Real time 3rds/4ths harmoniser pedal

What's Hot
Lizzy again. I need a harmoniser pedal
to cover the weird harmony intervals in the usual Lizzy numbers on one guitar. Last time I looked a programmable shifter hadn’t been invented yet (t’was a while ago). Anybody know what my best bet is without resorting to using an expression pedal to switch intervals while I’m playing?
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't think there's anything that will switch between thirds and fourths without you having to do *anything*, but the Line 6 M5 with an expression pedal can toggle between "intelligent" thirds and fourths, meaning you only need the pedal occasionally (I think...), and it won't break the bank either. 

I don't know for sure of anything else that will even get you that close.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• @english_bob Thanks. Can’t believe someone hasn’t come up with one yet. There aren’t many gaps in the pedal market but this one needs filling. 
  • ^ I'm not sure how it could be done. Even if it could I imagine it would be a nightmare to program.

But then I'm not a DSP engineer.

• @english_bob I’ve used a harmoniser before but as soon as the harmonic interval shifts it sounds like the worst bum note you’ve ever played. There’s got to be something out there. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    digitech whammy pedal? pretty sure you can have 4th / 5th  set for heel down/ up
  • Boss GT-1000 has programmable pitch shifting / harmonisers in that you can define the scale.  As does the Axe-FX II.

The Eventide PitchFactor is a bit of a beauty too.

• Boss GT-1000 has programmable pitch shifting / harmonisers in that you can define the scale.  As does the Axe-FX II.

The Eventide PitchFactor is a bit of a beauty too.

So is the price  :o
  • sgosden said:
    digitech whammy pedal? pretty sure you can have 4th / 5th  set for heel down/ up
    You can, but it doesn't have the "intelligent" aspect of other harmonizers where if you tell it the key it will automatically give you, for instance, a major or minor third. 

As I understand it, the OP is looking for a pedal that will harmonize in thirds in a given key (which requires an "intelligent" harmonizer"), but occasionally in fourths too (which requires unicorns).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosden said:
    You can, but it doesn't have the "intelligent" aspect of other harmonizers where if you tell it the key it will automatically give you, for instance, a major or minor third. 

As I understand it, the OP is looking for a pedal that will harmonize in thirds in a given key (which requires an "intelligent" harmonizer"), but occasionally in fourths too (which requires unicorns).

Yes. Send me unicorns. Send them now. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    sgosden said:

ah ok I gotcha.

wear unicorn socks and do it with the pedal ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @english_bob I’ve used a harmoniser before but as soon as the harmonic interval shifts it sounds like the worst bum note you’ve ever played. There’s got to be something out there. 

If you were playing over a sequenced backing track it could have built-in MIDI messages that told the harmonizer to do different things at different times, but unless the harmonizer is being "told"- either by you or by some other pre-programmed source- what to do, it would have to somehow have the capacity to decide for itself.

Not too tricky when it only has one set of rules to follow (Here are the intervals of the major scale. Here is the key. Produce a tone a third above the note I play.), but asking it to decide whether thirds or fourths are more musically appropriate for each given note seems like it would need some serious computing power.

Technically it's probably possible (@WiresDreamDisasters does DSP stuff for a living- he might know better), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist yet as a thing you can buy. 

• JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    sgosden said:
    sgosden said:

ah ok I gotcha.

wear unicorn socks and do it with the pedal ;)

Doesn't the EHX Ring Thing have tunable pitch shiftfing?
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 587
    Only thing I can think of is getting 2 Boss PS-6 pedals off the 'bay to reduce the cost and use a pancake patch cable so they are close enough to hit both pedals at the same time.

Just put big shoes on and you'll be fine.
  • JD50 said:
    Doesn't the EHX Ring Thing have tunable pitch shiftfing?

Yes, but once again it isn't "intelligent", let alone able to switch between harmonizing in thirds and fourths.

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227
    Doesn't Pitchfactor do this?
  • Fishboy7 said:
    I believe that I got dissed in the hood for mentioning that excellent piece of gear.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5179
    edited February 2019
    Fishboy7 said:

I don't own one, but having skimmed the manual I don't think so- at least not without input from the player.

...although it does do a lot of other nutty things I'd forgotten about. Still want one. Still can't afford one.

If you were playing over a sequenced backing track it could have built-in MIDI messages that told the harmonizer to do different things at different times, but unless the harmonizer is being "told"- either by you or by some other pre-programmed source- what to do, it would have to somehow have the capacity to decide for itself.

Not too tricky when it only has one set of rules to follow (Here are the intervals of the major scale. Here is the key. Produce a tone a third above the note I play.), but asking it to decide whether thirds or fourths are more musically appropriate for each given note seems like it would need some serious computing power.

Technically it's probably possible (@WiresDreamDisasters does DSP stuff for a living- he might know better), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist yet as a thing you can buy. 
    It would be way easier to just have the harmonised part pre recorded and then trigger it live. Or even better get an extra guitarist! 
  • Could you have two pedals, one that does intelligent thirds and one set to straight perfect 4ths?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • It would be way easier to just have the harmonised part pre recorded and then trigger it live. Or even better get an extra guitarist! 
    Absolutely. A second human guitarist would be better since a recording would be locked to a particular tempo, which would require a drummer who could do the same...

But the OP wants what he wants...