Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your favourite overdrive pedal ever......

What's Hot

Comments

• Joking aside, I think this is too broad a question. Within overdrive there are so many sub categories, if you look on Reverb they have nearly 400 used overdrive pedals, with the next closest section being delay at like 130!

Personal favourites are

Klon Style: Arc Effects Klone

Dumble: Van Weeldon Royal Overdrive

TS: Zendrive or Paisley Drive

Tube Based: Kingsley Jester

Dual: King of Tone or Wampler Hotwired v1.5

The problem is I could happily have one of each of these pedals on a board and still feel like I needed more!! (it's why I'm sticking to acoustic guitar)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I'm a big fan of the Arion SOD-1. Two types of drive annd mix in clean with it into two chanels if you want, but I use the 'soft' drive option exclusively for lead work. I have a BOSS OD-3 for some tones and another big favourith the Blackstar HT-Drive.
    If I only had one it would be the Arion though (actually I have two, one for the rehearsal ).
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Kebabkid said:
    jeztone2 said:
    For driving an amp: My Monte Allums modded Boss SD-1 that got stolen in 2016 Grrrr! Or the TC Mojo Mojo.
     For amp in a box goodness: Marshall Guv'nor Mk1/ Marshall Drivemaster, Goosoniqueworx 7thvn, JHS @. ;;
    Having heard your Goosoniqueworx, I'm surprised more people haven't got these
    I think it's because he only made them for a year or so, then he ran out of parts. I believe he's working on a MK3 version. But it was all NOS parts, so difficult. Also they have no famous players outside of Singapore. I'm sure if John Mayer buys one, they'll be £1800 on EBay! 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
    preston61 said:

Joking aside, I think this is too broad a question. Within overdrive there are so many sub categories, if you look on Reverb they have nearly 400 used overdrive pedals, with the next closest section being delay at like 130!

Personal favourites are

Klon Style: Arc Effects Klone

Dumble: Van Weeldon Royal Overdrive

TS: Zendrive or Paisley Drive

Tube Based: Kingsley Jester

Dual: King of Tone or Wampler Hotwired v1.5

The problem is I could happily have one of each of these pedals on a board and still feel like I needed more!! (it's why I'm sticking to acoustic guitar)

eh? Zendrive ...TS based?
    tae be or not tae be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72385
    hootsmon said:

eh? Zendrive ...TS based?
    The Zendrive is essentially a TS with Rat filtering, just like the Timmy. There's a little more to it than that in terms of component types and values, but those are the basic building blocks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Both the Timmy and the Zendrive are derived from the TS......? two of the most loved pedals on the planet! Hmmm i wonder if they know that over at TGP   :)
    tae be or not tae be
    tae be or not tae be
  • Revivaldrive. 

Before this, I was always ultimately disinterested  with the various (about 7 or 8 )  high end overdrives  I had tried.
    hootsmon said:
    Both the Timmy and the Zendrive are derived from the TS......? two of the most loved pedals on the planet! Hmmm i wonder if they know that over at TGP   :)
    Three-quarters of the most-loved pedals on the planet are derived from the TS :). Some a lot more closely than these two.

The real question I've always wanted to know the answer to is whether the Timmy or the Zendrive came first...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mr_airmr_air Frets: 24
    MI Audio Crossover Drive - Really uninspirring to look at, but really great drive tones from a bit of hair to almost fuzz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    hootsmon said:
    Three-quarters of the most-loved pedals on the planet are derived from the TS :). Some a lot more closely than these two.

The real question I've always wanted to know the answer to is whether the Timmy or the Zendrive came first...
    I certainly heard about the Zendrive long before the Timmy, but given that the Zendrive's reputation is built in part on Robben Ford's almost-endorsement and the Timmy's is pretty much all word of mouth that wouldn’t be surprising.

Having had a bit of a Google it looks like the Zendrive was launched in 2003, the Timmy in 2004, although neither date is very precise.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Builder_Profile_Hermida_Audio_Technology

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/looking-for-history-on-my-timmy-pedal.1884380/

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Regardless of lineage, it's worth saying that to my ears the Zendrive doesn't actually sound much like a Tubescreamer (I haven't tried a Timmy). It’s in the same ballpark of low-to-mid gain "smooth" overdrive, but I think most guitarists who played both back to back would spot the difference easily.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Regardless of lineage, it's worth saying that to my ears the Zendrive doesn't actually sound much like a Tubescreamer (I haven't tried a Timmy). It’s in the same ballpark of low-to-mid gain "smooth" overdrive, but I think most guitarists who played both back to back would spot the difference easily.
    That's because the clipping components and most of the component values are different - however, the circuit topology is identical. It's quite hard to believe that it's a coincidence.

The original Tim was out for some time before the Timmy too, if I remember rightly.

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Sparkle Drive. Aptly named pedal that did wonders for my Classic 30.
    dilbert said:
    This shows more than anything how personal and subjective overdrive is... that's probably the worst-sounding overdrive pedal I've ever tried. It only sounded any good with the clean blend turned off, and then it was just like an average-at-best Tube Screamer.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dilbert said:
    This is so TDPRI, do you also own a blonde telecaster and 1 Redd Volkaert CD :)
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    ICBM said:
    dilbert said:
    This shows more than anything how personal and subjective overdrive is... 
    I'm not sure, I believe that what you play it through and indeed with, has as much bearing as the player. I was totally underwhelmed by a Barber Direct Drive until I tried it though a HRD. Still not totally bowled over but I'm getting to like it.   
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    edited February 2019
    EHX Germanium 4 muff for me. Cheating a bit as it is a double sided jobber I spose, but it is everything in one box. More pedals should have bias and voltage knobs. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6130
    edited February 2019
    I've never tried the actual real pedal, but if the modeling of the kowloon walled bunny on the Helix is up to muster then the KWB is a crackin' overdrive pedal.

http://www.benadrian.com/pedals/kwb.html
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Carl Martin DC-Drive

Might be the only time you see that mentioned on here