Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

John at Peach's Pick No.3 The PRS DGT

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I love the fact they come set up with 11s. Every time i think about selling i play it.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTap said:
    I love the fact they come set up with 11s. Every time i think about selling i play it.
    Yes I've kept with .011s on mine, it feels really good under the fingers, and gives a really bold strident acoustic ring with the 5 trem springs.

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    @StefB nice one, Marc at Coda offered that one to me just as it came into store before it was listed on the Coda website, I love these natural backs, make's them look really classy!
    Absolutely. Said Marc did me a stonking deal on it too, love those guys!
  • If you break a string and have the trem set to floating ie, without all the springs screwed down right, does it go out of tune like the strat? Don't use trem on mine for that reason, but maybe should do.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5388
    edited February 2019
    OK, the hopefully not $64,000 question - what is a realistic price range to expect to find DGTs going for second-hand?

I'm facing a significant birthday this year* and was winding myself up to a DGT, but then thought "I can't justify dropping £3-4k on a guitar" and was ramping down to something <£1k or possibly just nothing at all. But this thread has re-awoken DGT lust.

From looking around it seems that there's no way you get away with much less than £1.7k and that most are going to be considerably higher than that. Is that reasonable, or am I just not looking hard enough?

What I don't want to do is pop over to Coda and play one, fall in love, and then have to talk myself out of it because of the budget

*Although really they're all significant, indicating as they do that you're still here
  • You’ll get one for £1450-£1650 no problem.

I paid less for mine on here recently because 1)it’s here 2)it had some dings and a non PRS case.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I paid 1500 for mine, minus hang tag and with a few scuffs on. Nothing horrendous, just not a complete case queen. I would expect mine's worth 1300 now, and that's an 09 10 top.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Hell of a price drop from new. Can't imagine buying new. 
  • I gotta say that I don’t really need any more guitars but I really fancy one of these...
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited February 2019
    They are about in blacktop. @TTony had one that I had a go on once. It was amazing to play. 
    That was one of my old ones. Lovely guitar.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2890
    Wouldn’t mind a black satin version.  
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2205
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited February 2019
    One slight criticism I have is the push/pull coil tap, when pulled up it feels and looks odd having the tone knob floating above the body slightly, I think I would have preferrd a mini switch like on a Paul's Guitar. Also, I question the value of the coil tap feature anyway, as with the volume rolled back and the treble bleed caps keeping the tone bright you get a very usable and easier to get to thinner cleaner tone anyway.

But having said that, if you don't use the coil tap you never know it's there anyway, so no big deal at all. One thing I note is that the push/pull pot PRS use is very good quality and feels exactly like a regular PRS tone pot and sits at exactly the same height off the body when not engaged as the volume pots. This wasn't the case with a Huber Krautster II I owned a while back, the push/pull on that had a very loose and sloppy turn to it and sat higher off the body that the volume pot before you even engaged it, which felt like poor parts selection by Nik Huber to me and marred the experience of what itself is an expensive high end guitar with a fantastic neck.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460

I had a DGT for a few years.  Of the "Core" US PRS (6 of them) I've owned it was easily the best, and the last one I sold.

I really like the dual volume controls. It gives so much more flexibility and variety of sounds in the in between position.

If I could only have one electric guitar, it might well be a DGT because of the versatility, but ultimately it didn't sound as good as a good Les Paul, or Strat/Tele.

I've found all the PRS that I had with the big thick maple cap to be slightly lacking tonally.  The maple cap on the Core PRS is very thick in the middle where the bridge anchors.  I've come to the conclusion that that has a detrimental effect on tone.  I never owned one, but I've played a few PRS Standards (all mahogany body with no maple cap) and they consistently sounded a lot better than the equivalent Custom with the maple cap.  I've got an S2 Singlecut Satin now with an all mahogany body, and I prefer it to any of the Core series I've had in the past.   I did see a DGT Standard advertised second hand recently.  Can't remember where - might have been in the classifieds on here.  I would like to try one of those. I think they have been discontinued though, so they are quite hard to find.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4716

Nothing else to add
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.