Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

John at Peach's Pick No.3 The PRS DGT

What's Hot
John sums up the PRS DGT perfectly here and demonstrates the range of tones from full on throaty humbucker bluesy snarl to a clipped cleaner Fendery Strat/Tele tone with the flick of the toggle switch on the same amp settings. I have a DGT and it's taken a while to really start to bond with it but starting to really enjoy lately:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Not a fan of Goldtops but that looks and sounds like a great guitar .. another finish for me I think.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Another vote for the DGT, its been my main squeeze since i got it a few years back.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Show us your DGTs...here's mine, Charcoal Jadeburst, natural back, 7lbs light 

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    Great guitars but the control layout just grates with me :(
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7502
    Mine is a gold/ dots and is the best all round electric I own 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited February 2019
    sweepy said:
    Great guitars but the control layout just grates with me
    It does take a little while to get used to but I soon adjusted. Having the ability to set the neck on a cleanish and bridge of full like in the video is well worth it, as is the ability to do the toggle switch stutter with neck on zero vol and bridge on full into a feedbacking amp like on the end of Sex Pistols track 'Seventeen' is well worth it!

Apart from the volumes being switched, it's the same layout as a Gibson Explorer and Flying V

• Fretwired said:
    Not a fan of Goldtops but that looks and sounds like a great guitar .. another finish for me I think.
    They only belong on a Les Paul
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I'm with @sweepy but I also hate the dual volumes on a Gibson :)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    I think the PRS Brent Mason does exactly the same job but somewhat better (certainly more flexible )
  • It's the only PRS I'd really consider. If they did one in a blacktop finish I'd be seriously tempted.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • They are about in blacktop. @TTony had one that I had a go on once. It was amazing to play. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited February 2019
    Rob Harris from Jamiroquai uses a black top one (older model).

I've had mine since Christmas and I'm still getting used to the switching but it's all there and a fabulous guitar.

I've had a few PRS guitars over the years and a lot of the other guitarists I've played with have been PRS users and I've had access to different models. However, the DGT is the one that sits really well with me for feel, sounds and look.

Here's mine

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited February 2019
    @Kebabkid  - that's really nice, The DGT feels a bit different to other PRS doesn't it? The jumbo frets and neck shape all add to the experience. The neck reminds me of a good Strat or Tele, not too slim and not too chunky but the tone can be all vintage Gibson with the tone dialled back a bit through a cooking amp.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited February 2019
    It does @RandallFlagg - I like superstrats and versatile guitars rather than having a dedicated Strat, Tele & LP. To me, this feels like the most versatile LP with a Tele in reserve.

I normally use 9.5s and depending on the guitar and tension, occasionally 10s. However, I'm loving the 11s on this and it's not difficult to play or bend.

It's such a big sounding guitar without taking over.
    Fretwired said:
    They only belong on a Les Paul
    Exactly, have a wis. I think they look odd on a PRS.

Show us your DGTs...here's mine, Charcoal Jadeburst, natural back, 7lbs light 

I like that .. cool finish.

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    That finish is really special, but I'd rather have a Superstrat or a Les Paul. PRS are built flawlessly, but the tops are a bit too much and I can never quite get the tone I'm after. It's a bit like G&Ls MFDs, where I'm almost there and then switch back to their alnicos for that happy place. 
  • @StefB nice one, Marc at Coda offered that one to me just as it came into store before it was listed on the Coda website, I love these natural backs, make's them look really classy!

• I’d love one of these, birds and the black/gold finish.