Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited February 2019
    Sorry for the delay in responding,  I did in fact park at Waitrose,  tip #1 for Andertons is allow 20 mins at least to find a parking space. With retail companies failing by the hour you'd think Councils would give shoppers half a chance to spend some money.

So with 90s mins parking I dashed to Andertons via some alleys, in my SE London you wouldn't but in Guildford you don't think twice.
    Andertons is on a main A road with about 5 spaces outside to park. I went in , acoustics hit you first, but I was TRULY shocked,
    the place was heaving, busier than any music shop I have ever seen. 
    If anyone doubts the power of You Tube and social media marketing, and their postive effect on bricks n mortar shops should visit here.
    It was impossible to just stand and look at anything without some double busy member of staff ushering you out of the way. 
    Too busy and noisy to actually carefully choose an expensive purchase, so I wandered around. 
    Maybe the amount of people didn't help but the layout was a bit confusing, guitars and amps in different sections. 
    In size and layout it reminded me of GAK. 
    After about 30 mins I did manage to get someone's attention, can't blame the saturday boys, it was mental. 
    I enquired about some valve amps that were knew to me, he didn't really have much product knowledge so that was a no go.
    I asked if it was always this busy, even on Sundays and they said yes.
    I'd love to go back when it's quieter. I can't overestimate just how busy it was, with queues 4 deep for quiet dem rooms.
    Quite refreshing to see an actual shop doing so well, when I visit my normal West End shops I am normally one of the only people in there.
    Had wander around Guildford, after moving the car and another 20 mins trying to find a space. 
    Nice market town ,bit posh, but not as posh as it'd like to be, like a big Sevenoaks. It was, without doubt, the whitest big town I have ever been to. 
    Nothing really caught my eyes or ears here, the Gretsch selection was small and lacking and not one Rickenbacker guitar in sight, lots and LOTS of Fenders, and pointy guitars.

So back in the car after a quick "Five Guys" and off to Farnham and Guitar Village.- it's about a 20 min drive, mainly in a straight line.  I guessed where to park , and ended up having to walk throught the town to get to the shop, what a pretty little town, and it's not a village, far too big, beautiful high street, this is the type of Surrey high street that inspired many Monty Python sketches  and makes Guildford look like Lewisham.

Guitar Village is a just a beautiful place, old house that has kept it's features, surprisingly big, I'd say the floor space is no smaller than Andertons as it has lots of showroom space upstairs.
    Quiet, calm, relaxing, I'd take some sandwiches, a flask and stay there all day.
    No staff visible anywhere, just left alone.
    There were about 4 other people in there. 
    Lots of very interesting guitars, amp choice a bit small. 
    They had an Italia Jeff Foskitt tribute (one of my favourite musicians), loads of Ricks including a matt black 330, new to me, and some tasty paisley relic'd Fenders.
    From what little prices I saw , I think the place is quite expensive compared to the bigger shops, but a great place to shop.

I bought a strap, and nearly Fender Pro Jr IV. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    /\ Andertons is/was always heaving on a Sat - well before YTubage
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I'd definitely not go to Anderton's on a Saturday by the sound of it. I hate shoppe...no, wait...

PEOPLE! I hate people! That would have sent me over the edge. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I reckon @kt66 got back hours ago,  he was just busy writing that epic tale. 
    My original intention was to get a small valve combo 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    kt66 said:
    Why didn’t you go for the Fender?
  • @kt66 ; It's really unfortunate that you had to go on a Saturday - although I realise you probably didn't have a lot of choice. I've been to Andertons quite a few times, but always on a weekday and usually within an hour of opening time. It's a very different experience then from what you describe: much more relaxed and pleasant.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Ah, see I've only ever been there on a weekday, and I make my time of arrival around the 12pm mark to avoid all traffic at the bridge coming back. 

Its about 1hr 40 there if I stop to piss, and smoke.. 

But I don't think I've ever had a visit where its been busy. Certainly always busier than most high street shops, but no-ones in your way. 

Parking is a pain in the arsehole though. 
    I've managed to get on the drive several times, but when I havent, theres a small garage just past the pub to the right of Andertons (as if you're walking out of Andertons), and the road the garage is on the corner of has some bays.

Make sure to read the signs, just incase they've changed, but they're free parking for x amount of time (2hrs I think). They look exactly the same as the resident only signs and bays that are down the side roads closest to Andertons, at first glance. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    edited February 2019
    I was in there last Saturday, around 3-ish and it was heaving, but based on many visits to the shop over the last few years, that's a typical Saturday there, and even Sundays are like that.

I couldn't find a space and so dropped off Mrs.KK and KK Jr. She went in and told them what I wanted to demo etc. Within 15 mins, someone had left from the spaces across the road and I parked up. Walked in and all was already set up for me as requested (a couple of Sire basses for comparison and a Rumble bass amp).

I was approached several times by people asking if I needed help and the service, deal and experience was good. A lot of youngsters trying things with parents. A lot of kids in there playing on things whilst their parents tried things, but staff, although rushed off their feet, seemed patient and ok about that.

By contrast, the drum and piano depts were quieter to the demo rooms and main floor and they certainly have a lot of staff in there these days, but I'm pleased to see what is effectively a powerful independent doing so well.

GG, GV and Andertons, or 'The Surrey Ring of Music Shops' as I call them are a good day out but I'd recommend visiting on a weekday as it's completely different experience.

I know they'd love to expand, preferably to the space next door rather than move to a different site or industrial estate but it's a good spot and has so much history attached to it for the family.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Really encouraging to know Andertons was as busy as it was. Guitar music is not going away completely 

I read recently that there's been a big uptick in teenagers participating in music making. A lot of that is computer based, especially in low income households
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited February 2019
    Don't particularly like Andertons, too claustrophobic and I don't get what the big deal is. meh.

Have never found the Ripley place open, is it cool?
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I tend to visit Andertons during the day in the week.

If I'm out for work and pass that way at around lunchtime I will stop for a coke in the pub a few doors up and visit Andertons afterwards.

By far and away the best time as you get the full attention of about 3 staff, not over bearing at all, just wanting to shoot the breeze and talk guitars which is fine by me!

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited February 2019
    pmbomb said:
    Don't particularly like Andertons, too claustrophobic and I don't get what the big deal is. meh.

Have never found the Ripley place open, is it cool?
    is quirky and uncool  - the Ripley guy gives guitar lessons in the shop, so the student has to keep stopping and waiting whilst he serves or answers the phone!

You can Google map inside the tidly shop:
    https://www.ripleyguitars.co.uk/

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    kt66 said:
    Andertons and Guitar Village here I come, lock up your daughters.
    Avoid the south part of the M25 if I were you. 
    Are you an Audi driver by any chance?
    How very dare you - Volvo 1800s and S80 D5 
    edited May 2019
    kt66 said:
    Because it was too busy to try out at Andertons and too expensive at GV. I'm no tyre kicker
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    kt66 said:
    kt66 said:
    Because it was too busy to try out at Andertons and too expensive at GV. I'm no tyre kicker
    Ah fair enough 
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 256
    whens the best time to visit andertons as I want to try various stuff?  will hit GV also.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Th4fonz said:
    whens the best time to visit andertons as I want to try various stuff?  will hit GV also.
    Weekday, preferably between opening and lunchtime
  • Th4fonz said:
    will hit GV also.

Bit harsh.  What have they ever done to you?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 256
    Th4fonz said:
    will hit GV also.

Bit harsh.  What have they ever done to you?
    nothing yet....

I went there once years ago and was a nice experience :)