Could this be the next big thing in guitars?

What's Hot
drippycatdrippycat Frets: 139
I was checking out the announcements from NAMM and the one that grabbed my attention was this bit of software - https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_ReGuitar/ . It's not out yet but the idea of modelling the pickups as well as the amp made me as giggly and excited as when I sat next to Matt Goss on a bus until he got off at the dole office.

The software I've linked to is a nice idea. It's not that different to a Variax but instead of having to get the guitar to get the technology, you can use your favourite guitar and just process it. Oo yes!

But the idea which really floated my boat was this: If you can profile an amp a la Kemper, what obstacles are there to profiling guitars? How different would the process have to be? And if you could do that, how long would it be before you can buy packs of different guitars. And even more intriguingly, at what point will you be able to buy profiles of famous guitar, i.e. Blackie/Lucille/an Angus Young/Iommi SG or the entire collection of Jimmy Page guitars? And how much will people complain that the technology is rubbish because they sound nothing like their heroes?

Any thoughts?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    edited January 2019
    I remember there was a system in the 90s (?) an effects floorboard that did this kind of thing. You could virtually place pickups in different places and make other drastic changes. I remember it costs 1000s and I've no idea if it was any good. I just remember seeing it in Guitar Magazine at the time. 

The new Fender Acoustisonics have some guitar modelling in, they've profiled various acoustic guitars that you can blend together.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I remember there was a system in the 90s (?) an effects floorboard that did this kind of thing. You could virtually place pickups in different places and make other drastic changes. I remember it costs 1000s and I've no idea if it was any good. I just remember seeing it in Guitar Magazine at the time. 

The new Fender Acoustisonics have some guitar modelling in, they've profiled various acoustic guitars that you can blend together.
    Was that a Roland thing? I have vague memories  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTee said:

Was that a Roland thing? I have vague memories  
    Not sure. I just remember it being this big angular silver wedge of something I'd never be able to afford.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited January 2019
    The Roland VG8 with the hex pickup claimed to do some of that.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7151
    I spoke to them the other day about this software and it isn't out till later in the year. I'm hoping to try it out sometime soon.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• The Roland VG8 with the hex pickup claimed to do some of that.
    Got a mate who still uses his for gigs and says it’s the best thing he ever bought
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Doesn't the Line 6 Variax already do this with a very solid proven heritage
  • The Roland VG8 with the hex pickup claimed to do some of that.
    That's the bugger .

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Is nothing sacred
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Could well be an interesting and useful way to manipulate the tone of a recorded guitar.

I personally wouldn't hold my breath about it actually making it sound like a different pickup was used but admittedly I'm just guessing with that doubt.

Same with the Variax guitars - never actually tested them but just always kind of assumed they won't get that close to completely different pickups.

Isn't it the case that some pickups will pick up frequencies that others won't? If so, how does the software create those missing frequencies, by generating them from harmonics maybe or making some kind of educated guess at what they would sound like?

Hope I'm wrong though - would love to see technology advance as much as it can. I can't even imagine how much worse a home studio, or even practising at home, must have been before amp modelling got so great. E.g. I sit every night with headphones on playing with such beautiful subtle tones in the wee hours of the morning with a sleeping baby undisturbed in the next room. Before modelling I could have still plugged headphones in to the amp but it wouldn't sound anything like the amp in the room which it does with the IR and modelling.

Maybe this technology will take off and, just like people now have one modelling box instead of many different amps, they'll have one guitar they like the feel of and it can sound like any guitar they want the tone of!
  • I have a katana amp and in that there is a guitar sim for eg Single to Humbucker etc

I think it's a cool idea if you're on a budget/space/just don't want lots of guitars but I think things like that for me become too picky. Set up tones/channels on an amp and plug in for me.

My thinking is want a Les Paul? Buy a Les paul rather than modeling a Tele etc to sound like it but I see the appeal it will have to others and it would be cool to see how it works.
    Thanks for the post :)
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    The answer is, of course, no.

If this kind of technology really was the future we'd all be playing a Line 6 Variax. 

Look at people who really make a living from music - they use what works for them. Do AC/DC care about tweaking their sound? Of course not, they've found a sound that works and hate anyone tinkering with their setup. If you worked at a taxi rank would you rush to get the latest in car technology or buy a Skoda Octavia/Toyota Avensis
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    It’ll be the next big thing people spend and lose a lot of money on 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    What is real?
    How do you define 'real'?
    If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.

You have to let it all go, Neo.
    Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind.

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    They are all wearing new clothes... 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Now this would be interesting as a floor stomp FX pedal! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Will it appeal to middle aged blokes playing “authentic” blues at home?

No.

So therefore it’s of no interest to “anyone”

Sheesh....
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    It's something else to buy, at least.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2957
    Foster said:
    The answer is, of course, no.

If this kind of technology really was the future we'd all be playing a Line 6 Variax. 

If you worked at a taxi rank would you rush to get the latest in car technology or buy a Skoda Octavia/Toyota Avensis
    Maybe you'd be buying one of these:

I'm seeing a lot of 'hi tech' taxis in London these days.

One big difference between this and the Variax is that the latter requires you to play a particular guitar. Most of us want to play a different particular guitar, or even a variety of guitars, so this limits the appeal of the Variax. Whereas this technology still allows you to use the bit that really interests most of us - the guitars we like.
  • impmann said:
    Will it appeal to middle aged blokes playing “authentic” blues at home?

No.

So therefore it’s of no interest to “anyone”

Sheesh....
    Wooo ho ho there cowboy

You forgot rock blues and Delta blues :-p
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.