From meh to YEAHHH

What's Hot
as in bands you thought were okay but now you really like..

for me its Belle and Sebastian, I always didn’t mind listening to them but yowsers do I love them now, lyrical geniuses they be.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And now he's throwing discus
    For Liverpool and Widnes

You only did it so that you could wear
    Terry underwear
    And feel the city air
    Run past your body

Bloody genius
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    And now he's throwing discus
    For Liverpool and Widnes
    Yep, I think that is one of my favourite rhymes of all time. Great stuff,
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72829
    edited January 2019
    Not a band, but...

Shakira

I didn’t really like her voice and I assumed she was just a pretty record-company-manufactured pop princess, until I heard one of her songs with a brilliant lyric and wondered who wrote it... and then found out she did - and it’s not even in her native language. Not only that, she often writes in more than one language, and she has a big hand in the production on her records too. She’s clearly extremely talented and a fairly forceful personality - I’ve also heard she’s not very nice to work for, which is probably the downside of that.

And she is nice to look at, but that’s genuinely not why I like her music .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2445
    ICBM said:
    Not a band, but...

Shakira

I didn’t really like her voice and I assumed she was just a pretty record-company-manufactured pop princess, until I heard one of her songs with a brilliant lyric and wondered who wrote it... and then found out she did - and it’s not even in her native language. Not only that, she often writes in more than one language, and she has a big hand in the production on her records too. She’s clearly extremely talented and a fairly forceful personality - I’ve also heard she’s not very nice to work for, which is probably the downside of that.

And she is nice to look at, but that’s genuinely not why I like her music .
    Trouble is, she always sounds like she's being very vigorously shaken when she sings, which is kind of off-putting....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:

Trouble is, she always sounds like she's being very vigorously shaken when she sings, which is kind of off-putting....
    I got used to it. This was the song...

Genius. Bonus points for using the word 'hydroponic' in a song :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Converge
    I used to only hear noise and screaming. Now I get it and think they’re brilliant. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Bob Dylan: in my teens all I could hear was a nasal voice and a horrid harmonica. Then I watched the Scorsese documentary and understood just how incredible a talent and intelligence the man is. From zero to hero. 
  • Mastodon. Got Leviathon when it came out...gave it 2 or 3 spins but didnt like it...fast froward years and got crack the skye and totally 180'ed ont he band, then worked back from there through their back catalog and remained a fan since.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    ICBM said:
    FarleyUK said:

Genius. Bonus points for using the word 'hydroponic' in a song :).

Sounds a bit like Alanis Moressete...but not as good. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    LastMantra said:

Sounds a bit like Alanis Moressete...
    Isn’t that ironic, don’t you think? ;)

Actually the difference is that it is - and it’s a much cleverer song too. That’s not the only example either, most of her writing in English is similar... I can’t give an opinion on her Spanish and Portuguese.

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    edited January 2019
    ICBM said:
    FarleyUK said:

Genius. Bonus points for using the word 'hydroponic' in a song .

Sounds a bit like Alanis Moressete...but not as good. 
    Then she cut her hair and signed for Liverpool. His hips dont lie...
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    as in bands you thought were okay but now you really like..

for me its Belle and Sebastian, I always didn’t mind listening to them but yowsers do I love them now, lyrical geniuses they be.
    My favourite is I didnt see it coming.. Love that tune... ps   I lol'd you by mistake. I missed the quote button..sozz abar that. as my son would say
  • I've found myself getting into Garbage as of late....in hindsight these actually have a pretty original sound, fusing pop, rock and techno. Plus, shirley manson....nuff said  

Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • used to lvoe the first 2 albums...havent really kept track of them since

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    Bombay Bicycle Club, always passed my by, but got into So Long See You Tomorrow when it came out which is an incredible album.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    I mean, how good is this....

https://youtu.be/GXNxPRniwRg

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4735

Tom Waits.  Never much fancied his stuff but have been listening to his first few albums loads lately, some great tracks.
    Also KT Tunstall. I didn’t like her first album at all, and still don’t - not least because I really can’t stand ‘Suddenly I See’, but there’s nothing else on it I like either, apart from Black Horse & The Cherry Tree and Another Place To Fall.

Drastic Fantastic was better, although it still has its good and bad songs, but from Tiger Suit onwards she’s been really consistently good.

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488

Tom Waits.  Never much fancied his stuff but have been listening to his first few albums loads lately, some great tracks.
    It’s tricky knowing where to go from there; if you like the jazzier/blusier side, check out blue valentine. If you prefer the folky side, you can find tender or alt rock interpretations on his folksy side by entering mule variations. Tbh Tom never really returned to closing time (he was 23 or so) apart from more country folk stuff like the kinky Friedman cover. 
    Ive been a Waits fan since I started secondary school with heart of Saturday night. Today, I am firmly in the Island records years although I’ve only been listening to the last 3 albums lately: mule variations, real gone, bad as me.