Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ash, don't leave us!

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Ok. Fair warning - this thread is in danger of provoking a mod reaction. 

I strongly suggest everyone steps away, refrains from posting any more digs and leaves it alone before the line is crossed. 
    Decided not to step away then guys? It’s bad enough the missus is forcing me to watch Les Mis on the telly...

Moving to BCD, and closing the thread pending a modmin review.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Right, after modmin discussions, the thread derail resulting from two members deciding to trade insults has been deleted and I’m reopening it.

1. Keep it civil
    2. No personal insults to be traded at all
    3. Keep it on topic and not a repeat of the original thread. 

You’ve been given fair warning - stick to the above three points or stronger modmin action will be taken. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ok. Let’s try this one more time.

Keep comments on topic. Please do take time to read the subject title and the rest of the thread to understand what on-topic actually means in this context. 

Two members are in the cooler already as a result of this thread so think before you post. 
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    My only comments, as a relative newcomer, are that it's very much appreciated to see experts in their field on this board - whether it's pickup manufacturers, techs, retailers, builders, etc. It's an invaluable source of help, and I would prefer to try and give business to members of this board as a result of that. Hopefully, the benefit works both ways.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited January 2019
    Have to admit I’ve only ordered from ash the once... but I did find his service lacking... 

I called him on the phone to discuss the pup in question and he only spent just over an hour talking to me about the pickup, press calls, photography and previous careers... I understand that I’d never spoke to him previously but did feel that it was a bit much that he cut the call “short” because his dinner was being put on the table...

I mean ffs! Really? Can’t carry on talking nonsense to a customer just because you have to eat? What is the world coming to?

and to add further insult to the transaction it took two whole days for the pickup to arrive in the post!!!!! I can only assume that the handwiring process slowed up the whole deal!...

Ash, to echo what others have said... you leave and this place looses something!...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

For the sake of balance, can we all agree to behave "correctly" when dealing with anyone who earns their livelihood from music-related businesses?

So, preferably contact them during their hours of business, not on a Sunday afternoon or late at night when they might reasonably be expected to be having a well-earned rest from their labours. No-one really wants to be answering emails or texts at midnight, for example (it has happened).

Allow for the fact that they might have had to run an errand for family members (daughters with children of their own in particular) or popped to the shop for milk for their coffee to keep them awake during the long working hours.

Make firm appointments (not "sometime tomorrow") so that people might be able to judge when might be a time to pop out for essentials, i.e. biscuits.

When making appointments, be sure to turn up for those appointments rather than cease all communication for six months before reappearing, with the expectation that they will remember everything about any previous conversations.

Make sure to say "there's no rush" unless absolutely necessary, and mean it.

;)

- - - - -

As for Ash, my dealings with him have always been positive and I hope I have never let him down by failing to observe the niceties above.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Total gent and great pickups. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    But if you do leave Ash, can you check your workshop for any CowTrons and sell them to me on payday?

But seriously,

Ash is a big part of this forum and knows his pickups, so would be a real shame if he decides not to get involved anymore.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6702
    soma1975 said:
    Christ can everyone just grow up? 
    Sorry you only have approx 400 frets so I will not be taking your advice to grow up. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14440
    a mod reaction. 
    Lights going off and a kick in the balls. That's entertainment.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6702
    edited January 2019
    soma1975 said:
    Christ can everyone just grow up? 
    Sorry you only have approx 400 frets so I will not be taking your advice to grow up. 

I thought that was quite respectable and now I feel crushed 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I bought a Ricky the other day. How's that for a mod reaction?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11775
    Paul_C said:

For the sake of balance, can we all agree to behave "correctly" when dealing with anyone.
    This, please :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Hattigol said:
    I bought a Ricky the other day. How's that for a mod reaction?
    Careful. That reaction could leave you in The Jam.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9543
    Lots of people here saying the fretboard is becoming a bitchy place and not nice to be here anymore. Yes there are some out of line moments like all forums but there’s a good community here :) 

I’ll be honest and say that Ash you are truly a great guy as I’ve personally bought from you myself but you’ve made this a far bigger deal in your own head than it actually was/is and your comments about leaving were not justified 

It’s not helped by the pitchfork crew that just pipe up for a rumble to string up the OP because he’s upset their mate when actually he had a valid point in the first place 

A brilliant post, wiz awarded, and a perfect summary, imho.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4833
    It's only a valid point as it fits both your narratives though surely? Same as the points that I made only fit mine, and on those points we'll agree to disagree which is what decent people do. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14440
    What this Discussion needs is one of those market research surveys, investigating what tFBers expect - no matter how unrealistic - from their replacement pickup purchase experience.

This could cover all aspects, from price and turnaround times, to fantasies that the pickups might magically transform the purchaser’s guitar sound into a thing of wonder.

Where are those pollster wallahs when we need them?

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • +1 on the Ash please don't go from me

lovely fella to deal with, most excellent pickups and very generous in sharing expertise and knowledge on this here forum 

as for response times, have you never had a request for information dissapear into the innards of a large company either never to reappear or to be returned with some unhelpful response?

the reason that Ash and his like take a little longer sometimes is precisely the same reason why they are a pleasure to deal with, individuals or very small companies that can and will give you exactly what you want - having helped you determine that with helpful advice in the first place

the Fretboard is a most excellent place with only a minimum of the kind of harsh communication that characterises a lot web chatter

it is all the more excellent because professionals like Ash, Thorpy, Rift and many more contribute here, please let's not chase them away
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    edited January 2019
    I read the original thread when it first appeared, but didn't want to wade in... then I read the whole thing when it was closed, shaking my head sadly.

I'm fairly new here, but I've found this forum to be the friendliest and most useful one I've been on, hence I'm still here - unlike the others I've tried in the past.

As quite a few others have said I wouldn't have heard of Oil City without being on here - and the same goes for Feline Guitars. I'm definitely going to be speaking to Ash about pickups at some point, and I'd love a Feline guitar, although that's out of reach at the moment (I bought some strings though, woo-hoo!). I'd heard of Peach Guitars before joining tfb, but it was interacting with them on here that made me decide to drive to Colchester to get an amp and a guitar rather than order them online from GAK... it's a shame they're not here any more, and it would be sad if anyone else left.

Regarding all the comments about instant gratification, I can remember writing away for catalogues and enclosing an SAE, or stamps... we genuinely sometimes seem to forget how good we've got it nowadays.

And as for keyboard warriors... they're *everywhere*. If you ever feel like you've got too much faith in humanity, just read a few YouTube comments O_o

prlgmnr said:
    gilby said:
    "Instant gratification", really does some up today's society. If you want something hand made you got to expect that the guy might be busy hand making stuff ! If you've no patience then buy a dimarzio via Amazon prime and be happy.
    (I wonder if people complained about Michael Angelo taking too long resoonding to parchments? )

Honestly took a minute trying to work out what Batio had to do with all this.
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one, @gilby

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)