Does anyone stick to just one type of guitar?

What's Hot
Has anyone made a conscious decision to use just one type of guitar? By that, I mean, only s-types, t-types, LP or something else. Not necessarily brand specific.

If so, do you ever feel you are missing out, can you do everything you want to on that type of guitar?

I have a feeling I am really only interested in one type of guitar and am trying to figure out why I can't just let go of other types.  I think I would be happier.

This has partly been inspired by the de-cluttering thread and that lady on Netflix
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Usually always been a Les Paul or a Strat/Tele player, hence the username lol. Have played PRS's and they feel nice. Never played a 335 or Jackson metal type guitars. I really ought to though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5279
    always seem to come back to telecaster or variations of...does the trick for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgaw said:
    always seem to come back to telecaster or variations of...does the trick for me
    Me too. It just feels "right". I have an Esquire & a Shiflett one & can cover a LOT of ground with them. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2586
    I have a few different types of guitar, however all my favourite guitarists play just the one. My only excuse for having more than one is that I use different tunings.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6877
    I’ve found I tend to mainly play black guitars, they make me look slimmer.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
  • I’m a one brand player. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3219
    edited January 2019
    I do go through phases of having several of one thing and not picking anything else up but fortunately it never lasts long. Variety is the guitar spice of life, isn’t it?
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    Nope - I play whatever I feel like picking up on a day.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited January 2019
    I've got a few different types, but I only use my HSS Strat for gigs, and could probably do almost everything I need with that guitar.

It's not a competition.
  • I've only really got two types of guitar that I play...the Jaden Rose Teles (driftwood and lightweight) for live stuff, and the Nuno-type ones (the green N4 and the hardtail N4-alike I built) for fun noodling at home.

I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, to be honest. I've owned loads of guitars and played even more, and I know what I like - which is what I've got. My nightmare is if one of them gets wrecked or nicked - it's very hard to get hold of N4s with the exact specs of mine and Jaden's not making guitars any more, so they're essentially irreplaceable.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

I have bought and sold almost every type of solid body guitar there is over the years, but when I take a look at what they have distilled down to, I find I mostly have superstrats.

So it's not me consciously deciding to stick to one shape, it's just that one shape always finds its way to me...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m a Les Paul man generally, because I like their sound and comfort wise they suit me best. That said, I also like Teles to a point.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    edited January 2019
    Yep, PRS McCarty derivatives are all I play. They do everything I want and feel "right" for me when playing.

I don't miss other types or pine for them in any way. I've worked out what suits me and I've stuck with it.
  • ive got les paul, strat and tele guitars but whichever one i happen to be playing im always thinking id be better off playing a different one.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had numerous strats, LPs, 335s and all their variations/copies but I always come back to playing a tele.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Anything as long as it's got single-coils.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    And this question goes to number 3, Scott Gorham.
    Me I have lived with one guitar but prefer having the classics because- they are classics. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Interesting thread. I’ve got a range of guitars, bought for different purposes. With the current band I only use Telecaster derivatives because the sound, and the way you hold them, suit what we do.

I’m a believer in sticking with a limited number of instruments. You learn their nuances. If I'm constantly changing fretboard radius, scale length, body shape, neck position etc then I’m not going to know the instrument so well, and my playing is going to gravitate to a safe average.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    I have a 335, Les Paul and a Tele but I always have this nagging feeling I’m missing a Strat. So I buy a Strat and then inevitably sell it 6 months later, only to repeat the cycle again every few years. I feel I’m trapped in this prison for life.