Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

String cleaning

What's Hot
Inspired by the recent "String advice" thread...

Do you clean your strings? 

I tend to fit new strings before a gig.  During the gig I sweat like a first time burglar and coat the strings in the stuff. 

At rehearsal the following week I can feel that the strings have lost their sparkle and they feel too grippy compared to new ones and despite my desire not to,  invariably I restring before the next gig. 

There's no point using elixir or coated string as it's mainly the sweat corrosion not the tone loss I struggle with.  I've swapped between EBs, d'darrio, fenders over the years and its just the same with any. 

How can anyone keep a set of strings on for multiple gigs?   Is there some secret string cleaning technique I don't yet know about?  Tips please.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited February 2019
    Easy - just wipe down your strings, including underneath them, after every use and you can keep them sounding sparklier and feeling smoother for longer by using GHS FastFret - just apply and wipe down afterwards.  I've followed this discipline for over 25 years and I can assure you it really helps to make your strings last a lot longer.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11963
    Inspired by the recent "String advice" thread...

Do you clean your strings? 

I tend to fit new strings before a gig.  During the gig I sweat like a first time burglar and coat the strings in the stuff. 

At rehearsal the following week I can feel that the strings have lost their sparkle and they feel too grippy compared to new ones and despite my desire not to,  invariably I restring before the next gig. 

There's no point using elixir or coated string as it's mainly the sweat corrosion not the tone loss I struggle with.  I've swapped between EBs, d'darrio, fenders over the years and its just the same with any. 

How can anyone keep a set of strings on for multiple gigs?   Is there some secret string cleaning technique I don't yet know about?  Tips please.  
    I don't follow your point
    Elixirs have stainless steel plain strings, so can't corrode, and the wound strings are coated, so your sweat can't reach the windings, so they can't corrode. 

Is it dried oils from your skin on the strings that is the issue?
    I'd try using string cleaners, on Elixirs.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited February 2019
    I don't think theres any secret technique, its just some people kill strings quicker than others, some people are less affected by strings getting gummed up. I dunno. 

Generally most peoples advice would be to wash yer hands before playing and wipe your strings down before and after playing. 

Be careful of using cleaners on coated strings though. 

I'm not sure where I read it but I'm sure I read that fast fret and the like can actually eat or melt the coatings away or something. Though fast fret is just mineral oil right? 

[Edit: I read it on the FAQ page of Elixirs website. They just say they don't recommend using lubes or cleaners]

I struggle with something. Never figured it out. After playing a while, especially if bending or sliding on treble strings, my already softish callouses get softer and everything gets a whole lot more grippy, which really only affects sliding but its annoying as fuck as it throws my accuracy off and makes playing hard and crap. 

Anyway I tried so much stuff.

Fast fret, XLR8, talc, coated, non coated, stainless steel, cobalt. Nothing makes it any better, and often just wastes time and money so I just get on with it as it is now. Some even just felt like they stickied up after a while. 

I used to wash my hands and wait for them to dry whilst touching nothing else 'dirty' before playing.. but it got mental and drove me into bad ocd type shit. It also didnt help in the slightest from what I can really tell. 

Nowadays I just play the damn thing whenever. Unless my hands are actually dirty, which isnt often. Then wipe the strings down after. 

I use a music nomad tool which basically is a washable microfibre pad on a stick which has a lil brush the other end. Slide it over and under the strings. Guess it also cleans the top of the frets too. 

As for your issue, are you certain its corrosion happening? 

I think there are hand washes or creams that are supposed to limit acidic sweat, but I could be making that up... 

My last 2 cent is grim. 

One of the most effective lubes is nose grease, because its free and immediately available. Just rub each finger tip in turn down the side of your nose at the crease between nose and face. 
    Sounds nasty but I heard other guitarists mention it and also other stringed players too. 

Doesnt exactly clean your strings.. but it may help you get through a gig. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33834
    edited February 2019
    I don't seem to have corrosive sweat.
    I've never bothered wiping strings down.

If I lend a guitar to a particular friend he makes the strings rust in no time at all.
    Perhaps he is saltier than I am?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8753
    Inspired by the recent "String advice" thread... Tips please.  
    I don't follow your point
    Elixirs have stainless steel plain strings, so can't corrode, and the wound strings are coated, so your sweat can't reach the windings, so they can't corrode. 

