Noiseless guitars (other than Variax) - is there anything?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11917
    no, when I say EMGs don't need grounding, they are designed to work noiselessly without grounding

EMGs should be fine, I think you had them before?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    and EMGs aren't "sterile", it's a myth
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9772
    edited January 2019
    I think Emgs were better but not perfect (especially not with my DIY sg but that's because I had to solder to the switch as I probably cocked it up), I don't touch strings all the time so if that's a requirement I need to go for Variax instead.

I don't care if they are sterile or not, my playing is pretty sterile
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    I think Emgs were better but not perfect (especially not with my DIY sg but that's because I had to solder to the switch as I probably cocked it up), I don't touch strings all the time so if that's a requirement I need to go for Variax instead.

you don't need to touch the strings on EMGs
    you do on many other passive pickup guitars
    edited January 2019

you don't need to touch the strings on EMGs
    you do on many other passive pickup guitars
    Sorry I think I misunderstood your post earlier, I thought that meant I'd still have to touch them to reduce the noise

I'm low wattage
  • If it's silver/chrome you are after, maybe the Lace Chrome Domes might work for you?
  • If it's silver/chrome you are after, maybe the Lace Chrome Domes might work for you?
    Would they be any less noisy than humbuckers though?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Having listened to the recordings I think you're just unusually sensitive to noise - as in being bothered by it, not physically - and it's much worse when you're not touching the guitar, which is normal.

As ToneControl said, EMGs do not require the strings to be grounded, and it's actually better not to - both for noise and safety reasons. This is another useful feature for players who use them on big stages, often outdoors.

The old Lace Sensors are passive and do need the strings grounding, although Im not sure about their new models.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Would they be any less noisy than humbuckers though?
    I don't notice any difference on my guitar. I don't like noise, hence the Lace Sensor/humbucker pairing, but it seems that you are maybe more sensitive to it than I am. EMGs sound like the answer, but they are possibly harder to find in the colour that you want. The Chrome Domes don't come up much, but from time-to-time I see them on ebay. Maybe grab one and give it a try; if you don't like it just re-flog it. You'll only probably lose the cost of postage.
    edited January 2019
    Blimey, I know I am quite sensitive to noises in general (is it called misophonia it something like that?)  but that is really loud?!?! I've never heard that much noise on any recording ever, surely that's not normal?

Re the lace sensors they would need to be quieter than humbuckers as the recordings above are humbuckers, so I don't think they'll work and I can't be bothered with the constant selling merry go round any more 
  • If I have time later I'll do a quick recording for you to hear the difference.
  • Here you go:

This was played direct into Amplitube (57 Deluxe model), then straight into a 24 bit recorder. The first two riffs are with the amp at 12 o'clock on both tone and vol. The first one is the Chrome Dome, and the second is an Oil City Blitz Spirit. You can hear a slight difference when I put my hand on the strings, but not much. The second two riffs are with both controls at full bore, and again the first of the two is the Lace, followed by the Blitz.