Sabbath, Metallica, Nirvana pedals

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72680
    Bar_Ry said:
    Looking at the Boss ME80, or GT100, opinions on these, (or others) please, or are they all much the same? Thanks
    In terms of the individual effects and sounds all the Boss series are roughly similar at similar age points. The main difference between the ME and GT series is in the amount and method of programmability - the GT is far more powerful, but far more complex and with much more of a learning curve. The ME series uses mostly knobs and is very intuitive to use, but lacks routing options... whether that matters depends on how you usually order the effects.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Okay, thanks for the replies, maybe I’ll buy pedals relevant to the individual groups to get the desired sounds, and build up a collection over time; I was hoping a multi FX would do the trick, and save money. Could get quite expensive!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Bar_Ry said:
    Okay, thanks for the replies, maybe I’ll buy pedals relevant to the individual groups to get the desired sounds, and build up a collection over time; I was hoping a multi FX would do the trick, and save money. Could get quite expensive!

if you're willing to put a bit of time into learning a multi-fx, it'll be a larger spend out up front, but ALOT cheaper than the individual pedal rabbit hole of comparisons /buying&selling.

second hand boss multifx can be got for a similar price to some standalone pedals I believe.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • you can over think all this. The amp ought to provide the dirt required.

delay for gilmour, tone city do a tape delay.
    small stone for come as you are
    cry baby for hendrix

look in the classifieds here for 2nd hand options
    Bar_Ry said:

I was hoping a multi FX would do the trick, and save money.
    It will. The simpler ones like the Boss ME series and the Zoom G3/G5 etc aren't really that much harder to use than a handful of pedals in one box.

sgosden said:

second hand boss multifx can be got for a similar price to some standalone pedals I believe.
    Exactly - the ME-50 sells for around or even under £100, for example.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The thing with these is... it's easy to get wrapped up in piles of fx without considering how they interact..

The best advices I could offer is to find one that behaves like individual pedals... it helps when switching between the two eco-systems.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

The best advices I could offer is to find one that behaves like individual pedals... it helps when switching between the two eco-systems.
    This is why I keep coming back to the ME-50 like a stuck record - put it in Manual mode and that's exactly what it does. You have a distortion pedal, a modulation pedal, a delay pedal (all with multiple different sounds), a wah/expression pedal, a compressor, a reverb and a 'tone modify' (which is best turned off, but could perhaps be useful for something...), and a built-in tuner. No menus or programming, just knobs. It doesn't do amp modelling, but that doesn't matter if you're going to connect it to a real amp.

It does have some fairly major limitations as a multi-FX, but as a simple all-in-one pedalboard for someone who really can't be bothered with the learning curve of most other units, I've never come across anything that beats it. The only real flaw I can think of for this job is that if you're in Manual mode, you can't save more than one type of distortion - you have to manually re-adjust the settings.

• Kurt used a Rat on Nirvana's 1989 and '90 visits to the UK.  I got to see his pedals (no board) at the gigs I saw on both those tours.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the ME-50 is a great shout for this use case. Easy to use, has all the basic sounds and would allow the OP to experiment without spending a fortune or having to worry about the intricacies of putting together a pedalboard.