Does anyone stick to just one type of guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Mainly Strats, but anything Fender normally does it (I have a Tele and a Jagmaster).

Occasionally I bust out my Gretsch, but that's it.

I'm afraid I'm not that adventurous!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    Nope for same reason I don't eat only cheese. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Is two sides to this Q:

You may only buy/own one style, or you may have a cross selection but only ever play one style.

In recent times, I navigated from a long time Strat, to a custom Tele to a PRS P90 and latterly a LP DC Jr and for less driven work a Hofner Archtop. This means that my 335 and Yam SG2000 and LP (and another Tele) don't get much of a look in.

I want one of these next though so shooting right out the box; I hope it would find a daily application though:

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

The only one that is a little further away is an Ibanez S521 - but that's still a two humbucker guitar.

I don't have a single thing with single coils.

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Every electric guitar I own is a double cut. All but one has humbuckers and I don't like that one much.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I've always had a Strat (same guitar for 30 odd years), but recently bought a Tele to play slide. It's tuned to open E and has a raised action and heavier gauge strings, but that's the only reason I bought it.
  • skayskay Frets: 394
    I have a few of the classics to ‘cover all the bases’, but after fiddling about with the guitar, amp and pedals trying to get it to sound like a Tele, I usually give in and just plug in my Nocaster. 

Might as well only have one guitar, but the others remind me just how much I love it!

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    I only played Rickenbackers for about 25 years, then started to sell my obscene record collection, had spare cash......11 more guitars later.....you know the story. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    kt66 said:
    I only played Rickenbackers for about 25 years, then started to sell my obscene record collection, had spare cash......11 more guitars later.....you know the story. 
    My problem is that they would still all be Rickenbackers :).

And CDs aren't worth much second hand these days...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I stuck with a Strat for 23 years because it sounded great. Trouble was, it played like a pig. In 95 I swapped it for a Jackson Soloist with single coils. Sounded nearly as good, but played properly. Stuck with that for 17 years.

But now I have a collection of all sorts....
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • LogieLogie Frets: 443
    My HSS Strat is the one I always gravitate to even though I love Les Paul's and most of the music I like feature Les Paul players. I've got a cracking Lester but it sits under the bed most days while my Strat and tele get the luurve. I'm obviously a Fender guy at heart and Strats in particular.
  • No. I keep a variety of guitars (many of them Gibsons or derivatives) but I also keep a Strat and a variety of acoustics.  get on best with the Gibbos and those that are very much like Gibbos.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited January 2019
    I’ve gone 6 months without a strat but caved today and ordered a CS at discount price. I find strats pretty unforgiving and that’s why they’ve come and gone, but nothing else is a substitute for that unique blues tone.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Generally anything Gibson style - 24.75" scale, TOM bridge, mahogany. If I didn't already have the SG I'd have a Les Paul or LTD/ESP Eclipse.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1949
    Les Pauls and Superstrats
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3325
    I’ve owned at one point most styles and brands but I tend to keep the more fender like guitars the longest. 

Currently  I only have a musicman Sub one with a single bridge humbucker and I don’t find I’m missing much. I play simple rhythm stuff and like to chug out riffs so horses for courses really. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I've thought before it might be nice to stick to one guitar and really get to know all the tiny subtleties of it etc. But I immediately miss the tones other guitars offer, I like to switch between guitars regularly like a golfer switching clubs.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    I tend to stick with right handed 6 string guitars. 
  • Jazzmasters (and derivatives thereof).
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Hick81 said:
    I have a 335, Les Paul and a Tele but I always have this nagging feeling I’m missing a Strat. So I buy a Strat and then inevitably sell it 6 months later, only to repeat the cycle again every few years. I feel I’m trapped in this prison for life. 
    I’m glad it’s not just me - this is almost my exact experience except I have a Guild M75 instead of a 335. I buy a Strat, use it for a while and later swear off Strats forever, only to start hankering after one again a few weeks later.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here