Cheap FRFR speaker

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3072
I've been thinking of going for the Headrush Frfr speaker cab but, I just wondered is there any thing cheaper out there that's still worth looking at? Second hand is fine too.

It'll be to use with my Helix LT for monitoring myself 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2444
    edited January 2019
    I think the Headrush FrFr is basically a re-badged Alto TS312. If that's the case, the Alto was a good speaker, but there are certainly better speakers out there; personally, I'd see if you can get a used Yamaha DXR10. They're very, very good indeed and shouldn't be too much more.

EDIT: Just researched it some more, and I assume you mean the 12" version? Lots of good feedback on it, saying it's a great speaker, and seems to be the best 'bang for buck' FrFr speaker.... so much so, I've actually just ordered one myself!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 233
    edited January 2019
    RCF ART 310 is what I have used for the last 6 months and 20 or so gigs. Sounds great on a pole behind me. Was £240 inc 3 year warranty from thomman. Its loud - volume on speaker just under half and 11 o'clock on helix. I plug my helix direct to speaker via xlr then xlr from speaker through to desk
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_art_310_a_mk_iii.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQiA4aXiBRCRARIsAMBZGz_xGa3wyk5Vrt0Oblx5HH1cW3kYkruJx521kFlqyW_Kjtgsl37WmkMaAtWIEALw_wcB
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24687
    If it's only in the house - then consider a studio monitor.

Yamaha HS7 is a good bit of kit. 1 will do if you play in mono.

Plenty loud enough for at home, and works great with Helix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3072
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just ordered a TS312 from gear4music. Only £260, bargain. Will give opinions tomorrow 

• The headrush speaker is the same enclosure as the alto TS312 but the dsp has been re-voiced by headrush for use with modellers.
    .....just ordered a second Headrush speaker for stereo FrFr.

Damn you, @Stevepage . It's all your fault.

BTW - GAK have the Headrush 12" for £250..... and it's meant to be better for modellers, as the post above me mentions.
    Well I'll see how I get on with the Alto today. I can always return it and get the Headrush. Wish I found it sooner
    Well I'm very pleased with the Alto. Got the exact tone I'm after with it and I'm looking forward to using it with the band next month. 

This has just sealed my decision to move on from a valve head and 4 x 12
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1690
    edited January 2019
    are there other guitarists in the band? do they use 4x12??

if so, you "may" struggle to compete...  I found the monitoring to personally focussed whereas the other guitarists 4x12 filled to room... I guess I should have tried a pole mount..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Yeah he's using a 4 x 12 but is considering switching to modelling too. I'll be taking a line out from the Alto into the PA too so I'm not too concerned 
  • I bought the same Alto in December, as at the time it was £40 cheaper than the Headrush and seemed virtually identical. Very happy with it so far, no regrets whatsoever. Not gigged it yet but rehearsed with both guitar and bass it sounds great. Never tried any of the more premium FRFR/PA speakers with my Amplifire, but don't feel any great need to upgrade.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 233
    put it on a short pole so waist height - makes a huge difference. We put a bit of my guitar in bass players monitor at some venues but mostly just feels like my amp
    Just played wiith the Headrush speaker - sounds great! Very impressed for £250.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    I've just bought a hamaha dxr 10 on ebay for £220 + postage and that had a lot of love on here.  I have only played through it once with a sensible set up but sounds good
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3409
    Laney IRT-X worth a look.  There were some going for a good price on here recently. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    The thing that's bothering me about a lot of these FRFR cabs, is the way they are constantly being described by their various manufacturers as 'tuned for guitar'.

If it's really FRFR, how can it be? Surely by definition it's supposed to be providing a flat response, no matter what is fed into it, otherwise it's not FRFR?
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    A true FRFR speaker is actually marketing BS
    They definitely don't exist at the cheap end of the spectrum

If you're going down this route, don't put your signal thru a poxy speaker lads.
    You'll end up hating it and going back to normal amps.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited January 2019
    andyoz said:
    A true FRFR speaker is actually marketing BS
    They definitely don't exist at the cheap end of the spectrum

If you're going down this route, don't put your signal thru a poxy speaker lads.
    You'll end up hating it and going back to normal amps.
    I use my helix through a DB B-hype 8 (£130) as a personal monitor as it's loads lighter and smaller than my DXR10 which these days sits at home.  Cheap speakers don't have to sound rubbish
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2019
    Double post

• GadgetGadget Frets: 897
    What's your recommendation?
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........