Is it dried oils from your skin on the strings that is the issue?
    I'd try using string cleaners, on Elixirs.

It’s not just corrosion. As you say, oil and dirt can get in between the string windings, and affect their vibration. It can also adhere to the outside surface of strings, particularly on the underside between the fret positions.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When everyone says "wipe the strings down after use"  what do you wipe them down with? 

E.g.?
    Just a plain cloth
    Fast fret
    Special wipes 
    A rasher of bacon
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    edited February 2019
    WD40 spritzed very sparingly onto a clean cloth, draw it over and under the strings. Keeps them clean, zingy and smooth as silk.
    I've got one guitar that hasn't had a string change for about 8 years.
    Don't bother with all the guitar specific rubbish. It's ridiculously expensive and no more effective.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    When everyone says "wipe the strings down after use"  what do you wipe them down with? 

E.g.?
    Just a plain cloth
    Fast fret
    Special wipes 
    A rasher of bacon
    Just a plain lint free cloth over and under the strings.

I push the cloth under the strings at the bridge then grab each end and pull it upwards to the nut. Surprising how much dirt gets underneath. 
  • Dr Ducks Ax Wax on a cloth, wiping down the string vigorously after each time I play it... The sparkle takes longer to fade and there is never any gunky build up
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    edited February 2019
    Sassafras said:
    This is way outta left field...  Not sure I can support this kind of behaviour :D
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Read a few articles about string cleaning.  There one guy who loosens all his strings, rubs them with alcohol then with wire wool then with 3 in 1 oil then tightens and retunes.   Sod that just restring it!

On my guitars I don't gig they've had strings for ages I only change them if they break which is almost never. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Stick an A4 sheet under strings and do a freshner with an antibac wet wipe or for a remedial, get a soft cloth and some Brasso and do a hard rub and shine. Good for when is no time to change strings but need silken stands under your finger pads!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Sassafras said:
    This is way outta left field...  Not sure I can support this kind of behaviour :D
    I know, it even offends me now I think about it. The funny thing is, it still sounds OK.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I rarely clean my strings. I also rarely change them.

I just take my guitars to a gig, play them, put them back in the case and take them out again next gig/rehearsal.

If i notice crud on them, I'll wipe them down with a cloth/tissue. If I notice divots under them, where they contact the frets, I might think about changing them.

Old strings never bother me, unless they buzz or start going out of tune.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    As a spotty yoof my hands used to sweat badly too. In those far off days we all gigged 2-3 times a week so I tried to get a set of strings to last the whole weekend by wiping them after every use and then replaceing mid week after rehersal ready for the next weekend.
    These days my hands at least don't suffer quite the same, but the shirts still get soaked. I also tend to use more than one guitar often, and gig probably no more than twice a month. I still wipe down the strings, but they seem to last a lot longer (less use maybe).
    I cant get on with any coated strings, so having a plentyful supply of good cheap strings in stock has become my standard. Pyramids from That big German discount retailer, I bung a few packets on if I do an order for something else and save carriage.
  • I just wipe them with a dry microfiber cloth and they seem to last well enough- I tend to knacker the wound strings by pressing too hard because I'm a talentless heavy handed gonk sometimes.

I'm also still chuckling at "sweating like a first time burglar" will be using that one, cheers!
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    I just wipe the strings down with a normal household duster, including underneath. Then I use Fast Fret on them, wipe them again then reapply the stuff lightly and leave it on. This has worked for me for many years. I change the set every three or four gigs or so, and the top E usually every gig.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13958
    edited February 2019

I used to use Kyser but I don't think it did much that a wipe with a dry cloth could do. I just use a microfibre cloth after playing now and wash hands before playing.

I did use Kyser on some uncoated acoustic strings once and it dulled the tone instantly so avoided it again.

• I can easily make a set of elixirs last a year on electric, and they still feel nice and slippy through that whole time.  In contrast, Ernie balls used to last about 2 hours before feeling really horrible and looking gross. 

To the OP, it's definitely worth trying something coated. You might not like them, but if it's long-lasting new-string-feeling you want then they're a good bet.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom