Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

DGT - A bit stiff?

What's Hot

Comments

• JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    9.5 to 46 on the DGT Goldtop I'm selling on here. Once I tweaked the set up to allow for the change, both felt good but made it and me play differently. Interesting that there was no real difference to the tone with the change, at least to my ears, just the way you play?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

It took a minute or two but I get it now.
    Top bants!

:grin: 
  • I use 10s on my PRS. Haven't tried 9s. I agree can feel a bit stiff. 
    I use 9.5s on my Suhr and it feels slack, in a good way.
  • Man up and go to 13s
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2386
    Grissom uses 11's cos he plays hard, it works for him. He told me he has to bin off the PRS standard nut because they'd only last him a month.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 9 - 46 all the way. Done the heavy string thing, it ain’t healthy. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54 said:
    Grissom uses 11's cos he plays hard, it works for him. He told me he has to bin off the PRS standard nut because they'd only last him a month.
    What does he put on in it's place?

Pretty sure he said it was Teflon. Saw him about five years back and he passed me his No.1 to look over. I noticed the white nut and he said it just wore out the standard one too quickly, even the ones he uses don't make it through the year. The frets on his looked different too , he said that he gets all his guitars refretted and set up by Ed Reynolds in Austin. 

https://ktyarbrough.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/206.jpg
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    11s for me.  I worked my way up to 11s on the SG even went up to 12s which tore my hands up. I haven't gigged in ages so would need to get my hand strength back again.
    The heavy gauges was partly due to tuning stability.  Love the fact the dgt comes with 11s fitted as standard
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited February 2019
    11s shouldn't be a struggle with good technique and good setup
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    11s all the way for me, I tried 10s and way to soft. 
    THIS ! ^^^^

#thebatesmotelband
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    DGT takes month to wear through the nut? What does he use as a pick? A hammer? 
  • It really depends how often you play. At the moment I have 9s on Fenders and 10s on everything else.  If im gigging and rehearsing regularly my fingers will get a bit stronger and I’ll move one gauge up, at least on the longer scale guitars.

But I say bollocks to the “anything less than 11s is wimpy” brigade.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54 said:
    Pretty sure he said it was Teflon. Saw him about five years back and he passed me his No.1 to look over. I noticed the white nut and he said it just wore out the standard one too quickly, even the ones he uses don't make it through the year. The frets on his looked different too , he said that he gets all his guitars refretted and set up by Ed Reynolds in Austin. 

Was your impression that he was having them refretted from new, to something other than the DGT jumbos? Or, for a refret once the originals had worn out. 
    I did read somewhere that he uses something like Delrin for his nuts. I guess all the ones with the standard nut are when he uses an off the peg for clinics etc.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Not going to be doing a great deal of legato with 11”s, so it’s horses for courses 
  • crunchman said:
    I've sold mine now, but I did put 10s on it rather than stick with 11s.

It might be worth experimenting with different strings.  I think that the Newtone 11s might have slightly less tension than some of the other brands.

I've got a similar dilemna with my Gretsch Falcon.  It definitely sounds better with 11s, but 11s on a 25.5" scale is a lot of tension.
    Go to 10.5s, I use them on all Gretsches. I actually screwed up the first joint in my first finger quite badly persevering with 11s on Gretsches because I got it into my head that I HAD to, but when I dropped to 10s it lost too much tone. The 10.5s feel significantly easier to bend but sound pretty much identical.

Having said that, Brian Setzer uses 10s on his Gretsches, as did Chet Atkins, and neither exactly struggled for tone!
  • DeeTee said:
    Steve Young of AC/DC goes through a heavy pick PER SONG live. His guitars are covered in plastic dust by the end of a show
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    DeeTee said:
    It's not the pick, it's the wang-bar use, bending and vibrato. These self-lubricating nuts that are in fashion at the moment aren't very hard-wearing, even if they do keep the guitar in tune better for a while. Usually, the D string bites its way through the nut first until you can't get an open D note to sound. Sauce: Guthrie Govan (now on bone nuts).

StuartMac290 Steve Young of AC/DC goes through a heavy pick PER SONG live. His guitars are covered in plastic dust by the end of a show
    Me too. If I ever get back to gigging in metal band, I need to find a pick that lasts more than half a song. Ultex Sharps start out great, but the tip gets so misshapen it catches in the string. :( I'm not so bothered about the black finish of the guitar showing the plastic dust.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    @DLM - Ah, that makes sense. I don't use a trem, so it's not something I've encountered.
    Strat54 said:

Was your impression that he was having them refretted from new, to something other than the DGT jumbos? Or, for a refret once the originals had worn out. 
    I did read somewhere that he uses something like Delrin for his nuts. I guess all the ones with the standard nut are when he uses an off the peg for clinics etc.
    He certainly gave the impression that they all went to Ed first for that yes.