I'm not a fast player.. I admit it.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Barney said:

Yeah I think the way to increase the maximum speed you have is just like Bingefeller says ..but I hear a lot of people that seem to have mastered playing very fast but struggle with it playing at slower tempos ...for me not sure how everybody else is ...I use the wrist more on slower speeds and quicker use the arm from the elbow ...so both these require different techniques .. my picking isn't great though so I use a combination of other things
    I always tell people to use the wrist....and then I videoed myself playing and it definitely comes from the elbow more the faster it gets (it looked shit!  =) ). 

I read something (poss Martin Goulding?) saying it's just a case of retraining the brain, which is really interesting and true....there's an arp pattern I use a lot and can play no problem very quickly - add one or two more notes and you can change it from Am to Fmaj7 - but in doing that change I can't do it anywhere near as quickly. It's almost exactly the same fingering, same position, but just isn't there yet. Having typed that I realise that it is an incredibly boring anecdote, I just find that stuff really interesting  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    edited January 2019
    Barney said:

Yeah I think the way to increase the maximum speed you have is just like Bingefeller says ..but I hear a lot of people that seem to have mastered playing very fast but struggle with it playing at slower tempos ...for me not sure how everybody else is ...I use the wrist more on slower speeds and quicker use the arm from the elbow ...so both these require different techniques .. my picking isn't great though so I use a combination of other things
    I always tell people to use the wrist....and then I videoed myself playing and it definitely comes from the elbow more the faster it gets (it looked shit!  ). 

I read something (poss Martin Goulding?) saying it's just a case of retraining the brain, which is really interesting and true....there's an arp pattern I use a lot and can play no problem very quickly - add one or two more notes and you can change it from Am to Fmaj7 - but in doing that change I can't do it anywhere near as quickly. It's almost exactly the same fingering, same position, but just isn't there yet. Having typed that I realise that it is an incredibly boring anecdote, I just find that stuff really interesting 
    I was told on a Skype lesson I had ..a good way to improve alt. Picking ..and this guy was awesome at it ..jazz player ...was not to actually pick the notes ....so play a scale for e.g. and simulate picking but not actually picking so really your relying on the left hand to sort of sound a note ...then after a while slowly introduce the pick so you are just sounding ...it makes a light touch on picking hand .....I wasn't sure but I tried it and it does work ...which reminds me I need to start doing it again

He said it gives really good coordination with right and left hand because a lot of the time it's not so much technique than left right hand coordination 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom