Noiseless guitars (other than Variax) - is there anything?

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9772
edited January 2019 in Guitar
So I must be getting old as I've got to the point where I'm favouring function over form, and I'm fed up of the problems I have when I try to get nice looking things.

So one of these problems is noise, don't know if it's static noise or grounding or whatever but I've always been plagued with it and my ears are very sensitive to it. It's happened across two houses and many guitars and pickups so I don't think I can fix it. The only two things I've found to work are my old wireless system which eats batteries, and Variax guitars.

I've had two 300s and a 500 and because of the piezo and modelling they are silent for background noise. They sounded utterly unremarkable but adequate. They were ugly as sin but aren't we all.

I wondered if there were any other ones like that which would also enable noiseless guitaring? 

The JTV 69 in blue or red would actually look nice enough if it weren't for the naff headstock, but as long as it's not the LP shaped one, the shiny PRS looking 600, or sunburst I'd put up with their ugliness if its the only option.  But I thought there may be other options you crazy cats know of... There's some pretty good niche knowledge here after all

Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    EMG pickups are probably the answer, and there are models to fit any standard Strat-type or humbucker pickup mounting. Many pros (eg David Gilmour) use them in their stage guitars for large venues with complex FX rigs because they eliminate noise problems. They also don't require the guitar strings to be grounded.

A lot of people do think they're 'sterile', but they're still an analogue pickup which is reproducing the string movement and not any kind of modelling.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited January 2019
    The USP of the Fishman Fluence series for me would be a vanishing noise floor.

Anyone using them?  Noticed they are stock on some of this year's NAMM goodies.
    edited January 2019
    And compared with a new Fender outing.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    I was gonna say Emg too. 

If you dont mind how they sound, they're silent as the grave, and the battery lasts me well over a year with moderatly regular playing. 

Not only that, the other bonus is they are practically built in buffers so cable lengh to pedal board isnt an issue.  

Not sure how they work going into a fuzz mind.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    edited January 2019
    Bardens? The set I had in my Tele were extremely good - even in pubs with shitty old siring that would have my other guitars making horrible noise they were dead silent.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    Line 6 G10 wireless. Cheap, sounds good, and charges on its own docking station, so no batteries. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Yeah EMG lots of types and noiseless, to be honest I don’t get the soulless sterile thing they sound different on their own but record with them or put them in live band they really sit well in a mix and seem to find there place live.

plus loads of non sterile players have used them in lots of types of music

I like the Variax for certain stuff and you could always go for the more recent Yamaha version built on a Pacifica base rather than the cranky Tyler designs or original line 6 shapes if you hate those
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Silly me yes I forgot the Emgs. I've had them before, the Tele set sounded adequate. I'm ok with sterile, my playing is quite sterile to be honest.

I had the Hetfield set (I'm still not sure who he is to be honest) in my DIY guitar and they were still notar but I think that's because of my wiring to the switch. The instructions on the website were incorrect, plus I had assumed that solderless pickups required no solder but they do to connect the switch!

However on my normal day to day instrument as long as I can use the humbucker ones with a tele switch I should be good to give that a go.

Will look at the other products though as well, cheers guys
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14459
    The EMG Stratocaster replacement models with rod magnet polepieces sound a bit more convincing than the earlier blade pole designs.

My favourites are the SL and SL-X "Steve Lukather" types, coupled with an EMG-SPC midrange booster.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Just a point about Fishman Fluences - they need grounding, and to get all of the switching options you will need to solder to the push pull pots or an additional switch.  They will work with EMG quick connect wiring though.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11917

you probably broke the link by editing the post?
    edited January 2019
    EMGs with the DG20 EQ, which is what Gilmour uses
    or with the BTS bass and treble controls, which I have on another strat - more predictable results

or 

a Fender VG strat. Not quite the same tone as coils but very close. Also does some other clever tones. I would assume a nicer instrument than the Variax
    edited January 2019

Thank you for pointing that out. I was so pleased when an image appeared at the 10th attempt, I forgot to check.   

Thank you for pointing that out. I was so pleased when an image appeared at the 10th attempt, I forgot to check.   

do you have the link for me then?
    ;-)
  • Editing seems to kill it. Working on forum for me now.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    The USP of the Fishman Fluence series for me would be a vanishing noise floor.

Anyone using them?  Noticed they are stock on some of this year's NAMM goodies.
    I was watching Greg Koch talk about his signature set. Quite interesting, as I think I understand it a magnet with what is effectively a PCB around it around  than wires. 
    Rechargeable battery with 300 hours life; if Greg says they sound like 50s Tele pickups without the noise he'd have a lot more idea than me. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • drippycatdrippycat Frets: 139
    I found the z coils on my G&L Comanche to be the quietest for recording with.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3577
    Not cheap, but uber-quiet and sound good. 
    https://lawingmusicalproducts.com

• There is the "Silent Circuit" system on the EBMM Cutlass. It requires a battery, but seems pretty effective.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited January 2019
    A solution that might be good for any electric guitar generating unwanted noise is the Electroharmonix Humdebugger. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)