Searching for a 'Date of Birth' guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I never quite see the fascination of a date of birth guitar. I'd rather have a guitar that's been rubbed over Susanna Hoff's naked body.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    I never quite see the fascination of a date of birth guitar. I'd rather have a guitar that's been rubbed over Susanna Hoff's naked body.
    Eternal Flame Top?

*I'll get my coat
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a guitar that was made on my wedding day. Never really got on with it for some reason...
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    axisus said:
    I like your thinking ! ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Zukabak said:
    axisus said:
    Eternal Flame Top?

*I'll get my coat
    I was thinking more in terms of Wank like an Egyptian ...

*I'll get me tissue
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Much LOLs
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2019
    peteri said:
    Don't want to spoil the hunt or anything - but the chances of the serial number being that accurate are also pretty slim
    You mean me and my recently turned 30 years old Les Paul got drunk together last Wednesday for no apparent reason? Oh well, I did notice that it sounds much better now, and it was a vast improvement over the previous day. 30-year old vintage wood is something else! 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • ZukabakZukabak Frets: 19
    I thought I'd pop a necro bump on this thread.. as a few years have passed, the stars aligned this weekend and my buddy was in need of some cold hard cash.
    So, I'm now the proud owner of a 1980 Gibson 'The SG' (just before they became 'The Firebrand' with a literal branded Gibby headstock logo) that's got my date of birth on the headstock and inside the control cavity. Solid lump of Walnut with the original Bill Lawrence 'Velvet Brick' bridge pickup which is loud as balls.

The whole guitar's original and I've got something extra cool to hand down to my little lad in the future. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2418
    I have a Marshall amp which has a dated production sticker on it. It's exactly a week older than I am.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3032
    Don't do it, you might be in for a huge shock and slap in the face when you find out that some arsehole has decided you are ''vintage''.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28511
    edited March 2023
    Nitefly said:
    Interesting point though - is the "build date" the date they started building it, or the date they finished building it, or the date it left the factory?

I think it's the date they marked the date on it. 

Hope that helps. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569

I was born in 1979.  
    lucky you  -   '64  here, and Ive no kidneys left to sell
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1982 here, which according to the wankers at Gibson,puts me firmly into the vintage category.  May the almighty Jeebus strike these wankers down with plagues, cock rot, boils and any other nasty things he can think off.
  • adam_farmeradam_farmer Frets: 32
    edited March 2023
    I'd been looking for a birth year guitar, but not seriously, and I'd been looking for a Gibson Marauder, and the two things happened to align last year.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    Zukabak said:
    I thought I'd pop a necro bump on this thread.. as a few years have passed, the stars aligned this weekend and my buddy was in need of some cold hard cash.
    So, I'm now the proud owner of a 1980 Gibson 'The SG' (just before they became 'The Firebrand' with a literal branded Gibby headstock logo) that's got my date of birth on the headstock and inside the control cavity. Solid lump of Walnut with the original Bill Lawrence 'Velvet Brick' bridge pickup which is loud as balls.

The whole guitar's original and I've got something extra cool to hand down to my little lad in the future. 
    Those are very cool as guitars anyway. Nice touch to have the date on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11878
    Sadly, 1960 isn't a date which would give me much by way of choice.  Not for anything I actually wanted anyway :-(.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18878
    Zukabak said:

Congratulations on persevering for so long to get to such a great guitar. I have been looking for a walnut 'The SG' for long time to go with my 'The Paul's' but they have eluded me.
    Oh, the birth year thing is a very fun thing to have too :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    axisus said:
     That would be an expensive Custom Shop job. For a fraction of the price you can get a Harley Benton rubbed over by the tea lady.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kilgore said:
    axisus said:
     That would be an expensive Custom Shop job. For a fraction of the price you can get a Harley Benton rubbed over by the tea lady.

And it will be a much better guitar too, and only cost £0.20 delivered to your door.
  • danodano Frets: 1594
    Zukabak said:
    I know that 1980 Les Pauls aren't a particularly desirable model so don't command silly money; but when you consider that only about two hundred were made that day, then maybe only twenty came to the UK and who knows how many 
    I have 1980 Custom, it looks and sounds awesome ! 22nd December 1980 it was made. 1980s doubters are just in denial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom