Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The best British Guitarist?

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6967
    Because Simon Cowell. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:
    Because Simon Cowell. 

soma1975 said:

To be fair the crap manufacturing of pop music has been around since the 50’s! It’s just Guitar bands use to be able to keep up. For me a lot of it had to do with illegal down loads. It killed off a lot of indie lables and made it almost impossible for bands to make a living 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14700
    Oasis were probably that last true British rock and roll band.
    I hope not.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6967
    Cowell/Fuller et al put an absolute stranglehold on what music people/companies/stations are allowed to play. Whether it be on tv or on radio. Up to including, 'you want to play act A you have to also play acts X,Y and Z...'

It's meant that it is very rare for artists outside the big established members of the 'cartel' to achieve sustained mainstream success unless they join. 

Illegal downloads is the excuse record companies now use for not paying their artists instead of just not offering an excuse at all. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1356
    edited February 2019
    No such thing as best but if I had to pick two guitarists that I would consider to be amongst the best but are hardly known they would be..

Francis Dunnery
    Alan Murphy

Both amazing and don’t get any of the credit they deserve..

Si
  • Oasis were probably that last true British rock and roll band.
    I hope not.
    Nothing wrong with Oasis like 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Justin Hawkins, obviously! 
    Johnny Marr
    Billy Duffy

Link to my trading feedback
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    So, we're all agreed. There are literally dozens of best guitarists  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    Micky Jones late of MAN was brilliant too...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've met a few people who honestly believe themselves to be the best ever.
    I meet plenty of dads who think their son is going to be the next big thing.
    Well he is. There's simply no doubt about it.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7349
    Richard Thompson is no slouch...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

American is still producing the goods with the likes of Gary Clarke Jr, Black Keys ect so why are we not? 
    Ever heard Jake Bugg? Far more inspiring as a guitar player than either of those two, and a lot younger as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    I hope not.
    Welcome to the fretboard. Even though Mr Gallagher plays the much loved minor pentatonic because it’s not blues based it won’t ever be up to their standards. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Either David Gilmour or Bill Nelson, both extremely talented and tasteful.
  • For me it's Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi and Adrian Smith.

• Jeff Beck for pure innovation.  
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited February 2019
    The ‘guitar hero’ thing was a 1970s construct. Rock was new and it hit the mainstream. Bands - even crappy pop bands - stuck to the guitar, bass, drum, keys, vox lineup because that was what there was.
    the late 70s was fascinating because rock had been hijacked and become so mainstream it was just bland - Eagles, Boston, etc. There was an explosion of electronic music because synths were a thing. Punk lasted ten minutes, but morphed into New Wave and tended to be guitar based. Disco was huge. Reggae hit the mainstream. Ska. New singer songwriters. Retro acts. Novelty acts. The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal. And so on and so forth.
    There has always been pop music and since the 60s there has always been rock music. 
    The term ‘guitar hero’ is outdated. Ironic, considering that Guitar Hero is one of PlayStation’s biggest selling franchises of all time. If you’re looking for men with long hair grimacing while they rip up screaming solos as the benchmark of whether the electric guitar is still a going concern or not then... well, times have changed.
    The blues scene is alive and well. The jazz scene is a self contained bubble that will go on forever. And there are loads of guitar based artists making new music and selling well. Wolf Alice are one of the best British bands around just now. Savages also receive a huge amount of press attention and respect. Anna Calvi plays a mean guitar. Coldplay sell billions. St Vincent and Jack White both take a fresh approach to the sounds a guitar can make.
    Metal is still huge, isn’t it? There’s your screaming solos right there.
    There’s probably more music being made and being sold now than there ever has been - which is part of the problem in itself. There’s such a ginormous diversity of sounds out there - available at the click of a button - that sometimes people get blindsided and don’t know where to look or what to look for.
    To some - Chuck Berry is the pinnacle of guitar excellence. For others, Kurt Cobain is the main man. Some people get excited over the Sunset Strip hair Metal thing. Whatever. That’s personal taste. Don’t get the Radio One playlist confused with what’s out there and how many talented, original and great musicians under thirty there are making new music.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Who ever it is it's highly doubtful he or she plays pop, blues or rock. If you only use objective factors, like technique , range of music and depth of knowledge, then I'd go for John McLaughlin. As fast at improvisation in 1969 as EVH was in 1979. Holdsworth and McLaughlin were both so further ahead of their time than any other UK players it has to be one or the other. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lonestar said:
    I hope not.
    Welcome to the fretboard. Even though Mr Gallagher plays the much loved minor pentatonic because it’s not blues based it won’t ever be up to their standards. 
    Haha! Noel is a legend and has wrote some classics, not many band can claim to define an era. I think Noel Gallagher is very underrated on their first Album. He had a great raw sound in the early days
    I hope not.