Sabbath, Metallica, Nirvana pedals

What's Hot
Bar_RyBar_Ry Frets: 0
Morning all,

So I was expecting to buy some Marshall pedals, but the seller isn’t replying anymore, so I’m going to be specific and get what I need for what me and my Son want to play.....

We are into various styles of music, but rock/metal/grunge is the current focus. What pedals would be a good buy to get the Sabbath/Metallica/Nirvana/Hendrix/Floyd etc. sounds, separate pedals, or an all-in-one, like the ME 80 or similar?

Thanks in advance 

Baz
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6760
    Out of all those I think only Hendrix used Marshalls. Might be wrong... 

I'd suggest a basic overdrive pedal that can get you the Metallica levels of drive, alongside a fuzz pedal that could help with Floyd, Hendrix and Nirvana tones. 

And a phaser like the Phase 95 that can double up as a vibe type pedal as well covers a lot of sonic territory.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    Sabbath - Catalinbread Sabbra Cadabra.

Hendrix - Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Not sure what there is for the others, but those two are almost hilariously accurate - if what you want is 'canned' versions of the sounds. A multi-FX would give you a lot more flexibility, but there's quite a big learning curve to creating sounds, especially if you're aiming for something specific.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The classic Nirvana pedals are a Boss DS-2 and an EHX Small Clone Chorus. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Into what amp?
    Budget? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I have a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 36 combo, and an SG
  • Metallica used RAT pedal into  aMarshall early on iirc...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I would go with a multi-fx unit.  You will save money and they are quite versatile.  The ME units from Boss are good and will definitely get you into the territory you are after.  Plus, there are lots of patches available online to get you started with the settings you need. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7089
    Another vote for multifx - you’re trying to cover a lot of tonal ground from Pink Floyd through Hendrix, Sabbath, Nirvana and Metallica.  In addition to the wildly different effects they used, there’s quite a diversity there in terms of amplifiers and guitars.  Realistically, a multi-fx unit is the best option for getting you in the right area without spending a fortune.
  • Bar_RyBar_Ry Frets: 0
    edited February 2019
    Okay, thanks for the replies, next question, what multi-fx, I have no experience with any

Something easy to use, where presets are easy to name, call up etc. not put a budget in it as I’ll probably get on interest free somewhere, but nothing too expensive :0)
  • Can't you just use the dirty channel on your amp and set the gain and EQ to suit?

Any music is all about how you play it, not what you play it through
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Can't you just use the dirty channel on your amp and set the gain and EQ to suit?

True up to a point, but for Hendrix you'll really need a wah, for Nirvana a chorus, and for Pink Floyd a delay, or you won't get anything very satisfyingly 'close' even if you dial in a passable basic tone on the amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Can't you just use the dirty channel on your amp and set the gain and EQ to suit?

True up to a point, but for Hendrix you'll really need a wah, for Nirvana a chorus, and for Pink Floyd a delay, or you won't get anything very satisfyingly 'close' even if you dial in a passable basic tone on the amp.
    how often did Kurt Cobain use a chorus?

I dont know enough of the other twos back catalogue to comment
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    meltedbuzzbox said:

I don’t know how often overall, but it’s on some of the best-known songs - you can certainly play them without, but it sounds better with if you’re trying to get close to the original sound.

You can play the *songs* on an acoustic guitar if you want, but that isn’t quite the same thing :).

ICBM said:

I dont know enough of the other twos back catalogue to comment
    It’s all over Nevermind; most prominently in Come As a You Are, but also the clean parts of lots of the others.  Smells Like Teen Spirit, Drain You, In Bloom, etc.  Without a chorus pedal you’ll never get that distinctive watery shimmer.

https://youtu.be/vabnZ9-ex7o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    edited February 2019
    Using chorus even once is too often.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:

So speaketh a survivor of the 80s ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The small clone is a really nice effect in its own right to be fair. And quite versatile. I've not found an equivalent on the modelling units I've had. Close enough though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    Sassafras said:

So speaketh a survivor of the 80s ;)
    I like chorus.

So there :).

And I did grow up in the 1980s too... of course, it got horribly overused, just like pretty much everything does, but it's a great effect when used well and not *all* the time.

• Looking at the Boss ME80, or GT100, opinions on these, (or others) please, or are they all much the same? Thanks
  • Really does depend on what tones you want. I know it sounds bad but you can't just reel off a bunch of bands and expect us to give you meaningful answers.

Hendrix had the fuzz thing and clean thing going on. Nirvana had the chorus and all out balls to the wall distortion going on. Metallica has the crystal clean and metal thing going on and don't even get me started on Floyd. 

May be easier to name some songs, perhaps, mate.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922