Filling a routing ?

What's Hot
baldybaldy Frets: 195
I want to fill a single coil routing, what is the best way to do it, completely fill it with filler or shape & fit a piece of timber then a bit of filler to finish ?
What filler is recommended please ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    edited February 2019
    baldy said:
    I want to fill a single coil routing, what is the best way to do it, completely fill it with filler or shape & fit a piece of timber then a bit of filler to finish ?
    What filler is recommended please ?

Don't completely fill it with filler! o

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• When I was working on this, I shaped a block of hardwood and glued it in. This pic is prior to any further shaping, grain-filling, etc,

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    edited February 2019
    So shape & glue in a piece of hardwood close to the size of the route & finish off with a bit of filler ?
    What filler would be best ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks H7 & Elwood.
    I have some hardwood that I can shape to size although I doubt I will get such a seamless fit as in that video so as not to need a bit of filler.
    It is a cheap guitar that I am changing the pickup configuration on & then swapping pups & all hardware as I have enough parts lying around.
    Also going to try swapping it from a six point trem to a string thru/T-O-M bridge set up.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Save the sawdust/sanding dust from the piece you are using to fill. Mix with your PVA glue to form a filler that matches and apply that. If the gaps are quite large, make small wedge shaped shims and glue them in the cracks first (getting the grain direction correct helps a lot).

Thanks for all the advice.
    I have swapped a lot of hardware & am fine doing that but have never touched a body, you may have guessed.
    This is the guitar at present, an old Yamaha ERG 121 that I gave £20 for

It has a bridge pick up that doesn"t work, crackly pots & an unstable trem (presently blocked off) but is not in bad condition body wise, neck & frets are fine & I quite like the neck.
    I have a few sets of HB"s laying around, plus locking tuners, pots, knobs, selector switches, a roller T-O-M, & output jack sockets. 
    The only thing I would need to buy really are some string thru body ferrules.
    Just have to decide on hardware colour as I might change the guitars colour being as I will have to spray it.
    Any suggestions on body/headstock colour & hardware colour greatly appreciated.
    For reference I have black uncovered HB"s, gold covered HB"s, gold or chrome tuners, a chrome roller bridge, black or chrome knobs.
    edited February 2019
    The bridge is going to be a problem as the current Sun Il trem has the strings about 12mm off the body where as ABR1/T-O-M/Wraparounds sem to have the strings about 15-16mm off the body at their lowest setting.
    Any suggestions of a fixed bridge that will bring the strings around 12mm off the body ?
    String spacing is 10.5mm or 52.5mm overall.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14566
    edited February 2019
    IMHO, there would be no shame in leaving the pickup cavity empty. 

Apart from anything else, I suspect that the drilled hole, through which the output cable from the neck position pickup passes, connects all three pickup cavities.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Yes it does but I could machine a hole in the infill block running between the holes.
    I don"t really want to leave the cavity empty TBH purely for aesthetics.

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 455
    edited February 2019
    You can buy single coil pick blanks looks like a single coil with no pole piece holes. There is nothing in it, so you can screw it down, out of the way of your picking hand. Could be a simple fix?

edited February 2019
    Got a link please ?
    Oh I see.
    Although a lot more work I think I would prefer to fill the hole with wood.
    I have to decide what I am going to do bridge wise next.
    I have found a bridge that I think will give me the correct height off the body I need but not sure if it will give much sustain.

I fitted a steel block to the same trem on my Yamaha RGX as the original didn"t have much sustain & that greatly improved sustain over the standard zinc? one.
    The fixed bridge above, I would imagine, will have as little or even less sustain than the stock Sun Il that is on the guitar at present.
    EDIT: Thinking about it there is nothing to stop me using the above bridge string thru style, is there ?