Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Pete Thorn sig PT15 including Reactive Load and IR loader

What's Hot

Comments

• still stumps me why it took so long generally for manufacturers to realise a quality low watt amp was desirable for gigging and practicality. Been playing over 35 years and had a ton of amps that were too much for my needs in terms of output. Even back in the day it was always a pain for PA/Engineer levels

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    @hobobulous you’re in the know, were Suhr actually at NAMM this year? Can’t see any coverage 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited January 2019
    By appointment only, not on the NAMM floor. I'm guessing that since Mike Ponce, John's right hand man, left in Jan, they've focus send on the amp and Reactive Load IR and largely left the guitars as they were.....which is a pretty good move given that tweaking for tweaking sake isn't their style. The Aura is the focus so I guess we'll see once they're all out of the door. I'd imagine an Aura custom option is likely and the new trem on the PT sig seems like it could filter down.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    By appointment only, not on the NAMM floor. I'm guessing that since Mike Ponce, John's right hand man, left in Jan, they've focus send on the amp and Reactive Load IR and largely left the guitars as they were.....which is a pretty good move given that tweaking for tweaking sake isn't their style. The Aura is the focus so I guess we'll see once they're all out of the door. I'd imagine an Aura custom option is likely and the new trem on the PT sig seems like it could filter down.
    That makes sense, took them a while to get the subtle tweaks announced at NAMM last year out so wasn’t expecting major changes. 
  • Personally I'd rather have a separate Load/IR and amp for the sake of versatility.  With this a substantial amount of the price is essentially going on a load and IR box that you can't use on any other amps.  The integration is nice and everything but you're missing out on a lot of flexibility.  Wonder if they'll do a cheaper cut down version....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
    you can buy the Suhr reactive load/IR box separately for £600.

It will be really interesting to see if this sells really well, or does nothing

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited January 2019
    It does seem like everything PT might want for convenience in a single box, but for the rest of us it's all our eggs in one basket.  At £2700 you'd think twice about buying a new amp as you'd lose all the reactive load and IR capability, makes more sense for most people to have it in separate boxes.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    I love the idea of it but unfortunately not at that price.
  • When I heard it was 15w I was gutted. Was waiting for a PT50 (or even a 30) for a good long time which would have been perfect.. the drummer in my band would *eat* 15 watts  =)
    Maybe the next amp that's coming will have more wattage
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    When I heard it was 15w I was gutted. Was waiting for a PT50 (or even a 30) for a good long time which would have been perfect.. the drummer in my band would *eat* 15 watts 
    but these are meant to be loud and have high clean headroom as well and so best wait and see :)

I use a Divided by 13 that's 15 watts. Whatever it's got in it ?? efficient transformers, it can keep up with much higher wattage amps and a drummer.

BTW, there is a PT50, but not with this new spec.
  • Kebabkid said:
    When I heard it was 15w I was gutted. Was waiting for a PT50 (or even a 30) for a good long time which would have been perfect.. the drummer in my band would *eat* 15 watts 
    but these are meant to be loud and have high clean headroom as well and so best wait and see :)

I use a Divided by 13 that's 15 watts. Whatever it's got in it ?? efficient transformers, it can keep up with much higher wattage amps and a drummer.

BTW, there is a PT50, but not with this new spec.
    Yeah I'm holding out some hope but any amp under 30 watts for me has never held it with the band I'm currently in..  There's 6 of us too and 90% of the time I'm not through the PA so that doesn't help...  Still, here's hoping!

Is the PT50 you mentioned the old one or the one that's coming out?  I had heard that there was a PT50s years ago (maybe by CAE?) but didn't quite get the PT100 sound.  Might still be worth looking at though, nice one
    I see. Yes, the PT50 is an older model. @octatonic - as an owner, over to you on that one
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    edited February 2019
    The CAA PT50 sounds the same as the CAA PT100.
    The only difference is the loudness and slight difference to the bottom end, but the PT's have loads of bass anyway, I run the bass control on 4, max.
    I've had them side by side (when I bought it) to compare with the same speaker cab on each.

I've seen a couple of people say they are different on forums and when I looked into it it turned out they were using different speakers in the cabs between the two, which would explain the difference.

The master volume on both amps is so good that either would work in a pub.
    I used my PT50 as my home amp for a long time- it is big but works at very low volume.
    It has been my main amp since 2011 and I have no plans to change it.
  • octatonic said:
    The only difference is the loudness and slight difference to the bottom end, but the PT's have loads of bass anyway, I run the bass control on 4, max.
    I've had them side by side (when I bought it) to compare with the same speaker cab on each.

I've seen a couple of people say they are different on forums and when I looked into it it turned out they were using different speakers in the cabs between the two, which would explain the difference.

I used my PT50 as my home amp for a long time- it is big but works at very low volume.
    Class!  Yeah CAA, can never remember that  =)

That sounds like it'd be right up my street.  Only issue I can see would be the size and the weight of it but it might just be worth it.  I'll keep my eye out while I wait to try out the PT15 to gauge the volume in levels of terror 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    octatonic said:

Class!  Yeah CAA, can never remember that  =)

That sounds like it'd be right up my street.  Only issue I can see would be the size and the weight of it but it might just be worth it.  I'll keep my eye out while I wait to try out the PT15 to gauge the volume in levels of terror 
    It is a big amp- same sort of size and weight as a Diesel/Bogner etc (not as big as VH4).
    And here it is and they'll be shipping very soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzp_SnpA6Lo

• rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    I had a CAA PT100. Really nice amp. Kinda miss that one!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Anyone got an order in?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2580
    tFB Trader
    great idea, the switching of IR's with the channels is another level of brilliant, but wow that price is something else.
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 340
    Great concept

a lot of amp

a lot of money....