Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Yngwie plays the blues....

What's Hot

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    edited February 2019
    This just popped up on my instagram feed. 

Love the text!

https://imgur.com/a/Sqo9oYt

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He’s not at home when Mr Modesty comes knocking. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6725
    I can't leave the TGP thread on this alone. Some people properly are all

about him...
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6725
    prlgmnr said:
    Why don't you see Thora Birch in anything anymore, is the real question here.

Wasn’t her dad a pervy weirdo that used to chaperone her and try to direct her sex scenes in films and stuff? 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited February 2019
    Gary Moore was a superb player but IMO he was playing the rocker's approach to blues. I remember hearing some of the second "blues" album on the radio, although I'd missed it being introduced, and thinking That sounds like Gary Moore but I hope it isn't ... turned out that it was. GM certainly played rock (and jazz-rock) with great taste and I'll never knock him for that, but I can't accept his "blues" albums as either blues or as good representations of his musical achievements. He has done far better.

If my opinion strikes you as being heresy, then take a few breaths, put the album on and enjoy it and maybe you'll forget about lighting the bonfire or sharpening the pitchfork. You might want to post on here though about what an awful specimen I am for holding such heretical views.
    GM did have a rockier aproach to the blues and, a bit like Walter Trout, it was his signature approach to the genre. Make no mistake, he was a MONSTER blues player.

https://youtu.be/VVOwCBScxw0
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw Malmsteen at the height of his success at the Hammersmith Odeon around '87. I remember enjoying it at the time though I have no desire to listen to him now.
    On the other hand, worst gig I've been to was Gary Moore at The Colston Hall. I think it was the 'Back To The Blues' tour.
    God it was the most appaulling display of over the top, tasteless blues mangling I've had the misfortune to witness,
    Never again.............
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    SidNewton said:
    I saw Malmsteen at the height of his success at the Hammersmith Odeon around '87. I remember enjoying it at the time though I have no desire to listen to him now.
    On the other hand, worst gig I've been to was Gary Moore at The Colston Hall. I think it was the 'Back To The Blues' tour.
    God it was the most appaulling display of over the top, tasteless blues mangling I've had the misfortune to witness,
    Never again.............
    Gary Moore was you’re worst ever gig? Wow.
  • SidNewton said:
    I saw Malmsteen at the height of his success at the Hammersmith Odeon around '87...
    Was that the gig where he tried and kept failing to set fire to his Strat, which was a great Spinal Tap moment? If so, I was at that one.

It's not a competition.
  • SidNewton said:
    I saw Malmsteen at the height of his success at the Hammersmith Odeon around '87...
    Was that the gig where he tried and kept failing to set fire to his Strat, which was a great Spinal Tap moment? If so, I was at that one.

Can't recall that but then again it was a long time ago. I think it was the Odyssey tour which, having just checked, was '88.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Appalling.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    Its a funny old world when rob chapman can successfully top the blues charts. (Again I'm not a chapman fan)

And yet yngwie, who lets be honest redefined the electric guitar for a generation of guitarists pisses it up the wall. If you were a betting man ten years ago you would have put money on yngwie. I mean surely everybody has to slow down at some point? I'm not a yngwie fan, but he does make me smile. 
    My old guitar teacher interviewed himover the phone for total guitar. He said he was incredibly arrogant and full of himself...the interview carried on and then abruptly ended..yngwie rushed off of the phone because one of his pet ferrets had escaped and was swimming around in his pool. 
    Ferrets are obviously the rock and roll pet of choice!

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • peteri said:
    This just popped up on my instagram feed. 

Love the text!

https://imgur.com/a/Sqo9oYt

One thing I’d never associate with Yngwie is a vast musical spectrum. He’s the guitar equivalent of a dumper truck full of piss - he’ll come along and drown the song in nothing but fast, neoclassical triplets. I’ll always remember him doing this to Rocking In The Free World on the G3 DVD...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22999
    I've been waiting all day to watch that Yngwie video.  I don't know about blues, but it sounds like an unprepared Frank Marino stumbling into a studio after an ill-advised 48-hour bender.

And @horse thanks for reminding me I must get Ghost World on Blu-ray.
  • SidNewton said:
    I saw Malmsteen at the height of his success at the Hammersmith Odeon around '87. I remember enjoying it at the time though I have no desire to listen to him now.
    Never again.............
    ...until now 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• I have never been a fan of Malmsteen, but part if me is glad he is still out there, still holding on to his way of doing things.

Those lyrics really do hurt, though. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    I have never been a fan of Malmsteen, but part if me is glad he is still out there, still holding on to his way of doing things.

Those lyrics really do hurt, though. 
    Come on have a heart! He's down to his last three Ferraris!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Wow. Just seen this. That's the worst thing I've seen since I accidentally caught sight of the screen during my colonoscopy. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    I accidentally caught sight of the screen during my colonoscopy. 
    I believe that's the opening lyric to track 3 on the album.....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One thing I’d never associate with Yngwie is a vast musical spectrum. He’s the guitar equivalent of a dumper truck full of piss - he’ll come along and drown the song in nothing but fast, neoclassical triplets. I’ll always remember him doing this to Rocking In The Free World on the G3 DVD...
    Yep. For me it was a cover of Aerosmith's "Dream On", mauled by endless squiddly-diddles that put me off Yngwie.

Don't get me wrong, if I could play as fast and clean and exciting as him I'd want to do it all day every day too, but I'd like to think I'd have the good taste to slow down every so often.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3991
    Lewy said:
    I accidentally caught sight of the screen during my colonoscopy. 
    I believe that's the opening lyric to track 3 on the album.....
    I woke up this morning.

Camera up my arse.

So I shut my eyes tight.

And thought of driving my cars.

(This stuff writes itself, people).
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom