I’m spending the time on my business instead.
    I'm another one man business on FB - Be it in the Music Trade, or like other FB members who run a business outside the Music Trade, there are many activities that raid our time, as such it is hard to be proactive all the time - Equally I have many hours available in a week or month, when I wish I had 'something else' to do - Work, in some guise or another, never comes in on an even time scale basis, it is always adhoc, so famine and feast

I'm fortunate that I've been at this for many years now and very much in the autumn of my 'business career' with a store that can sustain a comfortable income etc - However I've always defended my decision to not use, Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites as it is as you say 'one more thing I have to do at the end of the day'  - I have no doubt it might add an extra sale or two, but those that try to sell me this 'business opportunity/outlet'  assume I have a poor business and need more sales leads - Maybe I'd take up this option if it could bring me more business when I'm quite, but I certainly can't handle any more business when I'm busy

As such I totally ignore Facebook, Twitter and other media channels - I have a store, a web site, e-mails, Reverb and FB - As such I can handle such activities and then chill out at the end of the day, as and when required- Add to this I have 17 guitars shows to exhibit at in 2019 and I like such shows - Hard work - Long days - But I much prefer the shows as I treat them as my 'social media' outlet as I can actually see and meet a human face 

@theguitarweasel - I like many FB members, did not know who Ash and Oil City were until I became a member of FB - Since then I've used him on a few occasions and purchased a few pick-ups for various jobs - I for one hope he stays and as others have said he has great knowledge that he often provides to us all at zero cost

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2950
    gilby said:
    RBigsby said:
    gilby said:
    Bigsby said:
    gilby said:

None of this has anything to do with 'instant gratification' or 'unreasonable expectations'. FWIW, if I have an outstanding enquiry from a potential new client, I'll respond to it before I log onto any forum. So far that's helped me deal with managing their expectations over reply times...
    In the context of dealing with a one man manufacturing operation, wouldn't it be reasonable to accept that they may actually be busy manufacturing, collecting supplies, dealing with accounts ? They may even be involved in more pressing personal stuff or simply ill or taking some me time.
    We have become so used to having so much available online 24hrs a day that people forget that there is a human being behind that service. 
    Of course that's reasonable - no one's even disputing it, that's a straw man argument, and nothing to do with 'instant gratification'. A reply to an online enquiry within a week is not 'instant', (unlike the old fashioned phone), nor is it unreasonable to expect it as the norm - and obviously there can be occasions when that norm is not met. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14436
    Sassafras said:
    In the old days we had to use messengers for communication and if you didn't like a certain response you ended up having to shoot that messenger which hugely disrupted the whole process.

Chiswick! Fresh horses!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278

@theguitarweasel - I like many FB members, did not know who Ash and Oil City were until I became a member of FB - Since then I've used him on a few occasions and purchased a few pick-ups for various jobs - I for one hope he stays and as others have said he has great knowledge that he often provides to us all at zero cost

I was going to echo this last point and it was through recommendations from members here that turned me onto Oil City.
    The service and comms for me were great, as are the pickups - thanks Ash.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    @guitars4you - The usual honest, considered and wise insight mate. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    I’d prefer him to go. 

Only joking! Plus he’s a great magician. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    The posse has disbanded, the firebrands are extinguished, the pitchforks are back in the toybox and all is well again in fretboardland.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I'm a big fan of Ash's pickups. I like it when he chimes in on here with some experience based info too. Let's not ruin it :anguished: 

^^^^^
    This!!
    Top bloke, genius pickup winder and I really value his contributions and threads about his repairs, rewinds, etc.

I probably would never have heard of Oil City but for this forum and now at least 6 of my guitars have OC pickups installed.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    As I have said on a separate thread this place is all getting a wee bit too pitchforky these days. Been around for a couple of years now and learnt a lot through FB but I’m kinda getting to the point now where I’m just wondering if we have all become a little bit too bitchy? 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    As I have said on a separate thread this place is all getting a wee bit too pitchforky these days. Been around for a couple of years now and learnt a lot through FB but I’m kinda getting to the point now where I’m just wondering if we have all become a little bit too bitchy? 
    Problem is less actual musicans being replaced by  guitar corksniffers :/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I've had nothing but great service from Ash, and value the expertise he adds to discussions here