Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Help me make my love rock sound good !

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    ICBM said:

If it is one, Melvyn Hiscox - who used to be a member here for a while - wrote in his book about guitar-building that he thought the truss rod was a critical and often overlooked factor, because it alters the resonance of the whole neck, which is the most important part of the guitar for tone. Whether that's true or not I don't know either, but it's at least as likely as the glue or the finish...
    Gibson haven't always got the truss rod right though.  You had the whole issue of the sheath around the truss rod with them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    crunchman said:

Gibson haven't always got the truss rod right though.  You had the whole issue of the sheath around the truss rod with them.
    That depends on whether the sheath matters or if it's some other factor. The same people who complain about the sheath also think the long tenon matters, and it clearly doesn't because many Les Pauls with the 70s medium tenon and plenty with the short tenon sound fine too.

Maybe they just need a poorly-fitting neck joint with a 'resonance cavity' in it to sound right...

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

That depends on whether the sheath matters or if it's some other factor. The same people who complain about the sheath also think the long tenon matters, and it clearly doesn't because many Les Pauls with the 70s medium tenon and plenty with the short tenon sound fine too.

Maybe they just need a poorly-fitting neck joint with a 'resonance cavity' in it to sound right...

;)
    My R9 that I bought in the big frenzy a few months ago definitely souds livelier than the two previous Custom Shop Les Pauls I've had.  That may or may not be down to not having a sheath around the truss rod.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2019
    ICBM said:

I've actually thought something similar. Maybe Gibson's "faults" give them their sound. People do often say PRS are "sterile". 
    LastMantra said:

I've actually thought something similar. Maybe Gibson's "faults" give them their sound. People do often say PRS are "sterile". 
    I was only half-joking. In my opinion Fenders sound better with a thin card or fibreboard shim in the neck pocket too, despite conventional wisdom that shims 'harm the vibration transfer', and that if you need to use one to get the angle right then a 'proper' tapered wood wedge is better. I don't think so...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    A good Les Paul sounds like a Telecaster on steroids imho, very resonant and.lively. The good ones are made up of small details, neck/bridge/headstock angle, lightweight hardware, articulate unpotted pickups  decent cured woods and nitro finishes etc, really a case of the Sum of its Parts 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    LastMantra said:

I was only half-joking. In my opinion Fenders sound better with a thin card or fibreboard shim in the neck pocket too, despite conventional wisdom that shims 'harm the vibration transfer', and that if you need to use one to get the angle right then a 'proper' tapered wood wedge is better. I don't think so...
    I agree but I wonder how much of this is related to break angle of the strings.

I’ve shimmed almost every bolt on guitar I’ve had, unless it wouldn’t have it (eg saddles already fairly high).
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6137
    edited January 2019
    ICBM said:
    Sell it and buy a Gibson Les Paul Studio.

You've just found what I have with every supposed ‘Gibson killer’ copy I’ve ever played - they just don’t sound as good as a good Gibson.

Of course the next problem is finding a good Gibson . Although to be fair, they’re more common than often thought...
    Sorry @ICBM but that's such a crock.

The top end Japanese Tokai's sound gorgeous and their QC (for the price) puts Gibson to shame.
    I made the mistake of putting some OX4 pickups in mine under the delusion that they would improve an already great guitar..

Wrong! on all counts.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    equalsql said:

Sorry @ICBM but that's such a crock.

The top end Japanese Tokai's sound gorgeous and their QC (for the price) puts Gibson to shame.
    QC is irrelevant - PRS's puts Gibson to shame too, but a PRS SC doesn't sound like a Les Paul.

You happen to like your Tokai, which is fine. I prefer Gibsons. I actually prefer most Norlin Les Pauls to modern ones too - because they usually sound better, despite some notoriously poor QC and design changes - and I know that isn't a popular opinion.

Hence why I recommended that riffpowers sells his Tokai to someone who likes them, and buys a Gibson - two people win.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Check the pots, are they 300k?  If so change them to 500k.  Big difference in clarity, per other thread on pots :)
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I’ve had a navigator 56ri and still have a tokai 1980 ls-120 that are both a good bit better than any gibson I’ve played apart from my 2017 r8 & even that may be the honeymoon period. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    sweepy said:
    A good Les Paul sounds like a Telecaster on steroids imho, very resonant and.lively. The good ones are made up of small details, neck/bridge/headstock angle, lightweight hardware, articulate unpotted pickups  decent cured woods and nitro finishes etc, really a case of the Sum of its Parts 
    Definitely this... I’ve always thought that a Tele is a Les Paul for Fender lovers....  :)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    The neck construction is a massive part of tone imo, i can't say if a traditional truss rod is much better but that's what i use, I'm always of the opinion if it ain't broke, i originally built with modern rods but stopped along time ago

I think weight has something to do with a good LP tone but even that's subjective, i know what i like and it's not that thick toned sound most seem to like but more towards the tele type tone like some vintage ones I've played, around 9lb or just under seems to give a good balance for what i want

It's a pretty simple formula Mahogany body  Maple cap nearly 15mm thick and nice mahogany neck, as long as it's all well seasoned it should be good

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • John_A said:
    Bought my 1979 Tokai LS80 12 years ago, had 3 Gibson’s at the time, all of which have gone, and bought and sold another 4 since including a R8, and the Tokai is still here.  IMO it’s a better guitar than any Gibson I’ve played.
    Mines just an ls60 but t’s a great quality guitar that plays great , stays in tune and hangs just right on the strap so it’s ideal for gigging . Just wish it sounded more dynamic and lively .
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719
    ICBM said:

I don't disagree with that - Gibson do make some real howlers - but I've still never played one single copy that sounds as good as a *good* Gibson.
    Isn't Gil Yaron currently recognised as one of the the best Les Paul makers out there?

And what about Kris Derrig's LP Slash used for Appetite for Destruction? Pretty seminal Les Paul tone for a copy.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    soma1975 said:

Isn't Gil Yaron currently recognised as one of the the best Les Paul makers out there?
    I've never played one of his so I can't comment.

soma1975 said:

And what about Kris Derrig's LP Slash used for Appetite for Destruction? Pretty seminal Les Paul tone for a copy.
    Mosquito through a transistor radio tone? Hmmm...

[Flame suit now on :).]

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Probably sold more Les Pauls than any other album. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I have those exact pups in my V100 copy and it sounds good to me, quite bright and lively

I have the 1970s dimarzio equivalents in my R8 which are a slightly lower wind. It's a better sounding guitar, more mellow and more body despite the pups being brighter

I'd get a 50s style harness in if I were you, 500k pots
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    Bought my 1979 Tokai LS80 12 years ago, had 3 Gibson’s at the time, all of which have gone, and bought and sold another 4 since including a R8, and the Tokai is still here.  IMO it’s a better guitar than any Gibson I’ve played.
    Mines just an ls60 but t’s a great quality guitar that plays great , stays in tune and hangs just right on the strap so it’s ideal for gigging . Just wish it sounded more dynamic and lively .
    Like others have said, some slightly less hot pickups may help, my personal faves are Deacci’s but there are a lot of good ones out there, contrary to trend .i really don’t like Ox4’s
    I think the thing with OX4s is that they are articulate / bright and possibly a bit more vintage PAF 'correct' than a lot of their peers. In my experience they reward making use of the vol/tone controls but for players who leave everything on full they can be a bit too bright without taming. I think possibly something like their Beano set might tame them a bit.