Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dua Lipa Rig Rundown

What's Hot

Comments

• It makes me laugh but 5 minutes is more than enough
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72404
    ArenaCorner said:

I'll come forward and admit that I play the Billy Cardigan character. I'm sorry this seems so universally unappealing to thefretboard. How can I do better?
    By treating the band as serious musicians doing a skilled professional job - not patronising them apparently on the basis that Dua Lipa is a 'pop singer' with an attempt at comedy aimed at her average audience age, perhaps...

Would you have interviewed Nuno Bettencourt in the same way when he was touring with Rihanna?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    ArenaCorner said:

I'll come forward and admit that I play the Billy Cardigan character. I'm sorry this seems so universally unappealing to thefretboard. How can I do better?
    By treating the band as serious musicians doing a skilled professional job - not patronising them apparently on the basis that Dua Lipa is a 'pop singer' with an attempt at comedy aimed at her average audience age, perhaps...

Would you have interviewed Nuno Bettencourt in the same way when he was touring with Rihanna?
    I may have if I knew who Nuno Bettencourt was!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ArenaCorner said:

I may have if I knew who Nuno Bettencourt was!
    Calling @digitalscream ...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2019
    This dude is the best..

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    edited February 2019
    @ArenaCorner Presumably it's supposed to be a piss-take/humorous thing, and not a serious rig rundown?

If so (and assuming the artists involve know this) I would suggest that you need to find a way to totally master dead-pan, and also develop some quirkier off-beat ideas that genuinely throw people or make them think about context. And try to get a little bit more actual content in there, so even in the midst of parody/mockery the viewer still feels like they maybe learnt something or were at least entertained.

And seriously, go and watch every single "Philomena Cunk's World of Wonders" and "Cunk on ..." segments that you can find (Charlie Brooker/Diane Morgan) and unpick what makes those great.

{Edit: if it's supposed to be serious, I need recalibrating}
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Snags said:

I would suggest that you need to find a way to totally master dead-pan, and also develop some quirkier off-beat ideas that genuinely throw people or make them think about context. And try to get a little bit more actual content in there, so even in the midst of parody/mockery the viewer still feels like they maybe learnt something or were at least entertained.
    And stop flashing that massively annoying title card every thirty seconds. That made me want to punch the screen almost as much as the presenting.

• sweepy said:
    Possibly, he’s trying to be amusing and failing miserably
    I had assumed this was a joke but it turns out it really is you. 

I love a rig rundown but with that approach I'm obviously not in the target audience. I'm quite impressed by people who got as far as 5 minutes into it.

The Premier Guitar people are a bit blundering but they do some research and are respectful. It's an approach which can be a bit boring but as an interview technique it's often a good way to let artists show what absolute twats they can be ( yes Steve Morse, yes The Darkness...). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Just watched it... what a complete load of shit.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Whether it was real or parody doesn't matter. It was totally boring unfunny shit. I would advise against a career in comedy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    Whether it was real or parody doesn't matter. It was totally boring unfunny shit. I would advise against a career in comedy.
    your advice has been noted
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    sweepy said:
    Consider giving it up. If it was meant to be comedy, it failed. If it was meant to be insightful, it failed. If you were going for something in between, it failed.

I guess if I’m being fair minded - you succeeded if you were aiming to be disrespectful.

You did ask.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26618
    edited February 2019
    dindude said:
    sweepy said:
    Consider giving it up. If it was meant to be comedy, it failed. If it was meant to be insightful, it failed. If you were going for something in between, it failed.

I guess if I’m being fair minded - you succeeded if you were aiming to be disrespectful.

You did ask.

This is probably the most constructive advice here. Basically, consider the objectives of the video:

1 - Provide a rig rundown that people might want to see.
    2 - Provide entertainment.
    3 - Build an audience.

Because your approach to #2 is such a niche taste, most folk won't go past a minute or two (which means that #1 fails due to lack of audience retention, and so #3 fails by default) and it feels a bit like the opportunities you have - interviewing much bigger artists than your channel size would normally allow you to get hold of - might be a little wasted.

While I appreciate that it's difficult to find a unique angle for YouTube content these days, it might be an idea to abandon this particular persona as it doesn't seem like it's really working and come up with something less Marmite in appeal.

Also, on a more personal note, if you genuinely haven't got a clue who Nuno Bettencourt is, I weep for your soul.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Fuck me, if the attitude of "That was shit, give up" is this pervasive, rather than "That was shit but you could learn why and do it better" I'm amazed anyone here ever learnt to play an instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    sweepy said:

You did ask.

This is probably the most constructive advice here. Basically, consider the objectives of the video:

3 - Build an audience.

Because your approach to #2 is such a niche taste, most folk won't go past a minute or two (which means that #1 fails due to lack of audience retention, and so #3 fails by default) and it feels a bit like the opportunities you have - interviewing much bigger artists than your channel size would normally allow you to get hold of - might be a little wasted.

While I appreciate that it's difficult to find a unique angle for YouTube content these days, it might be an idea to abandon this particular persona as it doesn't seem like it's really working and come up with something less Marmite in appeal.

Also, on a more personal note, if you genuinely haven't got a clue who Nuno Bettencourt is, I weep for your soul.
    So I should develop a new character? What should that character be like?
    First off, work out what you're actually trying to do:

- provide a rig rundown, but in a different way
    - provide comic relief under the guise of rig rundowns/artist interviews, but where the point is missing the point

Then work up from that.

Assuming this whole thread isn't some meta-wind-up, of course ;)
    ArenaCorner said:

Like you. You don't need a 'character' - if you're at all interested in guitar gear, you'll be fine... your target audience is guitar geeks like us.

That is, assuming that isn't your normal character already, of course :).

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    dindude said:
    sweepy said:

You did ask.

3 - Build an audience.

That's more like it. That was actually funny.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11790
    sweepy said:
    Really?  Or are you winding us up?

OK, if it is you, my feedback would be...

The overall product you have produced there is weak.  The problem is, it isn't clear which bits are supposed to be serious and which ones aren't.  Are your low production values deliberate or is it because you are a young channel, for example?  You are trying to do comedy alongside an actual rig rundown?  Ultimately, you also need some playing in there, there is no point showing a lot of pedals without showing how they affect the sound.

Being funny while being rude is really hard.  Maybe you respect Dua Lipa, maybe you don't, but it comes across like you really don't, because she is "pop" not "rock".  It doesn't come across like you are ridiculing that attitude, it sounds like you really think it.  I'll give you credit and say the character is supposed to be an idiot and thinks stupid things, but that is really hard to get right and you need to work on it.

Snag's comment on Philomena Cunk is spot on.  She is borderline rude due to ignorance, but it's wrapped in a genuine affection and enthusiasm so as a character she is incredibly likeable.  As a parody of presenters who genuinely know nothing about their subjects, she is spot on.  As a surreal experiment in abuse of the English language, she is spot on, if I remember correctly...  "school was much easier in Shakespeare's time, because you didn't have to study Shakespeare..." is just superb...

To be a bit kinder though, watch old footage of any comedian at the start of their career, their material is usually awful.  Give yourself a few years, and I'm sure you will do fine.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    I thought it was pretty funny...although I'm not sure how long those jokes would last if repeated in every episode.

I thought the editing was great too. Deliberately naff done very well.

There's so many boring review channels now and Premier Guitar rundowns are as dull as dishwater, so why not take the piss out of them a little bit? No harm done.